Horizons Alpha Group
Mr. Daniel and Ms. Stephens
Meet Your Teachers!
"Horizons Smart, Horizons Strong"
WEEK 6: July 27-31
Week 6 STEM Challenge
Before you begin, watch this VIDEO of Miss Stephens and Mr. Daniel creating their lava lamp.
1. Grab your bag and get your materials out. You will need to ask your parents for 1 cup of vegetable oil, 1/2 cup of water, and 1 clear plastic or glass cup.
2. Pour 1 cup (or a little more) of vegetable oil in your plastic cup.
3. Pour 1/2 cup of water in your cup.
4. Put about 15-20 drops of food coloring.
5. Wait a few minutes for them to get in place.
6. SLOWLY drop in 1 alka seltzer tablet and watch it dissolve.
7. Watch the magic happen!!!!!
8. You can put the second tablet in to see it happen again!
Make sure to record your lava lamp on Flipgrid.
Week 6 ELA
You will be finishing the book Restart this week. We hope you have enjoyed it as much as we did! Miss Stephens can't lie... her eyes were definitely "sweating" in the last few chapters of the book. It was THAT good.
Please read chapters 23-30 and complete the FINAL comprehension check in this Google Form.
Week 5: July 20-24
Week 5 STEM Challenge
1. Grab your STEM bag and pull out your directions and coins. You will also need to ask your parents for a butter knife (not the super sharp ones you used to cut steak or chicken!)
2. Watch this VIDEO of how to complete the Coin Tower Challenge.
3. Complete the challenge on your own. The goal is to knock one coin out from the bottom of the stack. You may have to practice a few times before you get the hang of it! Then, see how many coins you can knock out.
4. Record yourself on Flipgrid completing the Coin Tower Challenge!
Week 5 ELA
We're almost done with the book Restart and it's about to get REALLY good! This week you will be reading chapters 16-22. There are a few additional chapters to read this week just so we can finish it next week! When you finish the chapters, please complete this FORM for a comprehension check.
If you haven't checked out Mrs. Gribble's website - click HERE!