In order to be a senator you have to be:
- At least 30 years old
- Citizens of the United States for 9 years before election
- Legal resident of the state they represent.
Terms of Office
Elections for the Senate are held in November of even numbered years and they begin their terms the following January on the 3rd. The terms for Senators is 6 years and only one-third of them can run for reelection every 2 years. If a senator were to die or resign before the end of their term, then the state legislature can give the governer the power to appoint a person to fill the vacancy until the next election or the governer could call for a special election to fill the empty seat.
Salary and Benefits
The salary of the Senate is $174,00 a year and they have tons of benefits like:
- Postage for official business
- A medical clinic
Memeber also recieve large allowances to pay for:
- Office staff/assistants
- Trips Home
When they retire, they are eligible for pensions of $41,000-55,000 a year for life.
- Senators are free from arrest for everything, except for treason, felony, and breach of peace.
- Members of Congress cannot sued for anything they say on the Senate/House floor.
- They may judge members' qualifications and decide whether to seat them. Each house may refuse to seat an elected member by a majority vote.