October 9, 2019
WEEK AT A GLANCE
10/10 Rehearsal Marching Band Practice Field 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
10/11 NO SCHOOL
10/11 RHS vs. Cherokee AWAY Marching Band Band Room 5:00 PM - 11:30 PM (FULL BAND)
10/12 - Youth Day Parade Marching Band Downtown Roswell 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
10/12 - Mattress Sale All Band Room 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
10/14 NO SCHOOL All
10/15 Rehearsal Marching Band Stadium 6:45 PM - 9:15 PM
10/17 Rehearsal Marching Band Practice Field 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
10/18 RHS vs. Lassiter Marching Band Lassiter HS 6:00 PM - 11:30 PM
10/19 Jeep Event All The Dojo 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
10/21 RHSBBA Executive Board Meeting Media Center 7:00 PM
10/21 Winter Guard Interest Mtg. All Band Room 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM
10/23 Deadline: Order Spirit Wear All 11:59 PM
10/25 RHS vs. Walton Marching Band 6:00 PM - 11:30 PM
10/26 Georgia State Marching Championships Marching Band Georgia State
7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
11/1 RHS @ Woodstock Marching Band Woodstock HS 5:00 PM - 11:30 PM
11/2 White Columns Invitational Marching Band Milton HS 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM
For reference, a Calendar of Events (for the remaining semester) has been added to the bottom of The Stinger.
MARCHING BAND REMINDERS
FOOTBALL GAME RHS @ CHEROKEE - 10/11 (FULL BAND)
YOUTH DAY PARADE – 10/12
Did you know that Youth Day began in 1950 when a group of parents decided to sponsor a parade and a day of activities to honor the youth of the city? In 1951, Mayor Ford Rucker proclaimed the second Saturday in October as "Roswell Youth Day," and each year the tradition grows stronger within the community. Our marching band is a huge part of the celebration!
We need parent chaperones, Color Guard parents, and pit crew members for this event. It’s a quick event! Sign up here: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteer.asp?v=4786420
On Saturday morning:
8:00 AM - Drop off students at Roswell Baptist Church (710 Mimosa Boulevard)
11:00 AM - Pick up students at Roswell North Elementary School (10525 Woodstock Road)
· Students should take their instruments and uniforms home after Friday’s game.
· Arrive IN UNIFORM Saturday morning.
· Trailer will remain packed after the game Friday evening with Percussion, Tubas, Baritone Sax, etc.
· Color Guard should bring their pom-poms home with them after Friday’s game and bring to the parade Saturday morning.
· Return uniforms to the Band Room on Tuesday, 10/15 (there is no school on Monday).
Several roads will be closed in the downtown area during the morning hours for this event. Please expect traffic delays.
7 a.m. - Mimosa Blvd. one-way traffic northbound.
9:30 a.m. - The following roads will be closed to all traffic: Mimosa Blvd.
Pine Grove Rd. at Coleman Rd.
Woodstock Rd. at Wavetree Rd.
Crabapple Rd. at Minhinette Dr.
Woodstock St. at Green St.
Norcross St. at SR9
Elizabeth Way at SR9
The parade starts at 10 a.m. In addition, the 17th Annual Historic Roswell 5K Road Race will start just before the parade at 9:45 a.m. The roads will be reopened immediately following the conclusion of the parade. See you there!
GSU MARCHING BAND COMPETITION MEALS – DUE 10/12
We just learned that we can order meals for the Georgia State Marching Band Competition (10/26). If you would like to purchase a boxed lunch for the competition, please visit our web site and select your option. HURRY! Please make your selection and pay by this Saturday, October 12. On the web site, see Store / Marching Band Store or click on the link below to place your orders: https://www.roswellband.com/store/marching-band-store/
GSU Marching Band Championship Schedule:
6:00 a.m. Band Room Opens
7:00 a.m. Rehearsal
8:00 a.m. Pack Up
8:35 a.m. Depart for GSU
9:35 a.m. Arrive at GSU
10:35 a.m. Warm Up
11:45 a.m. Showtime
2:45 p.m. Awards
3:30 p.m. Student Social
5:00 p.m. Depart
6:00 p.m. Arrive at Roswell
CLASSROOM BAND REMINDERS
We emailed Student Financial Statements to band families on October 4th. Please check your account in Charms. All outstanding payments are due by Friday, November 22.
If your ordered water bottles, show shirts, and/or performance wear, please check that you’ve paid for those items. There may be some duplicates with concert attire. Please check that for accuracy too.
- For more information on how to pay fees, visit the Roswell Band web site at: https://www.roswellband.com/payments-and-donations/
- If you do not know your login to Charms to pay your fees, contact: email@example.com
- You can also place a check in the BAND drop box in the RHS front office between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Note: it may take several days for this to appear on your account.
- If you need assistance with paying Band Fees, please contact Mr. Moon for options.
- If you have questions or see discrepancies on your account, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
BAND BOOSTERS UPDATES
Where are your tickets?
Do you still have any tickets given to you? There are over 1,900 tickets yet to be returned back. That’s about $19,000 floating around out there.
As the Ed Voyles Raffle rules state, you are financially responsible for any tickets not returned. Please sell the tickets given to you NOW and return the envelope with the stubs and cash/checks to the front office of RHS. We are giving away free movie passes, coffee, bowling and go-karting as an incentive!
What you need to know:
1. Drop off your sold tickets and money and get more tickets on any of the following days:
Saturday, 10/12: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. @ the Band Room
Wednesday, 10/16: 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. @ the Band Room
Saturday, 10/19: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. @ The Dojo next to Trader Joe’s
- Target is 45 tickets per student. In fact, you sell 45 tickets and we give your child a $20 Amazon gift card as a ‘thank you’. And the Grand Prize is an iPad, AMEX Gift Card or Nintendo Switch!
- “How many have I sold?”…“I need more tickets to hit my target of 45!” Send all of your questions to email@example.com
- November 4th is the LAST DAY to sell and turn in sold and unsold tickets. Don’t procrastinate!
- Events coming up! Volunteers needed to help promote the raffle and the band.
- 10/12 – The Mattress Sale. We will have a table at the Band Room: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteer.asp?v=5004185
- 10/17 – Alive in Roswell. It’s our last one! Sign up at: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteer.asp?v=5004181
- 10/19 – The Dojo, next to Trader Joe’s: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteer.asp?v=4956135
Congratulations to the winners of our Weekly Student Incentives! We will continue to hold weekly drawings through November 8. For every 10 ticket stubs turned in, the student’s name goes into the drawing.
Week 1 – Brianna Jones
Week 2 – Nikki Burkhart
Week 3 - Leah Taylor
Week 4 – Carlo Dal Cerro
Week 5 – Josh Cordero
MATTRESS SALE – 10/12
Did you know you should replace your mattress every 7-10 years?
When is the last time you bought new pillows? Those should be tossed every 1-2 years.
Our mattress sale is this weekend! All this fundraiser requires is advertising on our part! Your student will get a personal credit on their Charms account for any sale made in their name: $50 per mattress and $10 per pillow! Students are not required to attend. However, we will just need a few band parents there to assist when necessary.
Date: October 12
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Location: RHS Band Room
· The band earns money for every purchase made.
· We also earn money for every pillow, mattress protector and adjustable base!
· Our community saves money on name brand mattresses with full warranties
· Financing is available.
· An additional $50 from each mattress sale goes to your student’s account. Make sure your name is on the flyer and tell the buyer to bring it with them!
The only contribution we need to make is aggressively spread the word. It’s so easy!
Please distribute flyers and post yard signs. If you need more, they are in the band room on the table across from Mr. Moon’s office.
Get creative! And be sure to put your name on each flyer so you get credit for the sale.
· Tape them on the outside of your neighbor’s mailboxes
· Post them in your break room
· Put them on local restaurants or café bulletin boards
· Ask if you can post them in local establishments
· Hand them out at your next social or sporting event
· Text “Roswell” to 678-999-7272 and click on the return link; then re-text the message to your friends and family!
· Share our FB post with your Facebook friends.
Watch this video to learn more:
· 10/14 – NO SCHOOL
· 10/15 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 6:45 PM
· 10/17 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 10/18 - RHS vs. Lassiter (away) @ 6:00 PM
· 10/19 – Jeep Event / Dojo @ 9:00 AM
· 10/21 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 10/21 - RHSBBA Executive Board Meeting @ 7:00 PM
· 10/22 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 6:45 PM
· 10/23 – Deadline to order Spirit Wear
· 10/24 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 10/25 - Hall Band @ 7:30 AM
· 10/25 - RHS vs. Walton @ 6:00 PM
· 10/26 - Georgia State Marching Championships (GSU) @ 9:00 AM
· 10/28 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 10/29 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 6:45 PM
· 10/31 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 11/1 - RHS vs. Woodstock (away)@ 5:00 PM
· 11/2 - White Columns Invitational (Milton HS) @ 10:00 AM
· 11/7 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 11/8 - Hall Band @ 7:30 AM
· 11/8 - Senior Picnic @ 4:00 PM
· 11/8 - RHS vs. Etowah (Senior Night) @ 6:00 PM
· 11/14 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM*
· 11/15 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
· 11/18 - Fulton County Honor Band (Centennial HS)
· 11/19 - Fulton County Honor Band (Centennial HS)
· 11/20 - Concert Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 11/21 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00*
· 11/22 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
· 11/25 - Thanksgiving Break begins
· 12/4 - Concert Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 12/5 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM*
· 12/5 - Winter Concert @ 7:00 PM
· 12/6 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
· 12/12 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM*
· 12/13 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
· 12/14 - All State 1st Round Auditions/District Honor Band (Alpharetta HS)
· 12/23 - Holiday Break Begins
* for post-season football games