NOHL CANYON ROADRUNNER NEWS
AUGUST 27TH - SEPTEMBER 2ND: WEEKLY PUBLICATION
Message from Principal Strickland
We are excited to see you at Back to School Night coming this Tuesday, August 29th! We will begin the evening in the QUAD with some messages from the Orange Unified Public Schools Foundation (OUPSF) as well as our Nohl Canyon School Association (NCSA) (see parking message below). The evening will continue with two sessions of classroom visits to allow families with multiple students to visit all teachers. Please note that this Back to School Night is for Grades 1-6 (TK and Kindergarten Back to School was held on August 15th). TK and Kindergarten teachers will not be in attendance. TK/Kindergarten will have an NCSA sponsored Ice cream social on Wednesday evening.
Our Roadrunners had their first evacuation drill this week. The students performed great. It is fun to see our students thriving as they begin their journey for this new school year. In the week to come, this week's focus is Start with Hello! A special week to highlight and focus on kindness and welcome. A great week ahead to all Roadrunners!
August 27: 5th Grade Fundraising Kickoff Meeting (see below for details)
August 29: Back to School Night 5:15 (Grades 1-6)
August 30: TK/Kindergarten NCSA sponsored Ice cream social 5:00pm
September 1: Future Comanche Football Night - Canyon v. Fullerton FKS 7:00pm
September 4: Labor Day - Holiday
September 9: NC Angel Game Family Night
September 11: Patriot Day Assembly
September 12: Outdoor ED Parent Meeting 5:00pm
September 15: Make-up / Class Picture Day
Back to School Night for Grades 1-6
Please arrive early. While always a very generous host, Trinity Lutheran Church has let us know that their parking lot will be closed for maintenance on the evening of our back to school night. We are exploring options to extend our parking and hope to open the back blacktop area for additional parking.
Start With Hello Week - August 28th - September 1st
The Start with Hello program has been designed to help students identify loneliness and social isolation in their peers while teaching them strategies to reach out and help out to develop a community of inclusivity.
Monday: Hey Day!
Everyone will be given a nametag so others can reach out and say "Hey!"
Both students and all staff will be wearing a name tag throughout the day.
Tuesday: Post-it if it’s a Positive Day
Write a post-it note to leave a nice message for others.
- Classrooms will organize a “smile wall”. A place in their classroom for students to post kind notes to one another.
Wednesday: Mix It Up Day
Students will be encouraged to introduce themselves to a new friend and play with someone they don’t usually play with.
Thursday: Random Acts of Kindness Day
Random Act of Kindness Day: complete a random act of kindness
Staff will encourage students to acknowledge upstanding members of the community or their school campus by writing a kind postcard/note to them.
Friday: Wear Green
Wear green to promote unity and inclusivity
Musical Theater: CENTER STAGE PRESENTS "ONCE ON THIS ISLAND JR."
Auditions this week. Practice. Practice. Practice. Have fun Roadrunners!
Auditions: August 31st, 2:30 - 4:00 pm
Show Dates: November 8 and 9 @ El Rancho Charter
Everyone who auditions will be cast in a part!
Rehearsals every Thursday, 2:30 - 4:00pm
Audition info will be available SOON on the Center Stage website:
Canyon High School-Future Comanche Football Night - September 1 - Fred Kelly Stadium
Canyon High School invites staff, students, and families to Canyon’s Future Comanche Football Night on September 1 at 7:00 p.m., Fred Kelly Stadium.
Monday, August 28th, Canyon High will be dropping off complimentary admission passes to the Nohl Canyon office for distribution to your students. Each pass will admit one student and one adult. The theme for the game is USA and it will be a military appreciation night.
Parking Lot Procedures
Thank you for making our parking lot procedures during drop-off and pick-up a safe and efficient machine. We serve a large number of vehicles in short period of time.
Now that we are into the swing of things, we can very much use your help with a few critical items:
- Trinity School Parking Lot is CLOSED for drop-off and pick-up parking.
- Parents, with respect to Trinity Pre-School and their families, we are not allowing Nohl Canyon families to park in the Trinity parking lot. Please follow this guideline and support us in keeping a positive community relationship with Trinity School. Trinity will often allow us to use their lot for special events but should not be used for drop-off or pick-up.
- Please remain clear of the Trinity lawn areas. Trinity lawns should not be used for student waiting for drop-off or pick-up. Students should always be picked up from our school site. If students are still here after 2:40pm, we bring them behind our school gates into our QUAD area for safety until parent pick-up. Please do not have your students wait at the Trinity site for pick-up.
- Please be sure to use crosswalks when crossing all major roads. Students being dropped off on Nohl Canyon Rd. and then proceeding across the street, presents a significant hazard to those students.
- Keep in mind, the Nohl Canyon Rd. entrance to our parking area is only to be used during afternoon pick-up and is limited to Middle Lane traffic that is pulling all the way through the lot to park in the back school lot.
Parents, Please watch the following video on Parking Lot Procedures
Parking Lot Guidelines:
- Entrance Driveways
- Nohl Canyon Rd Driveway is used for Staff, Buses or Drive Through to EAST parking lot Only
- Nohl Ranch Rd Lower Driveway is used for Entrance for all cars
- Nohl Ranch Rd Upper Driveway is EXIT ONLY. This driveway is also Right turn ONLY during the hours of 7:30 - 8:30 am AND 2:00 - 3:00 pm
Please view the Parking Lot Procedures attachment below.
Trinity School Parking Lot is CLOSED for drop-off and pick-up parking.
- Parents, with respect to Trinity Pre-School and their families, we are not allowing Nohl Canyon families to park in the Trinity parking lot. Please follow this guideline and support us in keeping a positive community relationship with Trinity School.
Nohl Canyon Parents - if you need to park for drop-off/pick-up, or park to wait for your child, please utilize the following spots:
- Nohl Canyon's EAST back parking lot (West parking lot near Kindergarten area is STAFF ONLY)
- Nohl Canyon Rd where available (do not block driveways or park on the school side of Nohl Canyon Rd.)
- Dog park parking lot (Behind school)
4th, 5th, 6th Grade Parents
- If you have a child in 4th, 5th, or 6th grade only (do not have a primary child), please avoid parking in our drop-off/pick-up lane until your dismissal time.
- If you need to arrive early, please park in our back EAST parking lot to wait for your child.
- We need to keep our drop-off/pick-up lane open for each dismissal time to allow a steady flow of traffic.
Best Scenario - please pick up during the dismissal time for your specific grade level. Please use our drop-off/ Pick-up lanes to meet your child while parent stays in the car. We understand some families have multiple children with staggered dismissal times. If you need to wait for your child, please utilize one of the parking spots listed above. This will allow a continuous flow of traffic during pick-up.
Picture Day Makeups: 9/15
School Picture Day was on ON REGISTRATION DAY! We appreciate all of our families that were able to attend.
If you were unable to attend, not to worry. Make-up pictures will be held on September 15.
Photographer link: https://www.barksdalestorefront.com/shop/login/?ac=0008192IN
**The purchase window for pictures will open once proofs arrive.
Job Opportunities with OUSD
NOON - SUPERVISOR
We would love to hire some caring members of our community to help with Noon supervision!
OUSD and Nohl Canyon are looking for Noon-Supervisors! Hours are 11:30 - 12:45, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and 9:30 - 10:45 on Wednesday's.
* Please contact Sherrie Seltzer if you are interested in applying: firstname.lastname@example.org
If interested, please visit OUSD job opportunities webpage: https://www.orangeusd.org/departments/hr/employment-opportunities
CARES (Centers for Afterschool Recreation, Enrichment, & Safety) is hiring for Child Care Aids and Substitute Child Care Aids for the afterschool CARES programs.
Robotics Information Meeting
Are you a 4th, 5th, or 6th grader interested in joining our Nohl Canyon VEX IQ or LEGO robotics teams?
If you are interested in joining, please email Ms. Trenner (email@example.com) for information and an application.
Applications can be picked up from Ms. Trenner and are available in the front office.
Campus Volunteers Guidance and Requirements
Enclosed please find the 2023-2024 Volunteer Guidance Memo. Note that the application has been streamlined and many of the trainings have been eliminated.
Volunteers will need to complete the following based on hours:
· Volunteers who work more than five hours per week - Volunteers who work more than five hours per week must obtain a fingerprint clearance through the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigations and submit to a tuberculosis (TB) risk assessment/examination. Volunteers are responsible for all associated costs.
· Volunteers who work less than five hours per week - A Megan’s Law registered sex offender check will be completed for volunteers who work less than 5 hours.
Volunteers will also be required to submit proof of their completed Mandated Reporter Training (60 min) and the Districts Illness and Injury Prevention Program (5-10 min). Please call Natalie Montoya at 714-628-5515 with any questions or concerns.
2023-2024 STUDENT CALENDAR / ATTENDANCE
In the 2022-2023 school year, we are pleased to announce that 25 students earned PERFECT ATTENDANCE and Nohl Canyon had an overall 95% attendance rate!
Positive Information on Student Attendance:
SCHOOL UNIFORMS - AMERICAN CASUAL
Tops – Nohl Canyon Uniform shirts are to be worn each day. NC Spirit shirts are allowed throughout the week, along with scheduled themed days (Wednesday = College day). Nohl Canyon allows Free Dress on the final Friday of each month.
Bottoms – Uniform bottoms are to be any type (jeans and leggings included) of solid bottoms with no holes, stripes, or patterns. Colors are Black, Blue, Khaki, uniform plaid.
*Sweatpants not allowed
*Closed Toe shoes only (Crocs not allowed)
Please visit American Casual for information on Nohl Canyon Uniforms.
STUDENT MEDICATION FOR 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
FEE-BASED AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
CHESS MASTERSLearn to Play Chess!
● Beginner through Advanced Lessons ● New Chess Masters T-shirt ● Official Chess Masters Tournament with Medals ● Awesome Awards and Prizes!
Supervision starts at 2:15 PM
2:25 PM - 3:25 PM
September 11, 18, 25, October 9, 16, 23, 30, November 6
Out of Bounds is a multi-sport program that teaches fundamentals of movement - from running to throwing to kicking and more - through fun, engaging games!
K - 3rd grade
4th - 6th grade
2:30 - 3:45
K - 6th grade
9/11 - 11/6
1st - 6th grade
Anime, Cartooning, and Comic Creation
9/12 - 11/14
K - 6th grade
9/13 - 11/8
12:25 - 1:25
TK - 6th grade
Young Doctors: Pre-Med Academy
2nd - 6th grade
STEAMlab: Inventors Workshop
Learn the most popular Tik Tok Dances while having fun!
9/15 - 11/3
2:30 - 3:30
NCSA 2023-2024 WELCOME LETTER
NOHL CANYON WEBSTORE
Click link below to access the NCSA webstore!
NOHL CANYON FAMILY NIGHT AT ANGEL GAME - SEPTEMBER 9TH!
Nohl Canyon Family Night at Angels Stadium is back! Join us on September 9th at 6:07pm to watch the Angels vs Guardians followed by Saturday Night Fireworks. We will be seated together in Right Field MVP and have a limited number of tickets available so follow the link below to purchase via Cheddar Up before we sell out! Tickets are $30 apiece.
PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS HERE: NC Family Night Angel Game Tickets
Questions?: Contact Tracy Paul; firstname.lastname@example.org
PARENT / ORANGE UNIFIED INFORMATION
BUS PASSES NOW AVAILABLE!
Bus Pass office hours:
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed daily for lunch
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Bus Pass Office:
You may visit the Transportation webpage at: https://www.orangeusd.org/departments/business-services/transportation
ORANGE CANYON GIRLS SOFTBALL LEAGUE
NOHL CANYON KIDS CORNER
This week, many of our students assisted with preparations from Start with Hello Week! A great showing of Roadrunner care and spirit.