- The diamond team is having a full day meeting tomorrow to discuss staffing (how to spread out the 26 teachers we will have next year), as well as literacy assessment; May 6 PD; the updated literacy plan; and the final ACE plan for 2016-17.
- The division has advertised for French Immersion teachers, so we should be able to start interviewing next week.
The school division has had to cut 2.3 million dollars...
The School Board's Driving Purpose for Decision-Making
WC no longer has operational reserves to sustain current operations.
The Board determined they require a $2 million operational reserve at the end of 2016-2017.
In an $87 million budget a reserve of this size is appropriate.
There are “unknowns” on the horizon that need to be considered in terms of cost items.
- Board does have capital reserves...these are tied into identified costs (ie. bus replacement cycle, building maintenance). These cannot be pulled into the operational budget.
To deal with a $2.3 million deficit...
DO staff has been reduced by at least one ILS coordinator and one manager in the maintenance department.
One tech department position was cut.
Each department's operational budget has been reduced at division office.
Learning coaches will be reduced to 3 for the whole division.
Social Workers were reduced by at least 1 fte (we've been reduced by .2 at JS).
- The total number of educational assistants as been reduced through the division.
- Schools' Operating Budgets have been reduced across WC by $300,000. (This is the art supplies, math manipulatives, science supplies, paper, photocopying, fine arts presentations, etc.)
- There has been no reduction in inclusion coaches throughout the division.
- There will be no level 3 EAs, which is a reduction of 29 EAs across the division. We only had 1 level 3 EA at JSM.
- Level 4 EA allocations have remained the same (134 EAs) across the division.
- Classroom teachers in 16/17 will total 338.10 fte, which is a reduction of 1.71fte from the current year.