May 12, 2023
In This Issue...
- A Message from Marcie
- Field Day Volunteer Sign-Up
- Band and Orchestra Virtual Open House for 3rd Grade Families
- Sign Up Now For 2023-2024 Park District Before/After Care
- DPS109 Parent/Guardian Series
- Other Important Info...
Don't miss the PTO Spotlight:
- Save the Date: Last PTO Meeting 5/19 9AM
- Order DQ for lunch 6/6
- Fundraiser at Culvers 5/22-5/25
- School Supplies on Sale NOW
- And much more...
A Message from Marcie 👩🏻💻
Thanks for a great week, South Park!
This week, we celebrated our wonderful staff during Staff Appreciation Week! A huge thank you to all of the families who helped by donating their time, creative energy, baked goods, and gifts to make this SAW the best we have ever experienced at SP!
This week, most students completed MAP testing. Because we still have several students who will participate in make-up testing next week, you can expect to receive MAP results on or after May 30th.
Our word of the week was "relevant," which we used in the context of teaching students about staying on topic or making appropriate comments when speaking to teachers and classmates. Setting expectations continues to be a priority for us so that students are successful in our classrooms. Helping our students understand what it means to be relevant is critical as they participate in class discussions and student-to-student conversations.
Happy Mother's Day this weekend to all of the moms out there. Enjoy the weekend!
Field Day Sign Up
South Park's Field Day will be held on Friday June 2nd. Field Day volunteers are vital to our success each and every year. Parents have shown overwhelming support year in and year out and I know this year will be no different. Please answer the questions below if you are available to volunteer on Friday June 2nd There are two different time slots available. Please review some of the important event information below.
Field Day Times: (Volunteers Plan on arriving 20 mins. prior and staying 10 mins. after event times)
Grades 3,4,5 9:00-10:50 (Volunteers 8:40-11:00)
Grades K,1,2 1:25-3:15 (Volunteers 1:05-3:25)
Click here to Sign-Up to Volunteer
**** If you are unable to volunteer this year, but wish to help support South Park's Field Day, we would love your help in making and delivering Water Balloons for the event.
Thank you for your support!
Mr. Jeremy Sheldon
Band and Orchestra Virtual Open House for 3rd Grade Families
Hello, 3rd grade families!
Over the past few weeks, your child has been able to learn all about an exciting opportunity available to them in 4th grade - joining our band and orchestra family! They have seen performances from our middle school band and orchestra ensembles and met with instrumental music staff and student ambassadors to hear and learn about each instrument available for them to try out and select this spring. We encourage all families to talk about this opportunity with their third grader and to check out our instrumental music website to learn more about each instrument and watch past performances of our programs.
Additionally, all third grade families are invited to attend our virtual instrumental music open house on Monday, May 15th at 6:30 PM. During the webinar, we will discuss all facets of the band and orchestra program (which your child will register for this May), and there will also be time for us to answer many of the questions you have. Your child is welcome to attend the webinar as well, as we will have a number of performances by members of the middle school band and orchestra.
Please save this Zoom link to access the webinar! If you are unable to attend, the webinar will be recorded and made available for viewing the following day. Please direct any questions you may have to email@example.com and one of our directors will be in touch.
We hope to see you there!
-The DPS 109 Instrumental Music Team
From the District
Sign Up Now For 2023-2024 Park District Before/After Care
Upcoming DPS109 Parent/Guardian Workshop: “Collaborative Problem Solving”
We are excited for the last session of our Spring DPS109 Parent/Guardian Workshop Series on Thursday, May 18th at 7:00 pm: (Zoom link). Each webinar will begin at 7 p.m. No sign-up is required ahead of time, and the sessions will be recorded and available on the DPS109 website following the event.
Watch Last Night’s PPS 109 Parenting Webinar: “The Keys To Resilience”
You can find recordings for other PPS 109 sessions by clicking below:
Other Important Information ⚠️
- All visitors to South Park School MUST bring a valid driver's license or state ID card to the main office before entering into the building. Beginning this year, we will collect IDs during your visit and return it to you as you leave.
- If your child is going to be absent from school, you need to call or email us by 9:00 that morning. ** Call 847-945-5895, ext. 2103 and leave a message OR ** Email Nurse Nora Moskos.
- When parking in our Birchwood parking lot, please remember that our preschoolers are dropped off and picked up by the west end (closest to the school). Sometimes, their parents' cars can block a parked car from exiting for a few minutes. To avoid that, we suggest that you park closer to Birchwood Avenue.
- Please follow our morning procedures, and drop your children off at their regular grade level doors. If you choose to drive through the front circle at arrival, kindly stay in your car when you drop off to help us reduce morning congestion.
- Drop-off is between 8:35-8:45 a.m. Students who arrive after 8:45 a.m. will need to enter through the front door of the school, as all other doors will be locked.
- Dismissal for all Kindy and 1st-grade walkers and car riders will take place at their grade level door. Parents who park in the front circle should wait until 3:10 p.m. to do so.
- Dismissal is at 3:25 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. We dismiss at 2:25 on Wednesdays.
- Our practice is to let kids go outside if the temperature/wind chill is 10 degrees or warmer and it is not raining or snowing too hard.
Important Dates 📅
Tuesday, April 11-Friday, April 14
- Illinois Assessment of Readiness - Grades 3-5
UPCOMING EVENTS:Thursday, April 20
- South Park Showcase 5:00-7:00
- Field Day/Helping Hands Day
UPCOMING MUSIC CONCERTS:
- Kindergarten - Wednesday, April 26 @ 6:30