Principal Update BSE
Environments... a few thoughts from Mike Anderson (Learning to Choose Choosing to Learn, The Key to Student Motivation and Achievement, 2016)
- Purpose - Why did the students engage in this work?
- Process - What happened?
- Product - Finished and completed project results - Pictures and Samples
Instructional Areas: Offer choice where students spend time working, NOT listening. Don't panic, there is a time for whole-group instruction, but we can reduce our tendency to control the information and delivery.
Teacher Workspace: What message do you send the students and parents about your workspace? Many teachers have reduced their workspace to almost nothing to show the students that they are the focus of the environment. Really reflect on this and look at your team and their personal "desk" area.
The Purpose and Power of Choice: There are two key reminders about choices, first all students should have choices, but the should be used with purpose. Second, choice must be taught, and not simply given.
The Power of the Zone of Proximal Development and Engagement: We must remember Vygotsky's research in relationship to that sweet spot where students are joyfully challenged and highly engaged. Too little or too much will fail our students.
Choice is most powerful when used with purpose. It is, however a strategy and may not be the BEST one to use at all times. Choice is a means to an end and not and end in and of itself.
- Please be on time when dropping students off and picking up for indoor recess.
- The cafe staff is working hard to keep over 100 students safe at a time but they do not know details of IEPs or medical needs other than food allergies. If you feel they need to have information - communicate with them directly. (i.e. A child not able to travel the building unassisted.)
- Students are not allowed back to classrooms for any items including footballs.
- Students are to put bottles, lunch boxes, etc in lunch basket.
Thank you for doing a great job adjusting recess! Supervision is tight helping with behavior and schedule conflicts seem to have slowed now that we are in a routine. Thank you for being patient and making adjustments to ensure all students are playing and safe. Recess is so important for you and students.
Getting Started with Aimsweb Digitally (Reading only)
Tuesday, Oct. 4th, 3:45pm
It will be very helpful to know which assessment for which student for smooth practice.
- Have you scheduled or completed your "last year" and "beginning of year with DK?
- Have you scheduled your LONG eval week with your evaluator?
- OneDrive allows you to access the "evaluation 2016-207 folder with the two documents needed for the year.
- NO NEED TO SUBMIT CLO2016-2017 FORM TO SFS, until the SFS data from last year is "finalized." You will receive a notice from SFS when this happens.
- EVALUATION SEASON BEGINS OCTOBER 3RD.
- Fatima and I intend to complete, at minimum, one short and one long per teacher. You may have more shorts or longs but no need to panic. More evidence of your amazing teaching and learning! It is possible and highly likely that both evaluators will be in all rooms, tis the season.
When Subs Don't Get Assigned - PLAN!
Reminder from Dr. Loane: Please always put a reminder to subs in your plans that devices are not to be earned or used for play/recess in order to keep our HSE 21 practices sound and our promise to parents.
Drone Policy in HSE
Digital Resource - Discovery Education
Discovery Education (formerly United Streaming) is now live! Students access through Clever.
It is quite the sophisticated product. Stay tuned for Professional Development.
In the meantime, click here to enjoy the Discovery Education YouTube Channel for a preview.
Carol Black, director of the documentary film Schooling the World & creator of the tv series “The Wonder Years.” She studied lit/education at Swarthmore College and UCLA, and for 25 years has been involved in the unschooling/alternative ed movement.