The Elmwood Elementary Branch
Note from the Principal
Hello Elmwood Students and Families!
I hope you are all enjoying the snow day and getting outside to play 🛷⛄ Please note that this coming Monday is an early release day with dismissal at 2PM. Also, remember to set your clocks 1-hour ahead for Daylight Savings this Sunday.
Just a few reminders to help continue to make our school year smooth, safe and successful.
- Students should be dropped off between 8:15 AM and 8:25 AM to be on time for school and to ensure that an adult is outside to monitor them.
- Students may bring a lunch from home but there is no outside restaurant food allowed to be delivered and/or dropped off (i.e. McDonalds, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc.)
- Cell Phones and Smart Watches are to be in school mode and/or turned off and in the students' backpacks during the school day. These devices are a big distraction to learning.
Below please check out the newest section related to cell phone and technological safety. I have shared a link to apple and android family sharing information which will guide you through making your children's technology "safe" for them by allowing you to control the content they see, the time they use it and observe the messaging they send and receive.
The PTA section below has some new information to check out. They are looking for nominations for the upcoming school year, as well as volunteers for the end-of-the-year 5th grade celebration. 🥳
March is Reading month continues as our Superhero readers participate in various literacy activities to show and grow their love for reading. Please click here to view our calendar with our fun events. 🦸 Make sure to save the date (March 22nd) for our Celebrity Reader coming to Elmwood at 7PM.
This week 5th graders are visiting the High School to hear the different instruments that they can learn in Middle School. Please make sure to return the permission slip. 🎷🥁📯
This month we are focused on COOPERATION. Please check out the Character Strong section below to see the newest family letters and photos of our Good News Note Store. 😊
The LOST and FOUND is very full. We have hung the clothing for easy viewing. Please come look for your student's missing item(s). Items that have not been claimed by spring break will be donated.
Please note all students go outside for recess unless the temperature is below 20 degrees and/or it is raining. It is important that students are prepared with a coat, hat and gloves.
Mrs. Bowersox, Ed.S 💛💙
Character Strong & PBIS
The Good News Note Store
Ask your student(s) at home how they earn Good News Notes 🤩
Mrs. Baron's Class used the Character Trait of COOPERATION to purchase a classroom pizza party with their earned Good News Notes 💛💙
Cell Phone and Technological Safety
Family Link from Google - Family Safety & Parental Control Tools
With Family Link, you decide what's best for your family. Easy to use tools allow you to understand how your child is spending time on their device, share location, manage privacy settings, and more.* Find the screen time that works best for your child.
Lunch at School
Check out the attachment below to see the items on the a al carte menu and how it it works. Students will only be allowed to purchase 1 item a day from the a al carte menu.
Ask your students about the salad bar that houses fresh apples, sliced oranges, pears, carrots, broccoli, apple sauce, chunked cantaloupe and dried cherries 😋
After School Clubs
Just Around the Corner (4th & 5th Grade Girls) ✌️Last Chance March 16th✌️
Behavior Matrix and Handbook
Getting to School
Drop Off and Pick Up Reminders
- We want to encourage our students and families to cross California and the surrounding streets safely. It is important to use the crosswalks and crossing guards available.
- It helps the flow of traffic if your child is ready to exit the car.
- Parents should stay in the car, to keep the drop-off line moving!
- There is NO Parking, dropping and/or stopping in front of the school on California. When this is done it prevents the busses from traveling safely and it causes quite a jam. There are signs up and police will ticket persons who are there.
- The front loop is ONLY for Busses.
- Parents may use the West Parking Lot/Loop to Stop and Drop their student(s).
- There is NO Left Turn out of the West Parking Lot/Loop.
- Parents may park on Malvern on the East side of school and/or on Alice on the West side of the school to walk their student to their entry door.
Lastly, please be mindful of school hours and do not drop off your children prior to 8:15. At 8:15 there should be a staff member outside to supervise them. 💛💙
Absences and/or Late Arrivals
If your child will be absent or late, please contact the office to let us know. You can either call the attendance line @ (586-435-1150) or email Mrs. Baker. When leaving a message, please state the child's name, teacher's name, date of absence and reason for absence (i.e. child is ill with fever, cough, etc.)
Be sure to order a Hot Lunch if they will be late and need a lunch. Orders must be in by 8:50 AM Thank you!!
Elmwood PTA News
Please join us at the monthly PTA meetings. Meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7pm on a rotating schedule between Avalon and Elmwood.
The next PTA meeting will be on Tuesday, March 14th, 7PM at Elmwood. All are welcome!