Parent Leadership Academy News
February 11, 2019
What a Great Group that attended Building a College Going Culture at Home! Thank you Abby!
Building a College Going Culture at Home
This Week's Course: Tuesday!
Strengthening Academic Success Outside of the Classroom
Life happens and sometimes we need a reminder on how to keep things balanced and on track. This course will provide participants with resources and strategies to support the strengthening of student academic skills outside of the classroom setting and help parents reinforce these strategies as well as apply them in their own lives.
Date: Tuesday, February 12th
Time: 6-7:30 p.m.
Location: SAISD Pickett Academy Cafeteria (1931 E. Houston St.)
Valentine's Day is Thursday!
Valentine's Day Conversation Starters
Here are some questions to ask your kids at the dinner table or in the car as Valentine's Day this week!
- I would define love as...
- My family is special because...
- My favorite Valentine's tradition is....
- I am happy when my family...
- My favorite love story from a book is....
- 3 ways I can show others I love them are...
- What is the kindest thing someone has done for you?
- How do you know someone loves you?
- What do you think it means to be someone's Valentine?
- How many different kids of love do you think there are?
- Do you know anyone who may not get a Valentine this year and how we can make them feel special?
- What do you think is better: to love someone or be loved by someone?
- What is your favorite Valentine's day candy?
Covey's 7 Habits of Successful Families
Reminder: Participation in the 7 Habits of Successful Families is non-negotiable, meaning you must attend this course in person in order to graduate. Why? We consider this course a strong foundational course to develop leadership skills and successful elements for your family that are critical.
It is being offered for the PLA on Thursday, March 7th, 9-3 at ESC-20. If you think you will not be able to attend this session, it is also being offered Wednesday, April 3rd at ESC-20. The April session is open to any family/parent in Region 20 so it will be a mixed group.
You can attend EITHER session--they are the same! This will give you a choice as to what the best date is for you to attend.
A one hour lunch break will be given (lunch not provided). You are welcome to purchase lunch at the ESC-20 cafe or go off-site for lunch.
If you have any questions about this, please let Kimberly know.
Reminder: Elective Courses
- Please remember to register for your elective classes! If you need a refresher, please download the steps to register below.
- The course stays open the day of the training so if you forget to register, please show up and you can register on site at the front registration desk.
- If your name does not appear on the sign in sheet, it is likely you registered after our registration specialists printed the sign in sheets. If this is the case, please make sure you sign in at the bottom. If you are unsure if you registered or not, you can always stop by the front registration desk and have them check for you.
If you are participating in elective courses via webinar:
- Make sure you type your name in the chat box when the webinar manager does roll call. At some point they will ask you to type your name that you are participating. When they receive your name they will check your name off the sign in sheet to give you credit for your attendance.
Don't forget you can print off certificates 1-2 days after the training.
Download the steps to access your certificate below.
Have questions about the elective courses? Email Kimberly so she can help!
Just a reminder that you need to at least choose 2 elective courses to complete the Parent Leadership Academy in order to graduate.
All elective courses are offered at Region 20. If you are unable to attend in person, the elective courses are also available via webinar. The webinar is live (same time as face to face training).
Note: If the training is offered via webinar, it will have a webinar Session ID# and you must register with this ID# to receive the webinar link.
Upcoming Electives Remaining in February!
Wednesday, February 13, 9:30 a.m.—2:30 p.m. (Lunch Provided)
Pathways to Adulthood
*Register at www.txp2p.org
This one-day training will help you prepare for your child with a disability’s life after high school.
Parents will learn how to plan NOW for quality of life in the areas of work, at home, medical services, friendship, and supports, as well as have the opportunity to develop short-term and long-term goals, and the steps to carry them out.
Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 9:00 a.m.—12:00 p.m.
ADHD (9:00 a.m.—10:15 a.m.)
This training will provide an overview of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and how parents can obtain additional assistance for their child in the public school setting. The discussion will also include a definition of the types of ADHD, why diagnosis is important, possible causes, and suggestions for helping the child learn new and appropriate behaviors.
Children’s Mental Health Services Overview (10:30 a.m.—12:00 p.m.)
This training introduces mental health services for children, both in the school and community settings. We will identify some of the common categories of mental health disorders and discuss the requirements set forth by IDEA to help students identified as having mental health disorders. We will look at some of the various services available, both through the school to help the child academically, and within the community to help the family receive the comprehensive help and support they need.
**Interpreter provided by request. Call 210-370-5430 by 12:00 p.m. on Friday, February 15th. **
Session ID: 52502
Webinar ID: 53185
Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 9:00 a.m.—2:30 p.m. (1 Hour Lunch Break Provided)
This training provides parents an overview of specific instructional and visual strategies that directly impact their child’s academic and behavioral success. With a clearer understanding of the characteristics of autism, parents will explore new possibilities to support their child with autism. Parents will have the opportunity to develop materials for implementation with their child.
**Interpreter provided by request. Call 210-370-5430 by 12:00 p.m. on Monday, February 18th. **
Session ID: 53102
Webinar ID: 53187
Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 9:00 a.m.—12:00 p.m.
Bullying: Tips for Parents
Never before in history have parents had to face so many challenges when raising their children. Bullying is a serious issue and becoming more prevalent in schools today. Learn the characteristics of someone being bullied and how to recognize signs of students who bully. This training will provide participants with early intervention techniques to help prevent bullying, which one day may save your child.
**Interpreter provided by request. Call 210-370-5430 by 12:00 p.m. on Monday, February 25th. **
Session ID: 53103
Webinar ID: 53188
Thursday, February 28, 2019, 9:00 a.m.—12:00 p.m.
Parent Information over RtI & Section 504
In order for parents to have the knowledge, skills and confidence to understand the educational setting and process of Response to Intervention (RtI) and Section 504, parents must have the information to empower them. This training will provide parents and community members with information about the RtI and Section 504 programs. Please join us to learn how both of these services can help qualifying students receive support to help them reach success in their areas of need.
**Interpreter provided by request. Call 210-370-5430 by 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 26th. **
Session ID: 53104
Webinar ID: 53189
It's Not Too Late to Register for the TAPPestry Conference on Saturday!
Partners Resource Network is also offering stipends--if interested in a stipend, please reach out to Alejandra Barber at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-832-8945.
1. Cell Phone Etiquette:
- Keep phone on vibrate or silent; and
- Step out of session to take calls.
2. Be respectful when others are speaking.
3. Allow presenters to share their expertise.
4. Be mindful of the time we have together.