What is network topology
Examples of topology
- Star Topology
- Ring Topology
- Bus Topology
- Tree Topology
- Mesh Topology
- Hybrid Topology
advantages of star
Advantages of a Star Topology
- Easy to install and wire.
- No disruptions to the network then connecting or removing devices.
- Easy to detect faults and to remove parts.
disadvantages of star
Disadvantages of a Star Topology
- Requires more cable length than a linear topology.
- If the hub or concentrator fails, nodes attached are disabled.
- More expensive than linear bus topologies because of the cost of the concentrators.
The protocols used with star configurations are usually Ethernet or LocalTalk. Token Ring uses a similar topology, called the star-wired ring.
network topologies explanation