"Growing a new future" By: Becca Posey 3rd Hour
- Botanists are scientists who study plant life and its impact on global, social, economic and ecological issues.
- Some botanists research ways of using plants as clean fuel to replace oil.
- Some responsibilities of a botanist are to collect and identify samples of plants, monitor the evolution of plant species and search for new plant species.
- Botanist study plant characteristics and genetics in a laboratory using specialist tools such as electron microscopes and radioisotopes.
- Botanists can work in laboratories or outdoors doing field work.
- Undertaking field work means that botanist may travel all over the world.
- Botanist can make $41,890 to $112,400 a year.
- They will usually work about forty hours a week if they undertake research in a laboratory or teach at university.
- At least a Masters Degree in Plant Science is required to be a botanist.
It can be difficult to get a long-term position as most botanists are employed on short fixed contracts.
- Botanists will not get bored of their work environment because they have the option to work in laboratories, outdoors, botanical gardens, parks, forests, nature reserves, etc.
- Botanists can make up to $112,400 a year.
- They have option to travel the world for work, which could be really exciting and fun.
- Botanist will usually work regular office hours (40 hours a week) if doing research in a laboratory or teach at university.
- Working hours may be unpredictable if working in the field, this could be really inconvenient.
- You need allot of education for this job, at least a Masters Degree in Plant Science. College is expensive and very hard, so the more education you need the more expensive, and hard it is.
- If they carry out field work or environmental surveys,botanist need to be physically fit and be prepared to work in tough conditions.
- Days of work will vary according to the season and the life cycle of the plant(s) botanists are studying, so botanist might not work for weeks because of bad weather and that is really inconvenient.
- Plant biology
- Plant science
- Biological sciences
- Environmental science
University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Since I live in Wisconsin, tuition is cheaper.
- It has a plant breeding program and plant genetics program, which is great if you want to learn more about plant genetics.
- It's a private school, which is nicer.
- Since it is such a nice private school, it is really expensive.
- It is in Wisconsin, it's very cold. I don't like that at all.
- It's a really hard school to get into, because it's so nice. So I have fewer chances of getting in.
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
- It's closest to home, so I can see my parents more often.
- Tuition is cheaper because it's in state.
- It offers classes on plant science, which helps me get a degree in botany.
- They don't offer many programs for plant study, which is very good when you want to get a degree in botany.
- It's in Wisconsin, so it is very cold. I really don't like cold weather.
- Even though it's the closest out of the three, it's still 3 hours away. Which is really inconvenient when I want to visit home.
City college of San Francisco
- It provides Bachelor's, Master's, First professional, Doctorate, Other advanced degrees in plant biology, so I can have options of how long I want to go there.
- It is in a San Francisco, and that is really appealing to me.
- It in a warm state, I like that because I don't like the cold, snowy weather.
- Tuition is more expensive because it is out of state.
- The city is not the safest, because it is so big.
- Not allot of people get in every year, so I have fewer chances of going there.
Sources for Botany research“American Society of Plant Biology.” aspb. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016. <http://my.aspb.org/>.
“Botanical Society of America.” botany. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016. <http://www.botany.org/>.
“Botanist.” My job search. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016. <http://myjobsearch.com/careers/botanist.html>.
“Botany.” myjobsearch. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://myjobsearch.com/careers/botanist.html>.
“botany cover page.” waldorftoday. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://www.waldorftoday.com/gallery/Main+Lesson+Book+Pages/GRADES+1-5/grade-05-botany-cover-page.jpg.html>.
“Botany plants.” telegraph. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/plants/10911055/No-more-Latin-Botany-rebooted-for-the-21st-century.html>.
“City College of San Francisco.” ccsf.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016. <http://www.ccsf.edu/>.
“Panoramio.” panoramio. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://www.panoramio.com/m/photo/31703334>.
“The Salary of a Botanist.” work.chron. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://work.chron.com/salary-botanist-1388.html>.
“U-W madison.” provost. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://provost.wisc.edu/dual-career.htm>.
“U-W Madison.” wisc.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016. <http://www.wisc.edu/>.
“U-W Platteville.” uwplatt.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016. <http://www.uwplatt.edu/>.