Eastside: The Greatest School
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else."
Week of February 4th
Eastside Mission & Vision
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Big Top Team of the Week goes to Science for their data collection methods on their CFAs!!!
Mrs. Franklin names Mrs. Pruitt as the Ringleader of the Week
Inspiration as we get closer to our Greatest Show!!!
We had two groups of special visitors on our campus last week. I wanted to share some of the things they said. ADE shared with me this and I quote, "Wouldn't it be something if all schools in Arkansas were doing what ya'll are doing for kids!". Greenwood was absolutely blown away with All Things Eastside. I hope your ears were burning, because Mrs.Manning and I bragged a lot on you guys! After seeing our assessment wall, they are going back to build theirs. They even contacted me over the weekend to get the dimensions of the paper.
I had a couple of teachers send me inspirations this week, so I wanted to share those with you all. Feel free if you find something inspirational to share it with me. I have one from Coach Winn that I will be sharing soon.
Keep striving! Continue to set strong expectations for your students. Do not water it down. Students will reach the potential that we set.
Countdown to the Greatest Show:
Kinder and 1st grade - 26 days
2nd grade - 25 days (due to field trip)
3rd and 4th grade - 44 days
5th grade - 49 days
DON"T FORGET TO GIVE IT YOUR VERY BEST!!! Remember the video we watched in staff meeting. I've attached the video. Feel free to watch it for more inspiration. I want your best, YOUR VERY BEST! Your kids need everything you've got! Eastside needs everything you've got! Your team needs everything you've got! Keep going!!! We don't want any regrets when we get scores back. Be super intentional in your planning. Also remember we are not teaching to the test. We want students to achieve greatness on our essential standards. When we aligned our essentials this summer, those essentials were showing up on the tests. The goal is to make kids better: Better readers, better writers, better mathematicians, better scientists and the list goes on and on. Remember we have the power to change kids lives!
Inspiration from Mrs. Isom
Inspiration From Mr. Oseguera - Watch at the 9:00 minute mark - A true picture of perseverance!!!
ADE films our math team with Dr. Howse!!!!!!
Details for the Week
Important Reminder about Professional Dress Code:
- Some of you with the cold temperatures have been straying from professional dress. If you are unsure, please ask me. Most likely if you are questioning it, you shouldn't wear it. Panther gear is only to be worn on Fridays.
- Be sure to watch the news this morning with your students. Mrs. Manning and I will be reviewing important info. One of these things is the attendance challenge from now until Spring Break. Attendance sheets were placed in your box. Make sure kids are coloring those in every day.
- Mid Year PGP meetings in the team meeting room
- Find time this week to review data binders with students. They need to be ready to talk about their growth with parents next week. K-2 will have these conversations with students during writing time in a small group or afternoon during science/social studies. 3-5 need to communicate with their colleagues about organizing the data binders. I have looked at a couple of student data binders. There seems to be lots of good information in there, but it is somewhat scattered. It should paint a clear picture of where the child is and where they are headed.
- Lil' Dribblers perform around 7:00 PM at the Senior High Gym. They have worked on a special show that goes with our theme! You don't want to miss it! Mrs. Manning and I will be there and we hope you will join us to cheer them on!
- Final Mid Year PGP meetings in the team meeting room
- Mrs. Hackett observed by 1st grade Westside
- SIT meets
- Data day in PROWL - Give an assessment prior to Thursday and review with kids on Thursday where they are on meeting their I can statement. Make notes of your data to share in recess meetings on Friday. We will look at groups and determine next steps for our PROWL groups.
- Content Team Meetings
- Spirit Day at 8:30 AM. Students will go straight to class in the morning. We will call for classes to be dismissed to the PE building.
- Our attire for every Friday is jeans (with no holes) and panther shirts/teacher shirts. If you are not dressed appropriately, you will be asked to go home and change.
- Complete your SIT commenting this week with any staff member working with K-2. Make sure to place the date in the date column. Then place your name in front of your comment in the teacher comment column. MAP PM will start back up next week. DIBELS PM will be with 3-5.
- Recess Meetings - Bring your PROWL data.
- Important News:
- Room Environment: Take a look around your room with student eyes. Some of you need to declutter your room.
- Staff attendance incentive for the month of January, February and until Spring Break: The PTO will be donating 3 $100 bills for a drawing for staff with Great Attendance. If you have had perfect attendance (not counting PD), you will get three chances to win. If you have missed 1 day (not counting PD), you will get two chances to win. If you have missed 2 days (not counting PD), you will one chance to win. We will draw prior to leaving for Spring Break. Thank you PTO!
- Follow link to see an example of using the Jigsaw method. Remember the Jigsaw method will give you 4 years of growth in one year (according to Hattie with an effect size of 1.20)! https://system.na1.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=37151&c=713075&h=af6623bb152644627d6a
Information to put on class newsletters:
- Valentine's Day parties will be held on February 14th at 2:00. Remember that the day is a regular instruction day. Student boxes will need to be made at home so give parents plenty of notice. As in years past, 5th grade may bring in Valentine's but will not have boxes. Remind parents that we will not serve homemade treats.
- Students cannot have any deliveries such as flowers or candy.
- Remind parents about our parent center. Let them know you will be happy to send items home for them to work with their child.
Be a Winner!
Greenwood Visits Eastside
Computer Science Word of the Month: LOOP
Character Word of the Month:
Important Dates (Refer to our EES 2018- 2019 Year at a Glance Calendar in Google Drive)
I have updated the EES Calendar at a glance with lots of new upcoming dates.