Fourth Grade News
Week of January 4, 2016
Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) Testing
Pencils and Erasers Needed!
All Wells’ 4th graders have a special opportunity to show our school spirit, patriotism, and amazing singing voices!
The Allen Americans have invited all Wells Elementary School families & friends of the choir to the Allen Americans hockey game against the Colorado Eagles on Sunday, January 10th, headlined by a special performance of the national anthem by the Wells Elementary School 4th graders!
Choir link - http://allenamericans.com/wells-choir/
Each teacher and performer are entitled to one complimentary ticket.
All siblings under the age of 18 can come support their brother or sister at the game, with a special $5 ticket offer. All adults can take advantage a $14 discounted ticket offer.
***Two lucky students will be selected to ride the Zamboni during the 2nd intermission of the game! (We will draw on Jan 8th and let the lucky students know!)
All tickets reserved through above website before Jan 8, 2016 will be dropped off at Wells, Friday Jan 8th, 2016 unless you want your tickets at will call.
Sound Check is at 2:35 - so we'll just need everyone there by 2:30 - doors open at 3:05 - puck drop is at 4:05. More info to follow.
Parking is free!
Any more questions, please direct to Shonda.firstname.lastname@example.org
Math homework - Due Thursday, Jan. 7th
1. Watch the Stem and Leaf Plot Video. The video can be viewed by visiting this webpage:
2. Post a comment on Google Classroom listing three things you learned from the video.
Spelling Test on Friday, Jan. 8th
Here is how your child can access the weekly spelling list on Spelling City:
The spelling list can be found linked to the following website:
Once spelling city is pulled up, the list will appear and your child can do different activities to help them study.
Please let Mrs. Miller or Ms. Hill know if you have any questions.
Miss. Burke - MissBurkeatWells2015
Ms. Hill - MsHillsatWells2015
Mrs. Miller - MrsMilleratWells2015
Ms. Murugesan - MsMurugesanatWells2015
Mrs. Sewell - MrsSewellatWells2015
Students of the Week
Ms. Hill's Class
Mrs. Miller's Class
Ms. Murugesan's Class
Mrs. Sewell's Class
December Book IT Reading Calendar
December Book-It tracking calendars went home in orange folders on Thursday, December 3rd. The December reading requirement is 300 minutes. Encourage your student to bring the tracking calendar in as soon as they have read the required minutes. A free Pizza Hut pizza coupon is waiting! Any remaining December trackers will need to be turned in by January 8th .
Topic 15 - Data Analysis
1. I can represent data on a frequency table.
2. I can solve one and two-step problems, using data in a frequency table, dot-plot, and stem-and-leaf plot.
1. I can identify that a linking verb links or connects the subject of a sentence to a noun, a pronoun, or an adjective that describes the subject.
2. I can explain how irregular verbs change spelling to make it past, present, or future tense.
1. I will understand that questions during reading can lead to more thoughtful learning and further investigation.
2. I can visualize while reading to help with comprehension.
1. I can recognize the organizational framework and key characteristics of expository writing.
1. I can describe what leadership traits had the most effect on Texas during its road to independence.
1. I can begin to understand and communicate the importance of the Earth’s cycles and systems.
Tiger Market Helpers for Friday, January 8th
By opening a book YOU can open a new world for a child and foster the love of reading for a lifetime!
Wells PTA is looking for volunteers to read aloud books to small groups of 1st and 2nd grade students. Book Buddies meet every Wednesday from 12:45 to 1:45. Please sign up and volunteer to fit your schedule; one time, once every two weeks, once a month or EVERY WEEK! You do not have to have a 1st or 2nd grader at Wells. ANYONE can volunteer! A Book Buddy can be a parent, grandparent, high school student or community member.
In order to be a Book Buddy, fill out the volunteer application on the PISD website or just click on the link below. It takes about a week to be approved.www.pisd.edu/about.us/partners.volunteers/volunteer.application.shtml
Then click on the SignUpGenius link below to choose your date and time to volunteer! www.signupgenius.com/go/20f044aabab23a0fd0-book
Order Your Yearbook! Time is Running Out!
HURRY, HURRY!!! TIME IS RUNNING OUT!
GET YOUR YEARBOOK NOW!
You can purchase a yearbook for $25 UNTIL November 15th. Starting November 16th, the early bird price will fly away and the new price will be $28. Don't delay! Take advantage of the price break before it's too late! Please remember that yearbooks are only being ordered online this year. Click below for detailed instructions on how to purchase your yearbook today!