Wayland Union Schools
Wayland Union Schools utilizes the Reader's and Writer's Workshop model for Language Arts Instruction. Our district utilizes the Lucy Calkins Units of Study for Reading and Writing as the basis of our Language Arts program but supplement based on the needs of students, which vary from year to year. Students in Kindergarten through 3rd grade also complete the Saxon Phonics program in order to establish a firm foundation in phonics skills.
Essential Standards for 3rd Grade Language Arts:
- Ask and answer questions to demonstrate an understanding of the text, referring to the text as the basis for the answers.
- Using text features and search tools to locate information relevant to a given topic efficiently.
- Determine the main idea of a text; recount key details and explain how they support the main idea.
- Produce clear and coherent writing which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
- Develop and strengthen writing by planning, revising, editing, or rewriting.
- Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversation with diverse partners, building on others' ideas and expressing their own persuasively.
In accordance with Michigan's new Third Grade Reading Law, all students must be within one grade level of reading proficiency at the end of their Third Grade year. To read about how you can help your child reach reading proficiency, please check out our Read At Home Plan.
Essential Standards for 3rd Grade Math:
- Add and subtract within 1000
- Multiple and divide numbers. By the end of third grade, have multiplication facts memorized.
- Use place value to round numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
- Understand a fraction as parts of a whole.
- Recognize area as an attribute of plane figures and understand concepts of area measurement.
Parents looking to help their child with math at home might find the following resources useful.
Link to 3rd Grade Social Studies Book (a Michigan Open Book Project Textbook)
Source: MAISA Social Studies 3rd Grade Course Description
Helping your Child at Home
Wayland Union Schools offers access to several different programs that can keep students learning at home. Please read below to learn about the various programs. Usage may vary from grade to grade so please be sure to look at the target audience and work with your child's teacher to maximize the benefit of each program.
Please contact your child's teacher or the Technology Helpdesk (email@example.com) for usernames and passwords for the various websites.
To learn about the different programs that students may utilize at home, click here.