Get information needed to do a job
Make decisions and solve problems
Handle and move objects
Convince others to buy goods or change their minds or actions
Communicate with people outside the organization
Establish and maintain relationships
Organize, plan, and prioritize work
- Flexible Schedule
- Often working indoors or in studios. (May work outdoors when natural lighting is needed)
- Might have to wear protective gear. (depends on the materials or methods being used)
- Occasionally exposed to contaminants, such as paint fumes or dust.
- Has a low level of social interaction. They talk to clients and customers, but spend most of their time alone.
- Usually communicate by phone and/or e-mail.
In the US, A Fine Artist's yearly pay is $26,720 - $65,510
Preparation and / or training
- have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- have a bachelor's degree in a related field.
- complete long-term, on-the-job training.
5 important skills and abilities
- Think of original, unusual, or creative ways to solve problems.
- Think of new ideas about a topic
- Analyze ideas and use logic to determine their strengths and weaknesses.
- Develop rules that group items in various ways.
- Imagine how something will look if it is moved around or its parts are rearranged.
Recommended core classes and electives
- Drawing and Painting
- Printmaking and Graphics