A weekly update from campus...
January 29, 2016
Mrs. Miller has been visiting with classes about self-esteem this week. In one article I read on Tuesday about self-esteem in children, they described it as being like a healthy armor for children in the challenges of the world. Think about that a minute....
We, as a society, put such high demands, verbal and non-verbal, on our children. We expect them to perform at a certain level, behave at a certain level, and interact at a certain level. And those things are not bad, in and of themselves. The question is, how do we balance such high demands while making sure that we are building the self-esteem of our children?
As a faculty, Mrs. Miller shared with us a powerful quote. It is by Peggy O'Mara and it says, "The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice." SHAZAM! I don't know about you, but I will admit there were times that I later cringed at myself about how I had spoken to Isaac and Karlie. And not necessarily about something that involved them, but about my opinions on topics. My momma once told me (who am I kidding...she said it WAY MORE than once) to be careful about the words that I speak because they reflect who you are.
If I think about my mom's advice and I couple it with Mrs. Miller's quote, I am paralyzed in my tracks. If the students take the way I talk to them and that becomes their inner voice, I want them to know that they KNOW...1) Mrs. Abney cares deeply for me, 2) Mrs. Abney thinks I have the power to be successful, 3) My teachers care about me, 4) My teachers are invested in me and my learning, 5) I have the capability to apply myself to the fullest each day, and on and on.
I am going to challenge our faculty to think deeply about this. And, I'm curious. From a parent's perspective, what would you want your child's inner voice to say based upon how you have talked to them?
Here's to building self-esteem in our students that is unstoppable!
Have a great weekend,
Norris Super Stars....
Sumo Super Stars
100th Day of School
Norris Dismissal Policy
Rainy Day Dismissal Policy: Teachers will check email until 2:30 for dismissal changes on rainy days ONLY.
Thank you for your help!
Classroom Valentine Parties RSVP
Please follow the link at the end of this section to submit the RSVP form if you are planning to attend the Classroom Valentine Parties at Norris on Friday, February 12th at 1:45 pm.
- The DEADLINE to RSVP for the Class Valentine Parties is WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 10th at 3:00 pm. If you miss the deadline and still wish to attend the parties, you will be asked to sign in at the front office. This process is more time consuming and there will be a long line. Photo ID required!
- Please fill out the form only AFTER your ID (Driver's License) has been scanned in the front office. Feel free to come into the office to scan your license before the deadline to submit the form. Each visitor planning to attend needs to submit a form.
*Important Note: Only names that are given to the PTA Room Parent Coordinator by the class Room Parents in advance (by Wednesday February 10th) will be given volunteer badges and allowed back into the classrooms at 1:30. These parents will need to have completed a background check. Thank you for your understanding!
- Huge thanks to Mrs. Abney and Mrs. Snyder for participating in the Neon Run incentive for the kids!
- Spirit Night! Tuesday February 2nd at Chick-Fil-A. Grab dinner or just dessert, but mention you are from Norris! Location: 8700 TX-121, McKinney, TX 75070
- Don't forget to turn in your Kroger receipts showing you support Norris Elementary PTA into the Blue box at the front office. Find the details on our website: www.norrispta.org
- Mark your calendar! Family Fitness Night will be Thursday, March 3rd from 6-7:30pm. Details coming soon!
- We need your help!! The teachers and staff have been working extra hard, both on and off the field! Lets provide them a "Soup-er" lunch to show our appreciation! We need donations of food items to help with this luncheon on February 5th. Find the details of the lunch and the volunteer sign up by clicking the link below.
February 1-5 National Counselors Week
February 2 Mrs. Berridge and Mrs. Nguyen's classes go to Fire Safety Town @ 9:30 am
February 2 5th Grade Tour of Maus or Roach Middle School @ 9:30 am
February 2 Chick-fil-A Spirit Night Hwy 121, McKinney
February 3 100th Day of School!!!
February 3 Mrs. Hogan and Ms. Kyser's classes go to Fire Safety Town @ 9:30 am
February 3 5th Grade Parent Information Meeting at Roach Middle School @6:00 pm
February 4 5th Grade Parent Information Meeting at Maus Middle School @ 6:00 pm
February 10 RSVP for Class Valentine Parties due by 3:00 pm
February 12 Classroom Valentine Parties @ 1:45 pm
February 15 No School for Students
February 18 Spring Picture Day
February 18 Media Madness Program @ 6:30 pm
Student Council Val-O-Grams