Staff Weekly Update
For the Week of: April 4th, 2016
Welcome Back, Friends!
Also, as you return back you will notice that SGE had some spring cleaning done led by James, Patsy, Rose, Atlas, and Steva! I was in the building a few times this week and it was looking better and better each time!!! If you see any of our ABM crew this week, please give them hearty thank-you for their hard work.
As the picture above depicts, these next two months are going to go quickly!! It's such an exciting time of year and the warmer weather along with it will only make it better! Let's make these last two months with our learners filled with positive educational experiences!
Here are the details for this annual event:
- SGE KDG Round Up date is: Thursday, April 7th
- Rooms used will be the gym + the music room
- Music on this date will be held in room 127 (thank you, Joe, for making this change!)
- NO staff meeting on this date . . . NEW date for staff meeting will be Thursday, April 28th. Please mark your calendars accordingly!
- Also, our MAY staff meeting will be changed to Friday, May 27th - Teacher Record Day
- Our format for this date will be the same as last year.
- You will ALL get the full details once they have been finalized - just in case parents ask you questions about it.
- On the morning of Thursday, April 7th, please park in the BACK parking lot. This will help with keeping the side visitor spaces open for our KDG parents. Please see picture below. THANK YOU! I will send you a reminder email about the parking on Wednesday evening.
Friendly Reminder: An Evening with Jacqueline Woodson . . .
If anyone is interested in attending, please let me know! So far our RVSP list includes: Deb Milam, Lisa Cox, Martha Farley. If you'd like to attend, even last minute, please know we would welcome your company!
Family Science Night Is Around the Corner: Wednesday, April 13th!
Ryan LaPlante is the coordinator for this evening. Please contact him ASAP if you are able to assist him. Thank you!
Great Tweet Sent Out By Kylene Beers!
Tuesday Take-Away: Conferring with Readers + The HYSTERICAL Principal, Gerry Brooks!!
Conferring with Readers
- Conferring with readers is a cornerstone of Readers Workshop. If you are looking for some tips and strategies to use when you confer with your students, Youtube is a great resource.
- Jennifer Serravallo is the author of “The Reading Strategies Book”. She has some excellent video clips on Youtube that show her holding various types of conferences with her students. You can find a collection of her reading conferences here. You can also find some other conferring resource videos there. The conferring video clips are short, but are great examples of an effective conference.
Guaranteed to Make You Smile
- I came across Principal Gerry Brooks on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. (Yes, he is actually a principal in Lexington, KY.) Any time I need a chuckle, I check out his short videos on life at school. Click here.
Sidenote from Connie:
- The Reading Conferences link truly is a TREASURE of great videos on conferences!! I have "subscribed" to this page and will be watching more of them as well!
- This principal is SOOOO FUNNY! I had to put one of his videos at the end of this Smores page. Be careful . . . once you start, you'll want to keep watching more of them!!!
7-Day Forecast: A little bit of Winter will be returning for what we hope is just one more visit!
Here are our beautiful birthday friends for April 2016!
*If you are NEW and we do not have your birthdate, please email Alison so we can recognize you on your special day! Thank you!*
2 - Pam Anyaebuman
7 - Muff Biber
14 - Leslie Frobig
19 - Carrie Williamson
20 - Rhonda Munz
23 - Joe Budd
25 - Paula Marine