consequences of deforestation
- Destroys millions of species and their habitats
- The cutting of trees removes the forest canopy which blocks sun during the day and keeps heat in at night. This causes climate change, and is disruptive to the plants and animals.
- The slash and burn technique releases carbon into the air which contributes to the greenhouse affect and global warming, and can also harm ecosystems.
Human Environment Impacts on Water
Consequences of Water Pollution
- Harmful to aquatic life and contributes to creating dead zones.
- Can soak into the ground and pollute drinking water, and can cause illness or disease.
How They Fit Together
Impact on the Future
Water is an important element for survival, and it also decides the diversity of life in an area. Pollution from pesticides and fertilizers can change the temperature of water, and can harm organisms living in rivers, lakes, and oceans. Drinking water contaminated with chemicals can also lead to serious health problems.
Why is deforestation a negative HEI impact?