Vivi, Giulia, Lucca, Ricardo, Manu, Stella and Vinicius
The Arabian Peninsula contains seven countries: Oman, Yemen, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain. It is between Africa and Asia. It is the largest Peninsula in the world, and it was formed as a result of the rifting of the red sea. It is bordered by the red sea, the Persian Gulf, the Levant and the Indian Ocean.
The Arabian Desert consists in two major regions.
- Ancient Arabian platform: In the west. Composed mainly of Precambrian gneiss, that is a type of rock that was formed from formations that were originally igneas or sedimentary rocks. It was created from 900 to 540 million years ago.
- In the east. Made by sedimentary rock layers deposited on continental shelfs and within marin basis along the margin. Petroleum formedbetween these layers, making it the richest petroleum-producing region in the world.
People from this area are bedouins. They were nomads, but with the division of the territory, governments limited tribal mobility. Even though some parts of the culture still remains, after the discovery of petroleum modernization hit the Peninsula. Airplanes, telephones, television and cars appeared.
The Arabian Desert is very hot reaching temperatures as high as 54˚C.
- Coaster regions are subject to high summer humidity, with fog.
- Rainfall thoughout the desert averages less than 4 inches/ year.
- Winters are cool, with the coldest weather occuring at high altitudes and in the far north.
- Two semiannual windy seasons occur: from December to january and from May to June. They are called shamals.
There are four types of marriage practices in the Arabian Peninsula.
- Marriage by agreement: An agreement between a man and his future wifes family
- Marriage by capture: During times of water, the woman was captured and became the man's slave, being obligated to marry him.
- Marriage by purchase: The woman's family pay a man to marry her.
- Marriage by inheritance: The possession of a widow to the son of the man.
Even in the southwest, where the rainforest is heavier, there's no water supplies to have a good soil quality, so there's not a development in their agriculture. The minerals resource of greatest value is oil. The Arabian Peninsula has the largest oil reserve in the world. Oil was firstly discovered in Iran in 1908. After, oil was found in all the region. The region have very old mines that are full of natural resources such as gold, silver, copper and natural gas.
Before the Muslim religion, arabians were polytheist that had the powers of fecundity, protection, or revenge against enemies. The government does not legally protect the freedom of religion. Non-Muslim propagationis banned and convertion from Muslim to other religion is punishment by death.
Plant and Animal Life
- Plant Life: Primarily xerophytic.
- Animal Life: Desert insects (malaria carrying mosquito, roaches, lice, etc). Arachnida include large sapulgids, scorpions and spiders. Few amphibious and reptiles. Birds include local species as well migrant groups from Europe, Africa and India. Mammals were numerous before the 2WW.
The conflicts are mainly caused by internal political instability, backlash against US counterterrorism operations, and interference by neighboring states has contributed to rising violence and fractionalization.
- Al-Qaeda is the militant Islamist organization that is active in Yemen and Saudi Arabia.
- Responsible for the USS Cole bombing in October 2000.
- In 2002, the Al-Qaeda attack damaged a french supertanker in the Gulf of Aden.
- Responsible for the kidnap and murder of Pole Johnson in 2004.
- Suspected in connection with the bombing in Qatar.
- In 2014, the estimated population of the Arabian Peninsula is 77,983,936, including expatriates.
- Most of the Arab League's population is concentrated in and around major urban areas.