Wanamaker Library Newsletter
Year End News for 2018-19
Battle of the Books
William Allen White Challenge
Bill Martin, Jr. Challenge
Barnes and Noble Outing
Did you know?
In honor of the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library's featured summer reading program is all about space. There are more than 300 events happening at the library this summer, and many of them are space related. See the library's website for details and to sign up for a library card if you don't already have one. Suggested reading lists for ALL ages are also available on the website.
Wanamaker students who complete the summer reading program at TSCPL and bring their completion certificate to Mrs. Reinert will be invited to an ice cream sundae/brownie party when school starts in August!
Even bigfoot likes to read!
Year End Library Report
- Total circulations of materials--40,396
- Total items housed in the WE library--17,034
- Total number of 40 minute library lessons taught--540
- Total number of PebbleGo database logins--10, 718
- One Scholastic book fair
- School-wide bookmark contest (library and art dept.)
- All 2nd graders participated in the Global Read Aloud author study and connected to students from around the world by using Skype, Padlet, and snail mail
- 2nd graders took part in a Mystery Skype with a class from Pennsylvania as part of the Global Read Aloud
- Picture Book Challenge in November with individual and school wide goals achieved
- 18 classes participated in the International March Book Madness Tournament
- Student led morning book club met monthly with twenty-two 4th and 5th grade participants
- Kansas Book Festival author visit for all 4th graders
- Skype visit with author Kate Messner for all 3rd graders
- Skype visit with author Liesl Shurtliff for all 5th graders
- Collaborated with 4th grade teachers and art teacher on Famous Kansan research projects
- Collaborated with 6th grade social studies teacher on Voki Biography projects
- Battle of the Books Competition involved 25 students and 14 staff members
- Eleven 3rd-6th grade students completed the William Allen White Challenge
- Eighteen 2nd graders completed the Bill Martin, Jr. Challenge
- A Bucks 4 Books fundraising campaign resulted in a $500.00 donation to the American Library Association on behalf of Wanamaker Elementary
- Mrs. Reinert attended the District Library Conference held in Emporia