Gage 4-H News
Congratulations 2023 Seniors!
Congratulations to our 2023 Gage County 4-H Seniors!
Colton Bales - Tri County
Autumn Bartlett - Beatrice
Shelton Crawford - Beatrice
Kendra Caudill - Tri County
Dallas Donovan - Southern
Jaden Guernsey - Beatrice
Shaylee Keslar - Wilber Clatonia
Kate Kostal - Diller-Odell
Avery Kraus - Syracuse
Jeffrey Lohse - Home School
Hannah Parde - Beatrice
Trevor Parde - Freeman
Natalie Trauernicht - Southern
Kaden Van Winkle - Tri County
Parker Witulski - Beatrice
Cole Young - Freeman
We are so glad that 4-H has been a part of your journey and we applaud you for all of your outstanding achievements. We hope you have enjoyed and learned from your 4-H experiences and activities, many of which have been across and outside the state of Nebraska. We wish you the very best in college and/or your career!
2023 Fairbook Available
A digital version can be viewed here: https://simplebooklet.com/2023gagecounty4hffafairbook
Start your own business!
Gage County 4-H has partnered with Beatrice Community Hospital & Health Center and NGage to offer a one-day Babysitting Clinic to train the next generation of childcare providers!
May 31, 2023 | SCC Beatrice, Academic Excellence Center | 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Ages: 10 & Older
Cost: $50 per participant (includes lunch, curriculum materials, supplies and Babysitting Kit)
Participants will work through curriculum, learn about safety, basic childcare, child development, entertaining children, nutrition, and starting a babysitting business. Basic First Aid and CPR (not certification) will be taught.
Camper Sign up
Local 4-H Summer Camps
Camp Renegade (ages 8-10) and Camp Venture (ages 10-12) are overnight camps hosted at Camp Jefferson, 2.5 miles south of Fairbury. To attend, please pre-register by May 22. All registrations must be done online. Links for registration are linked below. Youth do not have to be a 4-H member to attend Camp Renegade or Venture.
Older youth (ages 14-18) have an opportunity to be a leader for the younger youth as a Camp Counselor. Camp counselor applications are due May 1 and Counselors are required to attend the Camp Counselor Training on Thursday, May 25 at the 4-H Building on the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.
Camp Renegade: June 12-13
Camp Venture: June 15-16
Camp Counselor - Camp Renegade and/or Venture
Registration by May 1
Required training: May 25th, Fairbury
Quilt Stitches Kids Summer Classes
NOTES TO 4-H MEMBERS
To sign-up for these projects, enroll in Gage County 4-H on 4HOnline (v2.4honline.com). Log-in as the 4-H member who is going to take the project then locate the "Events" tab on the left side of the screen, select the project name and fill out the required information. Must be enrolled in 4-H for the current year and enrollment fee paid. *Note: The Extension Office has to approve your enrollment before you can register - please don't wait until the last minute to enroll!
4-H Enrollment Due June 15th
Please make sure to include or update your child's t-shirt size! This is the sizing guide we use to order the Exmark t-shirts for county fair! It is not a required field so can often be missed.
Enrollment fee is $12 for each 4-H youth to be paid online or in the office. There is no fee for Clover Kids or adults. We will not be accepting enrollments until we have received payment.
Gage County 4-H Clover Kids
Clover Kids have special opportunities to participate during the Gage County Fair by exhibiting Clover Kids static exhibits. To be eligible to participate, Clover Kids need to enroll through our 4HOnline system at v2.4honline.com
Notes to Livestock & Horse Members
Livestock ID - Due June 15
County Fair Livestock Update
Now that the 2023 Fairbook is available, we want to draw your attention to some changes that have been made for 2023:
- Livestock can begin arriving on grounds starting Tuesday, July 25th at 7:30 pm. There will be no security or barn duty that evening so you may bring them at your own risk.
- After much discussion, we are discontinuing the choice award system. We will be moving towards banners, plaques, and medals for champion and reserve champion awards for both static and livestock.
- There will be no materials used to restrict the airflow of the open-air barns. Any materials used (I.e., pegboard, plywood, rubber) will be limited to 6 inches tall around the bottom of the pens.
- Broilers will be weighed for the Broiler show.
- Eggs for egg display will be checked in during poultry check in on Wednesday morning. Egg display will be judged at the beginning of the broiler show on Wednesday. Eggs will be cracked.
- Keep an eye out for a Poultry/Rabbit Skill-a-thon contest this summer. More details to come! ***Scheduled for July 20th
- Linden Tree will now be called Linden Tree Superhorse and will be based upon the top score in four set categories including: Halter (required), pick one class each from 3 categories (Performance, Pattern, Timed Events). You must use the same horse for all 4 of the events selected. Points will be awarded based on ribbon placings in the selected classes in each category. Junior, Intermediate, and Senior Divisions (Walk-trot not eligible) – must enter classes through ShoWorks by July 15th.
- High Point Exhibitor Award (previously called “Linden Tree”) will continue using the same rules as previous years: Showmanship is required, youth can select 2 other classes. Exhibitor may use more than one horse for this. Halter may not be used as a class. Points will be awarded based on ribbon placings in the selected classes. Junior, Intermediate, and Senior Divisions (Walk-Trot not eligible)– must enter classes through ShoWorks by July 15th.
- The age limit for walk-trot is being removed. If you enter for walk-trot, you can only do walk-trot classes.
- Hunter Under Saddle and Hunt Seat Equitation will no longer have age divisions. All ages will show in each class.
Companion Animal: Show moving to Sunday morning.
Meat Goat: The Best Dressed Goat class will be added back to the goat show.
Beef: Going back to a split beef show. Wednesday - Bucket Calf, Thursday - Stocker Feeder, Friday - Showmanship, Market Beef & Breeding Beef.
- The Bucket Calf project will now be required to submit a records sheet, complete an interview prior to the bucket calf show on Wednesday (sign-up for a time starting at 2:00 p.m.), and show their calf during the Bucket Calf show.
- Record Book and Project manual have been updated and are available at https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/gage/gage-county-4-h-council1/#tab8
- Bucket calf participants are eligible to show their calf during showmanship of the Beef Show.
- Registration papers will be required on hogs showing in purebred classes.
- Will be shown by breed (order): Berkshire, Chester White, Duroc, Hampshire, Hereford, Landrace, Poland China, Spotted, Tamworth, Yorkshire, All Other Breeds, Crossbred.
- Any breed with less than 3 animals exhibiting in their breed will show in the All Other Breed Class.
- Purebred breeding gilts will be shown by age.
- Crossbred breeding gilts will be shown by weight.
- Breeding Gilts are required to be born on or after December 1, 2022.
- Champion and Reserve Champion of each purebred and crossbred breed will come back for Champion and Reserve Champion Overall Breeding Gilt.
- Will be shown by weight in the following Divisions: Purebred, Crossbred Market Gilt, Crossbred Market Barrow.
- Purebred (barrows and gilts show together, classes divided by weight, not breed)
- Crossbred Market Gilts (classes divided by weight)
- Crossbred Market Barrows (classes divided by weight)
- Market hogs weighing less than 200 lbs are not eligible for Champion/Reserve Champion.
- Champion and Reserve Champion of each division (purebred, crossbred market gilt, crossbred market barrow) will come back for Grand Champion and Reserve Champion Overall Market Hog.
Championship Row Discontinued
In 2023, the Parade of Champions will be facilitated by Extension Staff where all livestock, Horse, and Rabbit/Poultry Champions will be announced and you can choose to bring your animal into the ring (or not). Thanks Riverview Jr. Stockmen for your past organization of this event.
State Fair Livestock Update
All 4-H/FFA BREEDING livestock, market livestock and FEEDER CALVES will now be required to submit a DNA sample/envelope to be eligible to exhibit at the Nebraska State Fair. DNA envelopes for the Nebraska State Fair are due on June 15 to the Extension Office.
DNA nominations will all be $7.00 per animal. With this update, animals will automatically be eligible for both breeding and market. Any DNA nomination submitted through Show Stock Manager will also be eligible for exhibition at the Aksarben Stock Show.
Breeding livestock (new): Registration papers must now show the exhibitor’s name or a co-owner who is an immediate member of the exhibitor’s family and is listed with the online nomination in show stock manager
State 4-H Horse Update
Announcement from the state horse program:
Beginning in 2023, participation in a District 4-H Horse Show will not be required to participate in the State 4-H Horse Show. This is also similar to the process used by other state livestock events (i.e., State Fair, AKSARBEN, etc.) and will allow more youth the opportunity to experience the State 4-H Horse Show. *The age eligibility update does not apply to the Fonner Park State Horse Show.
Being able to provide more opportunities for learning through workshops and clinics will allow youth to increase their skills and further develop with their project horse(s) in preparation for the State 4-H Horse Show. The State 4-H horse program is offering Come Learn with Carla Clinics. Clinic dates will be held:
- June 2nd - Central City, NE - Merrick County Fairgrounds
- June 3rd - Lincoln, NE - Lancaster Event Center
- June 4th - Albion, NE - Boone County Fairgrounds
Clinic Pricing (Non-4-H youth can enrolled in 4-H at your local county extension office)
- 4-H Enrolled Youth (8-18 years old) - $40
- Non-4-H youth (8-18 years old) - $80
- Adult (19+) - $80
Please note you must complete a separate registration for each participant. Deadline for all registrations will be May 5th
4-H (ages 8-18) and FFA (under age 19) exhibitors as of Jan. 1st of the current year who exhibit beef, goat, sheep, swine, rabbit & poultry are REQUIRED to complete YQCA training by June 15, to be eligible to participate at the Gage County Fair and Nebraska State Fair. (Clover Kids are not required to complete YQCA training).
Online YQCA training is available for $12.00 per youth. Please make a special note to your 4-H age (as of Jan. 1) when selecting a course to complete.
*If you have any problems with the online website (logging in, online testing, etc.), you have to contact the help desk on the website. We have no admin capabilities to help if you have issues.
**Make sure you complete both the pre and post-survey before YQCA will let you print off your YQCA certificate.