Sun Prairie Band Department Beat
New Idea To Help Us Stay Connected
In an effort to share the exciting things your band students are doing across the district we have created this monthly newsletter. We do not want to overload you with information or fill up your inbox, but we do want to keep you informed!
Thank you for your continued support of your child's education through music!
Great Day at Solo/Ensemble!
Many thanks to the parent/guardian volunteers who donate time or food to this event. We simply could not run this festival without your help and support!
Band Department Receives National Award!
The Sun Prairie Area School District has been honored with the Advocacy in Action Award for Outstanding RECRUITMENT & RETENTION from Music for All, Inc. for its outstanding commitment to music education advocacy.
The Advocacy in Action Award designation is presented to music programs, schools, and communities across the United States that demonstrate outstanding achievement in local efforts to provide access to music education for all students.
To qualify for the Advocacy in Action Award Designation, the Sun Prairie Band Department submitted a detailed description of its music program and project, “I’m In The Band”. Submissions were reviewed by a national panel of educators, administrators, and community and business leaders.
Research continuously indicates student engagement in sequential music learning improves brain-function while developing the life skills of empathy, self-confidence, and collaboration. Additionally, students of the arts demonstrate higher attendance, graduation rates, and academic achievement compared to their non-arts peers.
“The arts aren’t just important because they improve math scores, they are important because they speak to parts of children’s being which are otherwise untouched.” - Sir Ken Robinson.
The Sun Prairie Area School District’s submission will be part of the Music for All Advocacy in Action website (advocacy.musicforall.org), a clearinghouse of practical advocacy examples that can be adapted and replicated by programs nationwide. By collecting, recognizing and sharing outstanding examples of local advocacy efforts, Music for All ultimately hopes to inspire others across the nation to take action in their own communities.
Jazz Festival Season
Middle School Jazz Festival
Cardinal Heights Upper Middle School Aud.
Friday, Feb 14
Concert 6:30-7:30 pm (free)
High School Jazz Festival
Sun Prairie HIgh School PAC
Saturday, Feb 15
Concert 7:00 PM
Adults $10 Student & Senior $5
Spring Fruit Sale Ends Friday
The Band Booster Spring Fruit Sale is beginning this weekend and extends until February 14th. Here's some info about this option fundraiser:
Information & Online Forms will be found here: https://www.spbb.org/spbb-fundraisers.html (not yet updated)
Paper Forms available in the band room
Funds go into student's ledgers for band-related experiences and help the Boosters. For more information about the cookie dough & fruit sales, contact Cindy Melendy at email@example.com.
Paint Nite! We Need 15 More People By Feb 16!!
Unleash your inner artist Join us as we raise glasses and funds for this worthy cause! When you buy a ticket to this event, $15 will be donated to the Band Boosters. To date, Yaymaker has helped raise over $3.5 million for those in need with lively creative events that feel more fun than philanthropic. Feel good about giving as our local artist guides you and your friends through two hours of painting and laughing ‘til your cheeks hurt. The best part? You don’t have to be an artist to have an amazing time. All proceeds will go to the Sun Prairie Band Booster general fund.(For Band Parents/Guardians Only!) -
Sunday, March 1 at 6:00 PM
430 Clarmar Drive
Sun Prairie, WI 53590
$45 per person
How To Join? (Adults Only)
Only 30 spots available!!!!!!
High School Wind Ensemble Invited To Participate in 2020 Percy Grainger Wind Band Festival!
Congratulations to the Sun Prairie High School Wind Ensemble for being invited to the 11th annual Percy Grainger Wind Band Festival to be held April 3-4, 2020 in Orchestra Hall at the Symphony Center in Chicago, Illinois. Four bands were selected from across the United States to participate in a private clinic with Frank Ticheli and perform a concert in the legendary hall and home of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
Info for Students & Families about Festival:
April 3-4 - Percy Grainger Festival
- Chicago Illinois, Symphony Center (Home of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra)
- October 1 - $100
- November 1 - $100
- December 1 - $200
- January 1 - $200
Band O Rama and Three New Features!
SUNNY NUTRITION will be selling delicious, healthy smoothies prior to the concert in the high school cafeteria starting at 5:30 PM. They will feature two flavors at our event
- Cherry Dipped Cone
- Elvis Banana-Rama
Proceeds will go to support the band!!
BAND SWAG - we are excited to announce a new online store featuring clothing items for all of our bands! Shop for items with the Sound of Sun Prairie logo, Sun Prairie Jazz Logo, or District Band Logo. Ameriprint will even have some of the items at Band O Rama for you to look at and purchase.
WARD BRODT - Rob Smith from Ward Brodt will have a table set up at this concert as well. He will have some supplies for sale and would be available to talk to you about step-up instruments and more!
Congratulations Senior Michael Wu - Finalist in Madison Symphony Orchestra Final Forte Concerto Competition
Sun Prairie Band Booster General Meetings
Do you love band? Do your kids love band? If so, please consider getting involved with the Sun Prairie Band Boosters! This is a GREAT organization filled with parents/guardians just like you who want to support band in our schools.
Meetings are every few months and only last one hour. There are many ways to help out. Find a project that excites you and fits your schedule or just come to meetings to stay connected. The key is to take that first step and to come to a meeting.
Our next meetings are:
February 25th, 6:30 PM SPHS
May 24th, 3:30pm at SPHS
Sun Prairie Band Booster February Video Message
- Feb. 13 - Final Payment for HS Wind Ensemble trip to the Grainger Festival (payment is $200 total cost is $600) Grainger Festival will be April 3-4, 2020 at the Symphony Center in Chicago with guest clinician, Frank Ticheli.
- Feb 14 - Middle School Jazz Fest. Clinics 7am -5pm, Concert 6:30 PM, CHUMS Aud.
- Feb. 15 - SPHS Jazz Festival. Clinics all day and finale Concert at 7pm, SPHS PAC Tickets at door $10 adult/$5 student & seniors
- Feb 17 - PVMS Band Concert 6:30 & 7:30 pm
- Feb 18 -PMMS Band Concert 6:30 & 7:30 pm
- Feb 20 - PMMS & PVMS Band Clinic at UWW 7:45 am - 2:40 pm
- Feb 20 - SPHS Jazz I at Colonial Club, Cremer Auditorium, 1:30-2:30 Free and open to the public
- Feb 25 - Sound of Sun Prairie Kick-Off Meeting 7:00 PM SPHS Band Room
- Feb 27-28 - CHUMS 9th Grade & Wind Symphony Tour
- Feb 29- SOSP Registration Day (9 am - Noon) SPHS
- March 1 - Paint Nite Fundraiser, 6 pm, Prairie Lanes
- March 2 - Butterbraid Sale Begins
- March 5 - Cardinal Heights Band Concert 7 & 8 PM, CHUMS
- March 7 - 1st Rehearsal SOSP - 9am-1pm, SPHS
- March 10 - High School Band Concert, 7:30pm SPHS PAC
- March 11 - SPHS Jazz I perform with UW Madison Jazz Orchestra, 7:30pm, Memorial Union Play Circle
- March 14 - SPHS Jazz I to Shawano Jazz Festival, featuring trombonist Wycliffe Gordon
- March 18 - Wind Ensemble performs at UW-Madison Hamel Music Building Clinic and Concert, evening performance, TBA
- April 6 - Band O Rama Concert - 7 pm, SPHS
- April 25 - WSMA State Solo/Ensemble Festival - all day, UWW
- April 27 & 29 - Band Instrument Fitting Nights - PMMS, 3-8 PM
- May 4 - PMMS Spring Band Concert. 7 pm, SPHS PAC
- May 5 - PVMS Spring Band Concert. 7 pm, SPHS PAC
- May 20 - CHUMS Spring Band Concert. 7 & 8 PM, CHUMS Aud.
- May 21 - CHUMS 8th Bands at Beyond The Notes Music Festival, WI Dells
- May 25 - Memorial Day Parade
- May 31 - SPHS Jazz I will perform as a featured performer at the "MAMA" awards, Capitol Theater at the Overture Center
- June 2 - SPHS Band Banquet and Concert. 6 & 8 pm, SPHS