August 12, 2022
From the Desk of Shurandia Holden
Hello Boggess Families,
Welcome to 2023! I hope you all had a fabulous break with your families! It is hard to believe we are already half way through the school year.
Congratulations to Mrs. Rhonda White-Myles for being selected as our Boggess Teacher of the Year! Mrs. White-Myles has been a teacher at Boggess for over 10 years. She is a phenomenal teacher and person. Mrs. White-Myles sets high expectations for students as well as herself. She will be a fabulous representative for Boggess.
Please join me in welcoming Aaron Roe, our new Boggess Art teacher. Mr. Roe is thrilled to be able to work with our Boggess students, staff and families. His background is in art and photography. Mr. Roe and his wife have four wonderful children. We are thrilled to have someone with such a passion for art and working with students join our Boggess family.
Science Fair Projects are due Tuesday, January 11th. The Science Fair will be held on January 12th. We look forward to seeing all of the amazing projects.
Plano ISD Board of Trustees Approves 2023-2024 Academic Calendar
The 2023-24 Plano ISD Academic Calendar was approved by the Board of Trustees during their meeting on Tuesday, December 6. The calendar features a start date of Wednesday, August 9, 2023, and an end date of Friday, May 24, 2024.
The new calendar includes 10 additional instructional minutes per day to allow for the following:
- Banked minutes (up to three days) for any unforeseen school closures such as inclement weather
- An additional teacher/student holiday
Other new calendar features include:
- A full week fall break for students
- A three-day fall break for campus staff (returning Thursday and Friday for staff days)
- Professional Learning Trade Days in December and February (rather than during the week of Thanksgiving)
- A winter break that provides more balance between the two semesters and aligns with neighboring school districts
- Spring break during the second full week of March (March 11-15), which aligns with neighboring school districts
Many factors were considered during the calendar development period, which included establishing parameters based on new and historical input from stakeholder groups (parents, students, campus and district administrators, teachers and community members). The administration provided updates, shared multiple calendar options and sought input from the Board of Trustees during three board meetings on October 18, November 1 and November 15. The final calendar, approved December 6, aligns with the following parameters:
- Length of the required school day/instructional minutes (75,600 minutes)
- Two semesters with a similar number of instructional days (while considering local, state and national testing in the spring)
- Mid-week start for first semester
- Exam/testing calendars (district, state, PSAT, AP and IB)
- Alignment with dual credit/Collin College
- Alignment with neighboring school districts
- Planning/professional learning time for teachers
- Fall break consideration
- Week off at Thanksgiving for students and campus staff
- Professional learning trade days scheduled outside of Thanksgiving week
- End first semester before winter break
- Two full weeks for winter break
- Professional learning day for campus staff following winter break
- Later spring break
- Banked minutes for unforeseen school closures such as inclement weather
- End school before Memorial Day
Revised School Hours for All Campuses
- Early Childhood Schools (Beaty, Isaacs, Pearson and Head Start) – 7:55 a.m. to 3:10 p.m.
- Elementary Schools (grades pk/k-5) – 7:40 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- Middle Schools (grades 6-8) – 8:25 a.m. to 3:40 p.m.
- High/Senior High Schools (grades 9-12) – 9:00 a.m. to 4:25 p.m.
- Academy High School – 9:20 a.m. to 4:40 p.m.
- Solomon Adult Transition Center – 9:45 a.m. to 3:55 p.m.
- Special Programs
- Elementary (grades K-5) – 7:40 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- Secondary (grades 6-12) – 8:30 a.m. to 3:55 p.m.
ATTN: 5th Grade Parents
MURPHY Counselor Corner- Current 5th grade Parents
Zoom and in person Information Parent Meetings - current 5th Grade Students for information on the 2023-2024 School Year.
Date: Monday January 9, 2023
Time Options: January 9th at 12PM- zoom meeting or January 9th at 5:30PM in person at Murphy Middle School Cafeteria
More information will be sent out ahead of the meeting.
Zoom Link January 9th at 12:00PM
In person Meeting January 9th at 5:30PM (Murphy Middle School Cafeteria)
Please remember that a student with any of the following symptoms will be excluded from school until such time as the student is free of symptoms, has been satisfactorily treated, or submits a signed physician’s statement that he/she is not contagious.
- Temperature of 100.0 degrees or more. Student must be fever free for 24 hours, without medication, before re-entry.
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Student must be symptom free for 24 hours without medication before re-entry.
- Pain and/or swelling at angle of jaw.
- Undetermined rash over any part of the body.
- Undiagnosed scaly patches on the body or scalp.
- Red, draining eyes.
- Intense itching with signs and symptoms of secondary infection.
- Open, draining lesions.
We love our volunteers at Boggess. All volunteers will need to create an account and complete an application, online orientation and background check through the Plano ISD volunteer management system, VOLY, to be eligible for district/school volunteer opportunities. Please visit plano.voly.org to create a volunteer account and begin this process. These items will need to be completed by volunteers each school year.
I invite you to stay involved and informed. Below are several ways to stay connected:
- Register for our weekly eNews on your child’s parent portal
- Check our Boggess website at www.pisd.edu/boggess
- Follow us on Twitter at @BoggessBengals
- Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BoggessElementary
- Check your student's agenda daily
- Monitor your email for teacher communication
I strongly encourage all families to join PTA. Our PTA has a strong partnership with our school that benefits every child! The programs, volunteer support, family events and financial support are part of what makes Boggess great.
Thank you for sharing your child with us!