By: Sanjay Rajasekhar, 5/08/15, Period 6
Spain Physical Map
Spain Political Map
Weather in Spain
Bull Fighting in Spain
Bull fighting is a tradition that can trace back to 711 A.D. The first bull fight took place in celebration for crowning King Alfonso VIII. The way that it works is first the bull is let into the ring, Then the top bullfighter called the Matador, watches his chief assistant wave a majenta cape in front of the bull to make it charge.
Flamenco is the musical tradition in Spain's south mainly. Especially, in Andalusia. There you can find dancing and guitar playing all around. The tradition is around 200 years old. Flamenco can have any theme, from stories, to politics, to love. Flamenco is in three forms, Cante, the song, Baile, the dance, and Guitarra, guitar playing. Flamenco dance has complex patterns with sophisticated grace and posture.
La Tomatina Festival
La Tomatina is a food fight festival held on the last Wednesday of August each year in the town of Bunol near to Valencia in Spain. This festival is called the "World's Biggest Food Fight" where more than one hundred metric tons of over-ripe tomatoes are thrown in the streets. In preperation for the dirty mess people use huge plastic covers on their storefronts in order to protect them from the carnage.
Bull Fighting in Spain
La Tomatina Festival
Culture in Spain
Euros are the currency that is being used in Spain. Spain is one of the 19 countries that use euros. One euro is approximately $1.12. The price of euros in USD is dropping since 2014.
Mariano Rajoy is the prime minister, the current leader of Spain. Mariano Rajoy was born on March 27, 1955 and is now 60 years old. He was prime minister since 2011, and the next general election for prime minister in on Sunday, December 20, 2015.
Spain's greatest trade is with France, Germany, Italy, and Great Britain. The leading exports in Spain are machinery, fruit, motor vehicles, wine, and other food products. Another major export for Spain is medical instruments.
- olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small red chillies, seeded & finely sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp smoked (or plain) paprika
- 1 medium-large eggplant, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 2 zucchini, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 2 each red & green capsicums, cored, seeded & cut into 2 cm cubes
- ½-1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 3 large bay leaves
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley
- 6 large eggs
- Heat ½ cup oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot and gently sauté the onions, garlic and chillies until tender, regularly stirring.
- Add the paprika and stir until toasted.
- Then add the eggplant, zucchini and capsicums. Stir well and cook for 5 mins until well coated, adding a little more oil if too dry.
- Add ½ cup stock with the tomatoes, quite a bit of seasonings and the bay leaves. Mix well, turn down the heat and gently cook for about 20 mins until the vegies are tender, stirring now and again and adding more stock as needed.
- Remove the pot from the heat, take out the bay leaves and stir through the parsley.
- At the same time, fry the eggs in another pan with a thin layer of hot oil.
- To serve, mound the stew in individual flat soup bowls and top with a fried egg.
Transportation and Lodging
Silken Puerta America
"Bull Fighting in Spain." Spain-Info.com. Spain-Info.com, 2003. Web. 3 May 2015. <http://www.spain-info.com/Culture/bullfighting.htm>.
"Culture in Spain:Flamenco." Spain-Info.com. Spain-Info, 2003. Web. 30 Apr. 2015. <http://www.spain-info.com/Culture/flamenco.htm>.
Expatica. "Top 10 Spanish Foods - with Recipes." Expatica. Expatica Communications BV, 2015. Web. 3 May 2015. <http://www.expatica.com/es/insider-views/Top-10-Spanish-foods-with-recipes_106723.html>.
"Flights to Madrid." Google. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 May 2015. <https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=MDW,ORD;t=MAD;d=2015-05-20;r=2015-05-24;sel=ORDWAW0LO4-WAWMAD2LO433;q=chicago+to+madrid>.
Jenison, David, and Demand Media. "5 Major Mountains in Spain." Getawaytips. Demand Media, n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2015. <http://getawaytips.azcentral.com/5-major-mountains-spain-3212.html>.
LaTomatinaTours. "La Tomatina 2015." LaTomatinaTours. LaTomatinaTours, n.d. Web. 3 May 2015. <http://www.latomatinatours.com/>.
Spain's Culture. Timelapse. Youtube. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 May 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVCjhBiLSd8>.
Thyberg, David. "Holidays, Festivals, Celebrations & Traditions in Spain." Traveltips.USAToday. USAToday, 2014. Web. 28 Apr. 2015. <http://traveltips.usatoday.com/holidays-festivals-celebrations-traditions-spain-3445.html>.
TripAdvisor. "Silken Puerta America - Madrid." TripAdvisor. N.p., 2015. Web. 4 May 2015. <http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187514-d593190-Reviews-s1-Silken_Puerta_America-Madrid.html>.
Weather Online. "Spain." Weather Online. Weather Online Ltd., 2015. Web. 30 Apr. 2015. <http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/climate/Spain.htm>.