FJVD Weekly Info!
We Live the Word!
Friday, March 16
Dear Students, Families, and Friends,
Once again, the 8th grade students of Father John V. Doyle School will present Living Stations of the Cross. Students portray the last painful hours in the life of our Savior in an effort to bring a closer understanding of the suffering of Jesus on the path to His death on the Cross. It is our hope that witnessing His strength through a live presentation will inspire all of us to endure suffering and hardship in His name.
We offer two versions of the presentation each year, led by our religion teacher Mrs. O'Keefe. The main presentation, a tradition since 2006, takes place in our Church where students act as narrators and create a live depiction of each station. This version is not so much a production as it is a time of prayer. It is presented at noon, which is the regular time for Stations in our parish every Friday during Lent.
A version modified for younger grades uses the same live depiction of each station with an age appropriate narration. The Stations are described by our student narrators in story form with language geared towards grades K-4. While younger students know “the basic story,” the presentation strives to deepen their understanding of this time of suffering in the life of Christ.
Our middle school religion curriculum is a 3 year program. It covers the Old Testament, the life and mission of Jesus Christ, and the history of our Church. By Lent of their third year in the program, the 8th grade students are familiar with the events in the life of Christ and how they relate to us as Catholic Christians. Students are asked to volunteer for the presentation and there is never a shortage of students willing to take part. They rehearse often during the Lenten season. Throughout the rehearsals, the significance of what they will be presenting is impressed upon the students. Even when there are glitches in the preparation, it always seems as though the Holy Spirit guides the students through a solemn and meaningful final presentation. This not only supports the instruction the students receive, it also makes the Stations of the Cross come alive for our parishioners.
Living Stations this year will take place on Friday, March 23, 2018. All are invited to attend.
As always, Thank You for your support of Father John V. Doyle School!
Mrs. Jae T. Smith
SAVE the DATE!
Faculty and staff will be serving pancakes and juice from 7am to 7:30am for only $1 per person. All family members are welcome to join us!
Grandparents' Day Planning meeting - March 19
This year Grandparents Day will be held on April 4th. In order to make this years event a success, we need several volunteers. A planning meeting will be held on Monday March 19th at 7:00 pm in the Father John V. Doyle faculty room. ALL are welcome to attend this meeting! We need YOUR input! Please email Christine Andrews, email@example.com if you are not able to attend the meeting but would be interested in volunteering.
RSVP needed for Grandparents' Day on April 4, 2018!
Silent/Live Auction - April 14, 2018
Lunch Menu for April 2018
Orders and payments are due on or before March 22, 2018 by 9am. Thank you!
SchoolKidz Supply Kits
- Ladies Choice Event PHOTO order form
- Way of the Cross Wednesday March 28, 2018
- Lenten Food Drive info
- Golf Tournament flyer
- Golf Tournament registration form
- Golf Tournament sponsor letter
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
- Ladies Choice Event March 17
- Lenten Food Drive collecting Beans & Soup March 19-23
- PreK Color Day - Green - March 23!
- Living Stations 9am in the gym and 12pm in Church on March 23
- Report Cards sent home March 23
- Pennies for Patients March 26-29
- Holy Thursday Program March 29
- Read-a-Thon April 1-13
- Grandparents Day April 4
- Early Dismissal 11:35am April 4
- Scholastic Book Fair April 2-6
- First Friday Mass (8G & 8P) 10am April 6
- Reading Week April 8-13
- Silent/Live Auction April 14
- Grade 8 Class Trip April 26-29
- Progress Reports sent home April 27
- First Communion April 28
- Teacher Appreciation Day May 1
- Early Dismissal 11:35am May 2
- May Crowning 1:30pm May 4
- Golf Tournament May 5
- Ascension Thursday Mass (5M) 10am May 10
- Middle School Dance May 10
- No School for Students/Faculty PD day May 11
- Father Grenon 40th Anniversary Mass 5pm May 12
- FJVD Drama Club Dinner Theater May 19
- Dress for Charity May 25
- Gentlemen's Choice Event June 2
- Grade 8 Awards Banquet June 5
- Eighth Grade Awards Night June 5
- Music Program Spring Concert June 7 @ 12:45pm
- Grade 8 Graduation June 9 @ 11am
- PreK Graduation & K Celebration June 12 @ 9am