World History Weekly
Week of 1/15/16
Welcome to the new year!
- What is the social contract?
- What did Hobbes believe about the purpose of government? Were people born good or bad?
- How did the Enlightenment change how people viewed the world? How about government?
- What are some of the main causes behind the French Revolution?
- What is the difference between the first, second, and third estate?
Moving towards next week we will continue some of our work on the French Revolution and do a small in class project that brings together some of the information we have covered this week. We should be moving towards the Industrial Revolution towards the end of next week. Students may have a Quiz on the French Revolution + Enlightenment towards the end of next week as well, if time allows.
Storming of the Bastille
One of three political cartoons we have looked at in class. Showing the effects of the storming of the Bastille as a major event in the revolution and the subsequent effects on the clergy and first estate.
The Role of Women in the Revolution
Clearly, women didn't just sit by and watch as noted by this artist. The clearly upper class, Parisian, woman is being marched forcefully by a group of angry lower class women.
The Zenith of French Glory
Famous cartoon done by a British artist at the time shows the brutality and negative aspects of the revolution from someone who was watching from afar.