Titan Talk Newsletter
October 4, 2019
Send candy directly to the school, by clicking on the AMAZON WISH LIST!
CALLING ALL MIDDLE SCHOOL VOLUNTEERS!
- 10/5 - FCS Second Annual Employee Wellness Festival and Fun Run/Walk - 5K Run/Walk at 8:30 a.m. (registration begins at 7:10 a.m.)
- 10/5 - Titan Advantage @ Elkins Pointe from 9 am to 12 pm
- 10/6 - Milton Jr Lady Eagles Basketball Tryouts @ MHS from 4 pm to 5 pm
- 107 - PTSA Board Meeting @ 8:00 am in Teacher Lunchroom
- 10/7- Chorus Concert @ 6:30 p.m. in Gym
- 10/8 - Hampton Film Academy, after-school in the Media Center
- 10/8 - Gymnastics Team Meeting after school!
- 10/9 - Drama Club, after-school in Ms. Bickel's classroom
- 10/9 - RAK Club, after-school in Ms. Dismer's classroom
- 10/10 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 10/10 - PE/AVID TAILGATE DURING CONNECTIONS -ALL DAY - BRING $$$ FOR KONA ICE.
- 10/10 - Hampton Film Academy, after-school in the Media Center
- 10/11 - FCS TEACHER WORKDAY - STUDENTS OFF
- 10/12 - Roswell Youth Day Parade - Meet @ 9:30 am at the First Baptist Church, 710 Mimosa Blvd. The parade departs promptly at 10:00 a.m.
- 10/14 - COLUMBUS DAY HOLIDAY - NO SCHOOL
Important to Note:
October 5th from 9 AM to 12:00 PM
All Students Welcome
Permission Slips Required *See WINN teacher
Note: This will be the first week of Titan Advantage
JOIN THE TITAN GYMNASTICS TEAM
Calling ALL Tumblers - No Experience Needed!
October 8th from 4:05 PM - 5:30 PM
PE/AVID FALL TAILGATE
October 10th - ALL DAY - During Connections
Bring $$$ for Kona Ice
No School for Students
ROSWELL YOUTH DAY PARADE
October 12th @ 9 AM
All students, parents, and teachers are invited to walk with the EPMS parade float.
*Candy, Candy, Candy Donations Requested!
COLUMBUS HOLIDAY - NO SCHOOL
7th GRADE TITAN FALL FEST 2019 VOLUNTEERS
October 17th @ 4:05 pm to 5:30 pm
Calling ALL Parent Volunteers to Sign Up HERE
KEEPING YOUR KIDS SAFE IN THE DIGITAL WORLD
October 23 @ 6 PM in the Media Center
Special Guest: Gina Young from the FBI
* Stranger Danger, Digital Fingerprint, Copyright, Explicit Content, Social Media
PINK OUT FOR BREAST CANCER AWARENESS
Friday, October 25th
* Show your support for Breast Cancer Month
Message from the Principal
Elkins Pointe is proud to announce we have a Georgia Reach Scholar. Congratulations to 8th grade AVID student, Belen Montalvo Vedia, for being named a George Reach Scholar winner! On October 2nd, the administration invited her parents to surprise Belen during 8th grade lunch. It was terrific for the entire 8th grade to share in her accomplishment. Suprendendint Dr. Looney will be honoring all Fulton County Reach Scholars at the district later in the month. Georgia Reach Scholars receive a $10,000 scholarship, along with a mentor/coach.
Next week on Friday, October 11th, Elkins Pointe will have an FCS Teacher Work Day. Students will not have school. On Friday, October 12th, Elkins Pointe will be participating in the Roswell Youth Day Parade. All students and families are invited to walk with the Youth Day parade float to support our school. Our Youth Day Committee needs candy donations for the parade. Please, will you drop off bags of individually wrapped candy at the front desk from Monday, October 7th to Thursday, October 11th? If you are unable to walk with the float, it would be appreciated if your family could donate a bag of candy.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Elkins Pointe Middle School
"Every Day, Every Student, College & Career Bound: Go Titans!"
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS & FAMILIES
To Elkins Pointe MS Parents:
In an effort to conserve paper and resources, we have decided to send all forms electronically. Please review and keep for your records. These forms are also linked to the Elkins Pointe website.
- 2019-2020 Fulton County School Calendar
- Accessing the Code of Conduct Online
- GA DOE Parent Occupational Survey
- Health Services Information
- Right to Inspect and Review Records
- Right to Know Teacher Qualifications
- School Bus Safety Information
- Student Accident Insurance Letter
- Talented & Gifted Screening Process.pdf
If you would like a Student Accident Insurance Plan application, please contact Ms. Traci Dease (Counselor) at email@example.com or have your child come by the Counseling Office and ask for one.
The Guidance Department
Georgia Reach Scholar!
Standing Ovation for Mr. Baugh
Congratulations to Mr. Charles Baugh, Chorus Teacher, on his vocal ensemble called Concordia performances on October 4th & 6th. The music group specializes in Renaissance Polyphony, so each voice part has an independent melody that can stand on its own, but when combined becomes something more significant than the sum of its parts. Please go to the performance, and you can observe our chorus teacher practicing what he teaches and loves!
Let's Hear it for MHS 8th Grade Band Night!
TEAM UP WITH THE TITANS
In September, the PTSA approved close to $2,000 in teacher grants thanks to the generous support of all of our donors! We only have to raise 10% more to reach our goal. Click here if you haven't yet donated. It takes a small amount of time to make a BIG difference!
THINGS TO KNOW
Spin With the Eagles - Register by 10/4 for Homecoming 10/18
The Milton High School Band and Color Guard have a program, Spin with the Eagles, during Halftime of the Homecoming game that invites students from K- 8th grade to perform with the Band. This year's homecoming is October 18th.
Registration to participate is due by October 4th.
Questions? Contact Diana Corbin, Guard VP at 404-667-7715 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Titan Advantage - 10/5
Donate Candy for the Youth Day Parade - CANDY, CANDY, CANDY!
The YOUTH DAY PARADE is on October 12th and we need candy donations. We are getting ready for the parade and need lots and lots of candy! Please drop off bagged, individually-wrapped candy at the front desk until Thursday, October 10. *For safety reasons: NO lollipops*
Join the Gymnastics Team! 10/8
For more information:
Participation packets are available in my classroom during Winn or before school in G106. Questions? Contact Coach Carol Dunn
PE & AVID Tailgate - 10/10
On Thursday, October 10th, the PE Dept, and AVID will be hosting our annual Fall TAILGATE in the gym/blacktop area. You may be asking what exactly is this???? We want our students to be motivated to have College as part of their futures. So what better aspect of the College Life is there other than a Tailgate? We'll have tailgating games, Kona Truck (frozen drinks) and hopefully lots and lots of sunshine
- When? October 10th, only during connections.
- Where? Gym/Outside Blacktop
- Who? All Connections are Invited for all grade levels
- How much money should students bring to the tailgate for Kona Ice? Kona prices are $3, $4, and $5
Roswell Youth Day Parade - 10/12
7th Grade Dance - 10/17
Picture Retakes - 10/23
October is Breast Cancer Fundraising Month @ EPMS
Elkins Pointe will be hosting a PINK OUT on Friday, October 25th in support of Breast Cancer Research and Awareness.
More things for Titans!
Samsung Stem Contest for Students!
The 10th annual Samsung Solve for Tomorrow STEM contest is officially open for applications!
This nationwide contest is designed to boost interest and proficiency in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), and challenges public school teachers and students in grades 6-12 to show how STEM can be applied to help improve their local community.
The even better news? We have increased our prize pool to $3 Million and more schools will win this year. We encourage students to submit your application today to kick off your school year.
This Solve for Tomorrow year is going to be a memorable one, so submit your STEM project idea/solution for your students’ chance to participate in the 2019-2020 competition! All it takes is answering two, short questions – take a few minutes to apply today on Samsung.com/solve.
Register for the FCS Employee Wellness Fun Run/Walk - 10/5
Registration is now open for our Second Annual Employee Wellness Festival and Fun Run/Walk on October 5, 2019! Join fellow employees for the 5K Run/Walk at 8:30 a.m. (registration begins at 7:10 a.m.) Following the Run/Walk meet us at the stage for live entertainment featuring FCS employees, and check out the Wellness Festival at 10:00 a.m. where registered employees can experience fitness, self-defense and financial wellness classes, Zumba and Yoga sessions, learn other new dance moves, participate in healthy food demonstrations, get a flu vaccination, visit our community partners and vendors – and so much more!
In our Kiddie Korner, there will be a wonderful obstacle course bounce attraction, face painting, bubble blowing, books and more. And that’s not all! A special attraction is the Atlas Dunk Tank featuring our very own Superintendent Mike Looney and Chief Talent Officer Ronnie Wade who will be sitting on the hot seat ready to take a swim (or dive)! Also, we are excited to welcome Tyisha Fernandes from WSBTV, who will join us to kick off the festivities!
You do not want to miss this event but tickets are first-come, first-served! Click here to sign up for the 5K Fun Run/Walk and the Wellness Festival. One spouse/significant other/adult family can come as your guest and participate in the Fun Run/Walk for a nominal fee of $10.00 but they must be registered (this fee includes a t-shirt and gift bag). Children can also accompany parents on the Fun Run/Walk, and attend the Festival, but must be registered in advance. This year, additional t-shirts are available for purchase (details to follow). Also, it’s challenge time - schools and departments are challenged to form run/walk teams and see who can cross the finish line first!
Registered employees and guests can attend the Wellness Festival at no charge which includes wellness activities, Kiddie Korner, entertainment, food and fun!
Finally, if you would prefer to assist with the event, we welcome volunteers! Sign up using our Volunteer Registration link.
For more information, email us at FultonCARES@fultonschools.org.
We will keep the information coming your way! Don’t delay – space is limited and tickets will go fast. Register today and we will see you on October 5.
LOTS GOING ON AT THE SCHOOL STORE
We need volunteers in OCTOBER! We are open from 8:00 to 8:50 a.m. Tuesday-Friday. EPMS students can help too! (Parent chaperone required.) Use the link below to sign up. Contact Kelly Evers email@example.com for details and to arrange a brief training before your first day.
We have Roswell and Milton bracelets available for purchase! Stop by the store and pre-order yours (sold @ $8 each). Remember that we offer GIFT CERTIFICATES at the school store so that your student doesn't always have to use cash for purchases that they make. Visit us in the morning to buy one.
TURN IN BOX TOPS AT THE SCHOOL STORE
Our first Box Tops collection deadline for this school year is right around the corner. We will collect for the fall submission until October 25, 2019. Place all Box Tops in a baggie and turn them into the school store (located to the right of the Atrium.)
SPIRIT WEAR IS HERE @ THE SCHOOL STORE!
Have you bought your Spirit Wear yet? Spirit Wear can be ordered at the School Store or online year around at: http://elkinspointe.deco-apparel.com/ Pick up all orders at the school store.
Connect to Feeders and the Community
Jeep Raffle for RHS Marching Band
BUY FOOTBALL TICKETS ONLINE
Title I Schoolwide Program at Elkins Pointe
Elkins Pointe is a Title I School, and we participate in the Title I Schoolwide Program.
What is Title I?
Title I is a federally funded program designed to ensure that all children have a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high-quality education and reach, at a minimum, proficiency on challenging state academic standards and state academic assessments.
The Title I program focuses on the academic needs of the most disadvantaged students.
- 10/14 - Columbus Day Holiday (schools closed)
- 10/16 - Katha Stuart Meeting: RHS @ 6:30 p.m.
- 10/17 - 7th Grade Dance Party @ after-school
- 10/21 to 10/25 - Bus Driver Appreciation Week
- 10/21 to 11/1 - Iowa Testing (ITBS) 8th Grade Window
- 10/23 - Picture Retakes with Cady Studios
- 10/23 - Digital Safety Parent University Workshop @ 6 p.m.
- 10/24 - Orchestra Fall Concert in EPMS Gym @ 7 p.m.
- 10/28 to 11/1 - Red Ribbon Week
- 10/29 – 8th Grade Band Cluster Concert @ Milton 6:30 p.m.
- 10/31 - Parent Resource Open House @ 9:30 a.m.
- 10/31 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 11/4 to 11/8 - Book Fair (set-up on 11/1)
- 11/4 to 11/8 - French National Week
- 11/4 - 6th & 7th Grade Band Concert @ 6:30 p.m.
- 11/5 - FCS Professional Day (students off)
- 11/7 - Student-Led Data Talks @ 6 p.m.
- 11/11 - Veterans Day: EPMS honors our veterans
- 11/20 - Katha Stuart Meeting: MPES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 11/21 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 11/22 - EPMS RFF Day (EPMS students off)
- 11/25 to 11/29 - Thanksgiving Break (schools closed)
- 12/3 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (English)
- 12/5 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (Spanish)
- 12/10 - Band Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m. ALL grades
- 12/11 - Katha Stuart Meeting: VMES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 12/12 - Chorus Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m.
- 12/12 - Spelling Bee @ 9 a.m.
- 12/20 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 12/20 - Last Day of First Semester
- 12/23 to 12/31 – Winter Break (schools closed)