THE POWER OF 3
What do these students all have in common?
Let's Talk About Reading...
READING & TECHNOLOGY: RESEARCH REVIEW
- Both are best done embedded across content areas.
- Both are primarily a means to an end, but sometimes require explicit instruction in order to be a useful “means.”
- By adulthood, people tend not to read or use technology “for their sake.”
- Both require multiple skills that can and should be taught explicitly, students should also use both means for diverse purposes
AUDIO BOOK OPTIONS
- Learning Ally
- Project Guttenberg
ACTIVITY: REWORDIFY DEMO
1. Click this link, or go to www.rewordify.com
2. When you get to the website click the "demo" button
3. You’ll see a green box appear that says, “Welcome to the demo!”
4. Use the “Next” link in the green boxes to go through the demo, step-by-step. Be sure to follow the instructions in the green boxes. Use the worksheet provided to take notes as you go
through the demo
Writing Fluency Options:
- Built-in tools on all operating systems (iOS)
- Google Docs (Voice Dictation)
- dictation.io (Only in Chrome)
- iPads: Dragon Dictation
- CoWriter Universal (App and Chrome Extension)
CO-WRITER UNIVERSAL (CHROME EXTENSION)
MORE CHROME EXTENSIONS
1. With a small group or individually, browse the chrome store for apps and extensions that look like they might be beneficial to use with students.
2. Be prepared to share 3 apps or extensions and how you plan on using them. (If you don't find 3 new items to share; you can share any that you already use and tell us why you love them or any of the ones we've discussed today and how you think you might use it...)
A FEW WORTH CHECKING OUT... (IN MY OPINION)
- Beeline Reader
- Mercury Reader
- Snap and Read
DIET COKE AND MENTOS
YOU HAVE 90 SECONDS... GO TO THE LINK AND ANSWER THE 3 QUESTIONS.
"GO TO PAGE" BASED ON ANSWER
- Based on student answer selection, they will be transported to different pages on screen
- Confidence boost (so not seeing all unknown material)
- Step by step guide in online resources
STUDENT OWNERSHIP OVER GOALS
TEACHING IS LIKE....
ACTIVITY: TEACHING IS LIKE....
ACTIVITY: PIC COLLAGE
1. Use PicCollage to create a graphic by yourself or with a group.
2. Either create a visual synectic like the one we just did that you could use in your classroom OR create a collage sharing at least 2 new ideas you've gotten today..
SUPPORTING BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE
- Earth Science
- 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute. 1 hr x 60 x 24 = 1,440 hrs.
- Almost 5 billion videos are watched on YouTube every day
WHY USE VIDEOS IN YOUR CLASSROOM?
- Videos engage students
- Hook to spark a conversation
- Free lessons/lectures
- Learn how to learn using digital media
- Students control content - rewatch, pause, fast forward
- Use video for advanced learners to extend their learning