The Battlefield Bobcast
Your Weekly Update From the Land of #BOBCATPRIDE
For more information on athletics events, please visit www.bobcatspride.org
For more information on our Specialty Program, CASIIT, please visit https://www.smore.com/d3uje-battlefield-casiit
In order to keep up with the latest and greatest news in counseling, please see this School Counseling Center information page: https://www.smore.com/p40zc
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
Fellow Bobcat Family,
Remember is you or any students you may know are in need of any support, please remember that you can refer to the link below for any assistance during this time.
CLASS OF 2020
“To our students and community.... BFHS Counseling grieves with you. We see you. We care. We are here for you.”
School Counselors Elle Nguyen and Terry Lark created a Bobcat Break wellness site for the Battlefield community. Students and faculty can access this page to learn ways to cope with stress and to recharge their spirit.
When asked about their process, Elle Nguyen said, "Throughout the shutdown, we've been concerned about connecting to students and our community. Knowing that some of our students and staff are struggling, knowing they may not be reaching out, we wanted to create a resource to address any mood- loneliness, sadness, boredom, stress- and offer a way for them to cope. Terry Lark added, "I also think it fills a gap for students by providing access to coping strategies in the new age. Technology is at the tip of our fingertips, so giving students a quick way to access resources on a platform that we can continually modify to fit their needs is something Due to this extraordinary time, we can't always realistically 'be there' to intervene, but providing options for students to cope & heal is the next best thing!"
The 2020 yearbook has been published! Yearbooks are being sold online ONLY until June 10th or until they SELL OUT (Additional books cannot be ordered once the BHS Yearbook sells out).
More information on how we can get the yearbook into everyone’s hand will be forthcoming.
Purchase at Balfour.com. Email Ms. O’Connor with any yearbook related questions.
STUDENT COUNCIL ASSOCIATION
CANVAS INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
Beginning with the 2020-21 school year, Prince William County Public School will be employing the Canvas LMS (learning management system) at all levels, across all schools.
Students already have accounts set up, with their current classes loaded. Some teachers are utilizing Canvas during the Home Learning phase of this school year. Many for the first time, gaining valuable hands-on experience during this unique time in education. Please keep that in mind as you go about learning your observer role. If a teacher is currently using Canvas, students and observers will see that class upon login to Canvas
Parent/Guardians of PWCS students can create an account with Canvas. Their accounts are known as Observer accounts, and are directly tied to one or more student accounts, depending on the number of children they have enrolled in PWCS.
Parent/Guardians must have a pairing code in order to complete the creation of their Observer account. This can be provided by their student(s) (one per child), or by their children’s teachers (1 per teacher). It is recommended that parent/guardians have their child(ren) generate the pairing codes as this is the most efficient way to access all classes that their children are enrolled in, and will ensure that their account remains current in the case of student movement between teachers/classes. Instructions are linked in the resources below.
One the Observer account has been created and paired; parent/guardians can use their computer to login to Canvas (https://pwcs.instructure.com), or they can use the Canvas Parent or Canvas Student app for their mobile devices (iOS and Android).
The following resources are provided to assist parent/guardians with creating their observer accounts, understanding what Canvas is and looks like, and how to best use their access to support their children’s education.
- Video (4:40) – Canvas LMS for Parents
- Archived Live Stream (28:45) - Parent Pointers: Understanding Your Child’s Canvas Account
- Archived Live stream (30:55) - Parent Pointers: Monitoring Your Child’s Learning with an Observer Account
- Canvas Guide – Canvas Observer Guide
- Canvas Guide – Canvas Student Guide
- Canvas Student Guide Page - How do I generate a pairing code for an observer as a student?
Additionally, all PWCS Canvas users are encouraged to utilize the phone and live chat support provided by Canvas.
- Canvas phone support: 1.855.208.5270
- Canvas live chat support
The March Madness Author Tournament has reached the Championship Bracket!! We welcome EVERYONE to join in on voting for your favorite, or most deserving, author. Will it be John Green or Stephen King?! The winner will be announced next Bobcast. Thanks for participating!! https://bit.ly/bhsfinalround
During this time of uncertainty, we find it very important to start getting the ball rolling on Mini-THON 2021. Up first will be the applications and interviews for Overall Chair(s) and Committee Leads. New for this year - the whole process will be done virtually!
We are looking to hire students who show good leadership skills, who are dedicated to the cause, who have great ideas to implement, who work well with others and who can give Mini-THON the appropriate attention it needs.
At this time we are hiring for the following positions.
- Overall Chair(s)
- Fundraising Chair(s)
- Hospitality Chair(s)
- Public Relations Chair(s)
- Dancer Relations Chair(s)
- Media Productions Chair(s)
- Event Coordination Chair(s)
- Nourishment Chair(s)
We hope that you have interest in applying for a lead position. All applications are due Tuesday June 30th. Click here to download the application.
Email both Ms. Starkey and Mrs. Maula your completed application, and we will email you a link to sign up for an interview slot; which are planned for early July.
Please email me if you have any questions.
For The Kids,
Bobcat Mini-THON Co-Sponsors #FTK
All Rising Freshman!
What is required for my son/daughter to complete in order for them to try out for an athletics team at Battlefield High School?
- Student-athletes must complete a sports physical examination - You must use the VHSL physical form, which can be obtained in the Files and Links tab on the Homepage at www.bobcatspride.org or on VHSL.org website. Sport physicals must be done after May 1st each year while in high school if continuing to participate in an athletics team.
- Concussion Training - All new 9th grade students and transfers into PWCS must attend a face-to-face training with parent/guardian at any PWCS high school. Middle school concussion training's do not count for high school sports. After attending the first initial face to face concussions training at a PWCS school, athletes may then do subsequent yearly online concussion training that is posted on www.bobcatspride.org or pwcs.org. *Tentatively there is a concussion training scheduled for 7.27 at 7:00 p.m. at Battlefield High School that will be held in the auditorium. *(Subject to COVID guidelines put out by the PWCS county).