Micro Elementary Parent Newsletter
May 7th, 2020
Message from Principal Parrish
Happy Spring Micro Families!
The last two months have been challenging. Our country, state, and community have all been affected greatly by Covid-19. I hope this newsletter finds you well. We are lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive community here at Micro Elementary. Thank you parents for celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week with our staff this week. The pictures and kind words have had an extremely positive impact on our staff. The video our staff made for our school community exemplifies how we will about you. The pictures you shared made our teacher appreciation video possible. I appreciate you being understanding of my amateur editing skills, too.
I would also like to offer a huge THANKS to the Micro PTA for sponsoring teacher appreciation yard signs for our staff members. They were a huge success. Thank you!
Micro Elementary will continue to provide learning opportunities for students until May 29th.
Please know if you have needs, concerns, or questions that we are here for you. We know that remote learning is not easy. We are ALL doing the best we can!
Feel free to reach out to me through email (email@example.com), Class Dojo Message, or call the school (919-588-4300).
Thank you for everything that you do to support our school,
Character Chant Challenge
Micro Elementary News
- The next materials distribution date will be held on May 18th. Parents can pick up offline learning materials for their children. If you need to checkout or exchange student Chromebooks, please contact Mr. Parrish directly.
- The closest JCPS Feeding sites to Micro are: NJMS and Pine Level Elementary. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 11:30-1:30. Children ages 0-18 are eligible.
- Micro Elementary has a special Google Site for our 2020-2021 Battle of the Books team.
- Schools may be closed for the remainder of the school year but remote learning continues until May 29th. Here is a link to the Micro Supplemental Learning Resources
- JCPS Interim Superintident, Dr. Ben Williams, sent out a letter on Friday to update parents on the district's current response to Covid-19. Click here
- Parent Input Form 2020-2021: Please use this form to provide input for the school to consider when placing your child in a homeroom for the '20-21 school year. Please complete it for each of your children (currently in grades K-4).
- Student Survey: Students in grades 3rd-5th will be emailed an end of year student survey. The questions gage your child's opinions in regards to items such as remote learning and their social/emotional learning needs at this time. The results of this survey will help us prepare for the Fall.
- 5th Grade Parents: Be on the lookout for information regarding North Johnston Middle School. They will be sending out information soon that will allow students to sign up for their enhancement classes.
- End of year Student Performance Feedback forms will be sent out digitally on June 10th. These will replace end of year traditional report cards for this year only.
- The enhancement team (Music, Art, PE, Media) is offering virtual meetings with students. Here are the dates/times/grades for our chats in the upcoming weeks.
4th/5th Grade - Tuesday, May 12th at 2:30
2nd/3rd Grade - Thursday, May 14th at 2:30
K/1st Grade - Monday, May 18th at 2:30
- Johnston County Emergency Services provides an excellent service with their JOCOAlerts notification system by providing critical time-sensitive information to the public during emergencies. Sign up here
- Email Mr. Parrish: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Number: 919-588-4300
- JCPS has activated a Call Center staffed with employees who will virtually answer incoming calls Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm. Call Toll Free at 855-527-6397 or 855-JCS-NEWS.
Important Spring Picture Information
Virtual Awards Information
End of Year Award Ceremonies and Celebrations will be recorded and shared via Facebook Live. We hope you are able to participate virtually at the following dates and times. We will be broadcasting live from the Micro Gym. We understand this is not ideal but it is the best way we can celebrate our children at this time.
May 26-1st (5:30 pm) and Kind. (6:45 pm)
May 27-2nd (5:30 pm) and 3rd (6:45 pm)
May 28-4th (5:30 pm) and 5th (7:00 pm)
Pickup and Dropoff Dates and Times
Micro Elementary is tentatively planning to host pickup and dropoff dates for our students. Students will be able to pick up their personal belongings, End of Year Awards, Purchased Yearbooks, and Class Pictures. Students will also be encouraged to return library books and Chromebooks.
Parents will need to plan to enter campus using the bus rider parking lot entrance and exit using Goldsboro Street. Staff will be on site from 8:00-5:00 pm. The current plan is to have the grade level staff members on site at the assigned times. This way students could have the opportunity to see their teachers and wave at them through the window, while practicing social distancing. However, we understand that the time frame will not work for everyone so parents can come at anytime on June 1st from 8:00-5:00 to pickup and dropoff items. For your convenience, we will host additional times on June 2nd.
1st Grade 10:15-11:15
2nd Grade 12:00-1:00
3rd Grade 1:15-2:15
4th Grade: 2:30-3:30
5th Grade: 3:45-4:45
June 2nd: Additional Pickup Opportunity All Grades: 9:00-11:00 and 5:00-6:00