What are they?
Organic compounds which are needed in small quantities to sustain life. They are essential for normal metabolism. Vitamins contain carbon and our bodies cannot produce enough vitamins on it's own.
How many vitamins should you take a day?
Each vitamin has a different daily value. It all depends what that specific vitamin does for your body and to keep you health.
- Biotin- 30 mcg
- Calcium- 1500 mg
- Choline- 550 mg for men, and 425 mg for women, too much is 3,500 mg
- Folic acid- 400 mcg, too much is 1,000 mcg
- Iron- 4 mg for men and 18 mg for women. Too much is 45 mg
Too little vitamins?
Results in fatigue, anemia, birth defects, heart problems, digestive problems, and nerve damage.
Too many vitamins?
Results in diarrea, nausea, stomach cramps, hair loss, fatigue, and mild nerve damage.
What foods to eat?
- Vitamin A- Sweet Potato 561% DV
- Vitamin B6- Chickpeas or garbanzo beans 55% DV
- Vitamin B12- Clams 1,042% DV
- Vitamin C- sweet red peppers 95 mg per serving
- Calcium- plain, low fat yogurt 42% DV
- Vitamin D- Swordfish 142% DV
- Vitamin E- sunflower seeds 37% DV
Vitamins can be found in all major food groups.
- If you don't eat 9-12 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, or if you eat canned, processed or other prepackaged meals, you probably need to have some kind of vitamin supplement.
- It is recommended to taking a multivitamin with a meal to minimize nausea, or heartburn that can happen if taken on an empty stomach.
- What is the best thing to drink when taking your multivitamin? Water, because polyphenols in tea, coffee or juice drinks may interfere with vitamin absorption.