Terra Linda Tiger Tale
August 18, 2021
Dear Terra Linda Families,
I hope you're having a good summer so far! I am looking forward to seeing students and families in person very soon! Whether this will be your student's first in-person experience at Terra Linda or you are returning for another year, we are ready to welcome your student and help them have a positive experience at school full of learning and new discoveries.
We have some plans in place for the fall, so be sure to check out the calendar of events below. Our first all-school event is scheduled for Thursday, September 2 between 4:30 and 6:30pm in partnership with our Parent Teacher Club (PTC). Please check out all of the details below!
With the most recent updates relating to mask mandates, you may once again find yourself in a place wondering what the coming year may bring. BSD is committed to opening 5 full days in the coming year and as of today, mask mandates, 3-foot distancing, and hand washing practices are the most critical guidelines to follow. Some of the other protocols from last year will remain in place as well. I will continue to share details with you over the next few weeks. In the meantime, BSD has the most up-to-date information based on frequently asked questions on the Back to School Information page and specifically around plans for full in-person learning.
Thank you for your patience as you await updates. It is my desire to give you the most accurate information in a timely manner without shifting gears more than necessary.
If you have any questions, please call our office anytime between 8:00am and 4:00pm. 503-356-2490
Enjoy these last few weeks of summer. Thank you for encouraging your students to read and of course play a lot!
2021-2022 School Calendar Dates
Wednesday, August 25 at 10:30am or 6:00pm (choose 1): Kinder Family Welcome
- 10:30am in person at Terra Linda
- 6:00pm on Zoom
Thursday, August 26 at 6:30pm: New Family Orientation (grades 1-5) in person at Terra Linda
Tuesday, August 31 6:30pm: Principal Chat on Zoom
Wednesday, September 1 after 3:30pm: Check your email or ParentSquare for a welcome message from your new teacher
Thursday, September 2 4:30-6:30pm: Meet Your Teacher Night, Supply Drop Off & Back to School Picnic
- Monday, September 6 - Labor Day Holiday - No School
- Tuesday, September 7 - No School
- Wednesday, September 8th - First day for grades 1-5, Kinder Check-Ins by appointment
- Thursday, September 9th - 2nd day for grades 1-5, Kinder Check-Ins by appointment
- Friday, September 10th - 3rd day for grades 1-5, Only Kinders with last names A-I attend
- Monday, September 13th - 4th day for grades 1-5, Only Kinders with last names J-Z attend
- Tuesday, September 14th - all students attend
- Thursday, September 23 - Curriculum Night 6:30pm
Wednesday evening, October 20 & Thursday, October 21
School closed for conferences: Thursday, October 21 & Friday, October 22
Wednesday evening, April 27 & Thursday, April 28
School closed for conferences: Thursday, April 28 & Friday, April 29
New Family Orientation
Kinder Academy & Kinder Family Welcome
- 10:30am in person at Terra Linda
- 6:00pm on Zoom
Zoom Info for 8/25 @ 6:00 pm
- Meeting ID: 963 8238 7115
- Passcode: Tigers
If you have a Kindergartener and are also new to Terra Linda with older children, you are welcome to attend one of the sessions on the 25th, the New Family Orientation on the 26th, or both.
Kindergarteners who are attending Kinder Academy will receive a building tour during Kinder Academy. If your family would also like a tour, please make an appointment with our office.
Terra Linda Staff 21-22
Richard Will, John Taft, and Kathy Rebitzke made the decision to retire. Congratulations to all three of them!
Taryn Scott-Wenz is our new School Counselor, replacing Britta McCarter
Courtney Neale is our new School Social Worker, replacing Terri Hammond
Heather O'Leary is our new School Nurse, replacing Zandi Wesenberg
Vittoria Tanisha is our new Special Education Resource Teacher, replacing Monica Collins
Anni Chatterton is our new School Psychologist, replacing Bryan Cummiskey
Andrea Bocchi is our new Health Assistant who also supports several other schools
Kaycee Schoellhorn is our new Para Educator, replacing John Taft
Asha Chacko is another new Para Educator, replacing Nicole McAllister
Britta, Terri, Zandi, Monica, Bryan, and Nicole are all working at other schools in Beaverton.
Staff changing roles at Terra Linda
Kristy Edmunds is our new full-time Academic Coach
Allison Henning is our new full--time Student Success Coach
Staff returning to Terra Linda
Katherine Bunting and Melissa Nazal will be working with students in our SRC classrooms
You can see our full staff list on our website: https://terralinda.beaverton.k12.or.us/
Need to Share Info Before September 8?
To reach our school counselor, our school nurse, or our school social worker with anything they need to know before the school year begins, you can email them or call us at Terra Linda and we will connect you with them.
Meet your Teacher, Supply Drop-Off, & Back to School Picnic
The purpose of this event is for students to meet their new teacher, see their new classroom, and drop off their supplies. In addition, families are invited to our covered play area on the playground for a resource fair where they can meet some of our non-classroom staff, learn about participating in our Parent Teach Club (PTC), and learn about additional community resources and activities. Play.Fit.Fun will be on our field offering organized activities for children. Thank you to World of Smiles for sponsoring Play.Fit.Fun so that all activities are free!
Be sure to stop by the PTC table for a free bottle of water. Thanks to the PTC for sponsoring this event!
Thursday, September 2 from 4:30-6:30pm
In order to spread out visitors to classrooms, please try to attend according to the schedule below. However, if your need to join us in a different time window due to your family's schedule, please do so.
- Last Names A-F: 4:30-5:00
- Last Names G-N 5:00-5:30
- Last Names O-Z 5:30-6:00
A maximum of three families can be inside each classroom at a time. Please plan to stay inside for about 5 minutes. Families will enter and exit through the exterior classroom door.
Our event will be held mostly outdoors. While outdoors, masks are not required. The only indoor portion will be when you meet your teacher or need to use the restroom.
What to Bring
- School Supplies - Listed here by grade level
- Mask - Masks are required when indoors
- Optional: A picnic dinner or money to purchase from the Koi Fusion Food Truck - here is the menu so you can plan ahead
- Optional: Picnic blanket or folding chair if you want to sit on something other than the grass
- Students should wear closed-toed shoes so they can participate in the Play.Fit.Fun activities on the field
Prescription medications must be in the original prescription packaging with the student's name listed. Any over the counter medications (Advil, cough syrup, etc) must be in a new, unopened container along with a child's dosage listed on the packaging.
Students cannot bring their own medications to school without prior permission from our office and/or school nurse.
ParentSquare for School Communication This Year
The Beaverton School District is now using the ParentSquare platform for district, school and teacher communications, primarily with email, text and app notifications. ParentSquare automatically generates an account for each parent/guardian, using their preferred email address and phone number. Download the app or log into the ParentSquare web portal. For more information, please visit the BSD ParentSquare webpage.
Be sure to customize your settings to match your preferences!
Need help? Just call us at Terra Linda. You can also watch the short video below.
Principal Chats on Zoom
August Principal Chat: Tuesday, August 31 at 6:30pm on Zoom
Meeting ID: 959 7926 2449
Plan Ahead for Mornings at Terra Linda
- Student supervision will begin at 8:15 am. Students will need to wait at the fire gate until our crossing guard arrives or remain in vehicles until 8:15am.
- Club K will be at Terra Linda and is offering before school care for those who need it. There may be other area daycare providers who offer before school care and also transport children to Terra Linda in the morning.
- Students will enter their classroom from the exterior door, just like last spring. The only exceptions will be 5th graders who will enter from the Library door and students in the SRC will enter from the main Module doors.
- All students who walk/roll to school or ride the school bus will walk onto campus through the north end of the playground near the library. They will then walk to their classroom door.
- Students who would like to eat breakfast can go to the cafeteria.
- From 8:15-8:25, students will have the option to sit at tables in the library, play outdoors on the playground, or play indoors in the gym. Students will then walk to their classroom at 8:25.
- Classes begin at 8:30am. Please make every effort to have your student at school prior to 8:30am every day. Thank you!
- Classes end at 3:05pm
- Parents/Guardians will provide Going Home Plans at the Meet Your Teacher/Supply Drop Off/Back to School Picnic on September 2.
- Any changes to the plan you give us must be made by noon on the day of the change by calling us at Terra Linda.
- Dismissal options will be riding the school bus home, walking/rolling home, or car line pick-up.
- Staff will escort all students walking/rolling home across the crosswalk. If you want staff to hand your student off directly to you, you can request that on the Going Home Plan.
Breakfast & Lunch is Free for All Students in 21-22
All students are welcome to eat school-provided breakfast and lunch each school day. It is free for all students. Students are also welcome to eat breakfast at home and to bring their own lunch to school. You do not need to tell us your plan each day. Students will enter their lunch number after selecting their food items. We will have ID cards available for Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade students until they learn their lunch numbers (6-digit student ID number).
Did you know that your meal benefits application provides more than just free meals for your student?
Your free and reduced meal application also means:
- Increased funding for schools to ensure students receive the support they need.
- Access to Comcast Internet Essentials for a reduced fee
- Reduced fees at THPRD
- Fee waiver for student device damage and loss protection program
- Could make you eligible for federal funding programs
So even though all students will receive free meals during the 2021-22 school year, you'll still want to fill out the application.
To apply, head to our website: https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/departments/nutrition-services
If you need help filling out the application, please call us at Terra Linda. We are happy to help! We also have paper applications available.
To access any benefits at school, you must check the box on the Meal Benefit Application to share information with the school district.
Back-to-School Resource Fair
Free COVID-19 vaccinations will be available for ages 12 and older, as well as free school supplies and free masks and face shields.
As we gear up for the start of the 2021-22 school year, there are a number of volunteer opportunities at schools and the district. All volunteers must be pre-approved with a background check. Learn more and get started by going to this website:
Club K After School Zone
Beaverton Education Foundation
Links to View the BSD Website in your Home Language
View the BSD website in Arabic
View the BSD website in Chinese
View the BSD website Japanese
View the BSD website in Korean
View the BSD website in Russian
View the BSD website in Somali
View the BSD website in Spanish
View the BSD website in Vietnamese
Here are links for resources available in the community:
(The location for the resources may change, but you can find them by searching COMMUNITY RESOURCES on the Beaverton District Website)
You can access COVID-19 vaccines by calling 1-833-907-3520
Here is information on rental assistance for past due rent and utilities.
Free Community Counseling, 1-3 sessions and connection to other support. For anyone who has been negatively impacted by pandemic stressors. This is not just for people who have had COVID-19.
You can select your insurance and any other things that might be important to you on the left-hand side written in blue.
Parks and Recreation:
Questions? Contact Terra Linda
Options for contacting us at Terra Linda
- Call Terra Linda at 503-356-2490
- Fill out this form to send us an email.