Root Causes of Climate Change
by Alessandra Puglia
What is Climate? What is Climate Change?
Climate is the "average weather" for a certain area. Climate change is any variation in these climate patterns, typically long-term changes as opposed to the normal short-term fluctuations in the climate
What do Changes in Climate Do?
Factors that cause an ongoing change to the amount of incoming energy or the amount of outgoing energy can lead to climate change. These factors are referred to as ‘climate forcers’, because they force the climate towards a new warmer or cooler long-term state. There are natural and human caused changes to climate.
- Changes in Volcanic Activity >>Short term effect on climate
- Changes in Solar Output >> Long term effect on climate
- Natural Greenhouse Effect>> When energy from the Sun reaches Earth's atmosphere and it is partially reflected back to space. The rest of the energy is absorbed by greenhouse gasses i.e gasses like carbon dioxide that trap heat in the atmosphere.
- Burning of fossil fuels
- Conversion of land for forestry and agriculture
- Build up of Greenhouse gasses >>Enhancing the natural Greenhouse Effect. The planet may be warmed to dangerous, unseen levels.
and nitros oxide