Food for Life
I can't believe I am taking an online class!!
- Most important- print your schedule and keep it close by!!! Make sure you make note of the Thursday deadlines!!
- Always work in Firefox Mozilla. This is GAVS preferred browser and many of the lessons require this browser for proper function. It is a free download!!
- Work ahead if you want to have some free time!!!
- Make sure to read the instructions on every assignment so you can earn the highest score possible!!
- Attend the Monday live session at 7:00 pm for an overview of the material. You can also listen to the recording!!
A Taste of the course!!
1) What is the "danger zone" know as in the food arena?
a) Theme to the Top Gun movie
b) High fat content food item
c) Food item that wavers in an unsafe temperature zone
2) T/F - A food allergy and a food intolerance are the same thing.
3) A pregnant female needs an additional _____ calories per day for her baby.
4) T/F- A vegan is the most strict form of vegetarianism.
5) T/F- A person seeking a career as a nutritionist is just required to earn a 4 year degree in that subject area with no additional training.
Hopefully you faired well on this quiz. But, not to worry if you did not. Many of the topics discussed in the course will be new to you or unfamiliar. This will be a great opportunity for you to learn more about the different aspects of nutrition and how you can apply them to your own life.
Recipe- What is in season?
- 2 Tbsp. walnuts
- 2 peaches, halved, pits removed
- 4-6 slices of thinly-shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. honey
- Prepare grill or heat a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Toast walnuts in a dry skillet for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant.
- Place peaches, cut side down on grill. Grill 2-4 minutes. Flip peaches over, so the skin side is facing down. Place shaved Parmesan cheese on top of peaches. Grill another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle toasted walnuts over peaches. Drizzle with honey.
Serve grilled peaches immediately.
Meet your teacher!!!
My name is Ms. Bagwell and I will be your online instructor this semester. I am looking forward to assisting you in making this a positive and successful experience for you. If this is your first online class, you need not worry. I am here to help you in any way that I can. I am confident that you will find this to be a rewarding learning opportunity.
I am a Georgia girl!! Born and raised here. I have lived within Georgia all my life. I grew up I Cumming and when to college at the University of GA. After graduating there, I earned my Masters in Health Science from the University of Alabama. I taught for Gwinnett County Schools for 10 years. I have been teaching online for 5 years and really enjoy it.
I have 2 children, a daughter who is 9 and a son who is 7. They keep me busy. I enjoy all types of activities. I love traveling. I have been to Europe and all around the United States. I also love cooking and gardening. I exercise often and attend boot camp at my YMCA several times a week. Unfortunately, I am not a good dancer so I tend to stick to running, biking and those types of activities. I plan to participate in another triathlon this year.
Communication is the key to success with any online learning class. Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 678-662-7799 if you have any questions or concerns. I check my emails twice a day and will respond within 24 hours. My office hours are listed on the course home page.
During this course you will learn plenty of important and useful information about your health. I am excited to help you on your way to a healthier, happier you!
Contact your teacher