Author Study: Paula Danziger
By: Alyssa Balga
Paula gets her ideas by her experiences or if she had trouble coming up with ideas she would go into classes, talk to kids or play-act in her head. Paula is not working on any new stories since she unfortunately passed away July 8, 2004. In a scholastic interview, Paula gives advice to young writers, "Remember in the book Harriet the Spy how Harriet was told that to be a good writer you have to be a spy? I think that's true. Listen, watch, and imagine, and don't get so nervous about it."
Paula Danziger has written 47 books:
1. Amber Brown Sees Red
2. Amber Brown Goes Fourth
3. Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit
4. You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown
5. Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon
6. Amber Brown Is Feeling Blue
7. Amber Brown Is Green With Envy
8. Barfburger baby, I was here first
9. Second grade rules, Amber Brown
10. Orange you glad it's Halloween, Amber Brown?
11. I, Amber Brown
12. Get ready for second grade, Amber Brown
13. United Tates of America
14. What a trip, Amber Brown
15. It's an aardvark-eat-turtle world
16. It's Justin Time, Amber Brown
17. It's a fair day, Amber Brown
18. Forever Amber Brown
19. P.S. Longer Letter Later
20. Snail Mail No More
21. There's a Bat in Bunk Five
22. The Cat Ate My Gymsuit
23. This Place Has No Atmosphere
24. Que viaje, Ambar Dorado!
25. La Rentrée de Lili Graffiti
26. REMEMBER ME TO HERAL
27. Sequiremos Siendo Amigos
28. Justo a tiempo, Ambar Dorado
29. Danziger 3 in 1
30. Les Aventures de Lili Graffiti, tome 5
31. Everyone else's parents said yes
32. Es dia de feria, Ambar Dorado
33. Paula Danziger Shelf Talker
34. Make Like a Tree & Leave
35. Segundo grado es increible, Ambar Dorado
36. The Divorce Express
37. Earth to Matthew
38. Ámbar quiere buenas notas( Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit)
39. Not for Billion Gazillion Dollars
40. Un nouvel ami pour Lili Graffiti!
41. Divorce / Aardvark
42. Lista para segundo grado, Ambar Dorado
43. Can you sue your parents for malpractice?
44. Not for a Billion Gazillion Dollars
45. The pistachio prescription
46. Lili Graffiti. Livre et cassette
47. School Survival
The novels are general fiction children's books. She has not illustrated any of her books.
The targeted audience for Paula Danziger is children grades 4-8 (pre-pre-adolesence)
Analysis of Author's Craft:
In her book series P.S. Longer Letter Later and Snail Mail No More, the themes of the books are adolescent issues, changes and new experiences, divorce, friendship. The Amber Brown series is also well known and the themes are feelings and emotions, growing up, divorce, pride and self-esteem.
The books I have read/brought in by Paula Danziger are, P.S Longer Letter Later, Snail Mail No More, and her first published book My Cat Ate My Gymsuit. For two book I just listed, the style goes together. Snail Mail No More is the sequel to P.S. Longer Letter Later. P.S Longer Letter Later, is in the form of letters written by two best friends that use mail as a form of communication. Snail Mail No More, is the same two best friends communicating but this time by emails. The book is written in a series of emails by the two best friends. In the book My Cat Ate My Gymsuit, is written in normal chapter book form.