ACE Weekly Newsletter
May 8, 2016
Note from your Executive Director
Dear ACE Family,
We have much to celebrate! Best wishes for an enjoyable and productive week,
GRANTS OF UP TO $2,000 FOR INNOVATIVE TEACHING PROJECTS
Are you in need of funds for a special project in your school or classroom?
Grants for Innovative Teaching is a Signature Project of the Junior League of Dallas. Its purpose is to encourage and support excellence in teaching by awarding grants up to $2,000 to Dallas ISD teachers for special and innovative projects that otherwise would not be provided for in school budgets. Deadline is May 16th at 5pm.
ARTICLE FOR THE WEEK
Last Week's Article
Stamina, Effort, and Success
Mountain Ridge Middle School and Northridge Elementary School staff have worked hard to build students’ persistence, or “stamina,” in pursuing success in mathematics. This focus on effort and persistence is a key part of their school culture.
• Separating reports on student progress: work habits and content
• Setting a no failure culture
• Placing responsibility on students for seeking support they need
• Structuring explicit instruction and guided practice
• Peer learning
• The mind-body connection to build stamina
• Student-led parent conferences
• Addressing negative messages from parents about math ability
Click here for the full article.