Miss Branchick's Newsletter
February 1-5, 2016
Scholastic Book Orders
Orders can be submitted any time you or I place an order because I have free shipping this year =)
I placed a HUGE order in January thanks to a DCEF grant. Scholastic sent us a class set of coupons for a FREE $5 book pick when you spent $10 or more in February.
I don't want these to go to waste, so if you place an order- let me know, and I will have your child pick one out here at school! You can still place your order online or via check sent into school.
New book order forms will be going home this week.
New Daily Schedule
7:25-7:50 am Morning Routine/Breakfast
7:50-8:30 am Writing
8:30-8:35 am Snack/Restroom Break
8:38-9:23 am Specials
9:25-9:30 am Restroom Break
9:30-10:30 am Math
- 9:30-11:10 Extended Math on M/W/F
10:30-11:10 am Social Sciences (only on T/Th)
11:15-11:35 am Lunch
11:35-11:55 am Recess
12:00-12:40 pm RTI/Reading Stations
12:45-2:15 pm 90-minute reading block
2:15-2:25 pm Afternoon Routine/Dismissal
This week in room 506
Miss Branchick's Math Class-
Unit 14- Metric Measurement
Monday- Vocabulary and Lesson 15-1 Using CM and DM
Tuesday- Lesson 15-2 Using M and KM
Wednesday- Lesson 15-3 Units of Capacity
Thursday- Lesson 15-4 Units of Mass
Friday- Real World Problems and Review
Monday- Review and Assess
Tuesday- Math Acuity Test
3.M.2- I can choose/use units/tools to estimate/measure length, weight, and temperature.
3.M.1- I can estimate/measure for mass, volume; solve real-world problems with mass/volume.
Chapter 4- U.S. Government
Tuesday Feb 2- U.S. Government Intro "Why do we have government?"
Thursday Feb 4- "Why do we have government?" Activity
Tuesday Feb 9- Our Democracy
Thursday Feb 11- Branches of Government
Tuesday Feb 16- Levels of Government
Thursday Feb 18- Project Time
Tuesday Feb 23- Review/Project Presentations
Thursday Feb 25- Assessment
3.2.1- Discuss reasons for government and identify the goods and services they provide.
3.2.2- Know the significance of democratic principles and ideals.
3.2.3- Explain the duties of local and state government officials who make, implement and enforce laws
3.2.4- Explain that the U.S. has three levels of government, each with special duties and responsibilities.
We will be wrapping up our Persuasive Essays by the end of this week. Essays are due Friday, February 5th.
3.W.1- I can write routinely over a variety of time frames.
3.W.2.1- I can write neatly in print or cursive.
3.W.3.1- I can write persuasive compositions that:
-state the opinion in an intro statement/paragraph
-support the opinion with reasons in an organized way
-connect opinion and reasons using words/phrases
provide a concluding statement/paragraph
Unit 4 Week 1
Strategy: Ask and Answer Questions
Skill: Point of View
Vocabulary Strategy: Root Words
Phonics: Variant Vowels- /u/ (oo, ew, u_e, ue, u, ui, ou and /u/ oo, ou
1. aroma- An aroma is a pleasant or agreeable smell or fragrance.
2. expect- To expect means to think or suppose something.
3. flavorful- When something is flavorful, it is tasty and full of flavor.
4. graceful- Something that is graceful is beautiful or pleasing in design, movement, or style
5. healthful- Healthful things are wholesome and good for your health.
6. interrupted- When something is interrupted, it is stopped for a time or broken off.
7. luscious- Something that is luscious smells or tastes delicious.
8. variety- A variety is a number of different things.
After School Tutoring
I am on this list and have availability to tutor. I am currently only tutoring in math (because I love math and frankly I would teach this all day if I could). I can also recommend someone who would best fit with your child from the list.
- Tumblebooks (username northelementary / password books)
- Symbaloo (username email@example.com / password room506) - this website has links to kid approved websites we use at school)
- IXL - a great website for students to practice skills from any subject!
Tumblebooks is registered for grades K-4 so North and South share.