The Hornet Buzz
December 2, 2022
In this Issue
- Winter Break Box Drive
- School Photos From Retake Day
- EHS Winter Warmth Gift Card Fundraiser
- Computer Science Week- Hour of Code
- Save the Date- Winter Ball 1/21/23
- Student Selections Coffee House Sign Up
- Rent Fall Musical
- Not Receiving Bus Cancellation Notifications?
- EJRP Program Options
- Parking Permits
- Important Dates
Winter Break Box Drive
EHS Winter Warmth Gift Card Fundraiser
Would you like to share a little warmth with families in need this winter season?
Essex High School is holding its fourth-annual gift card fundraiser to help support some of our families through the holidays and cold winter months ahead. We understand that these are trying times for everyone. If it is within your means, we hope you consider purchasing a gift card to donate to this fundraising effort.
Because this fundraiser is intended to support families through the holidays and long Vermont winter months, please consider donating a gift card from a store that offers a variety of goods - from clothing to food. Stores like Walmart and Target are preferred, but a card or gift certificate from any store is welcome and deeply appreciated.
Gift cards can be dropped off at the Essex High Safety Office (located just inside the front door of the main entrance) or can be mailed to Essex High School Main Office ATTN: Kristin Roy, 2 Educational Drive, Essex Junction, Vermont 05452 from now until the end of the school day on December 16, 2022.
Our EHS Student Assistance Program (SAP) Counselor will then confidentially coordinate assistance to EHS students and families in need.
Giving can make this winter brighter and more hopeful for all. We had an outpouring of support last year and donations totaled over $2,500 and helped over 30 EHS families over the course of the holidays and winter months. This year, our goal is to surpass the collection from our first year of fundraising, which was $3,200! Let’s work together to share the warmth this winter season!
We thank you so very much for considering your extended EHS families throughout the next few weeks!
Computer Science Week-Hour of Code
Between Dec. 5-11, students around the world will celebrate Computer Science Education Week by doing an Hour of Code at their school. It’s an opportunity for every child to learn how the technology around us works. The Hour of Code is a one-hour introduction to computer science, designed to demystify code and show that anybody can learn the basics.
Renee Langevin will be holding an Hour of Code Flex in the library on Dec. 6, 8, & 9. Students who complete a Code.org activity can enter their completion certificate into a drawing. Students must have their certificates to enter.
Student Coffee House Sign Up
Hello, it's Amelia again!
First off, I want to give a huge thank you to everyone who submitted songs for the coffeehouse! So far I've gotten 41 submissions, which is a lot! Since I have such a big list now, I am going to open up an opportunity now for students to sign up to perform! You may collaborate with other students if you'd like, and you can perform as many songs as you want as long as you are able to learn them all in time.
Please use this form to sign up to perform.
Please note that a few of the songs that were submitted have a few swear words that may need to be cut out and a few of them are instrumental only. I haven't had the opportunity to review all of them yet, but I will continue to update the survey to reflect which songs those are.
For those of you who are still interested in submitting songs, I'd like you to know that any new songs that are submitted during or after break are less likely to be considered for the coffeehouse because I'd like performers to be able to use the break to learn their songs. But you can still submit songs if you'd like me to include them in the final playlist that I will share with everyone.
I've also gotten word that the link for the song submission form is not working for some people. If you are having trouble, try this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfaG9YVsWp3epUILbfXy-6rCsYw4Y2EblIYKQG0ivrBLIzazg/viewform?usp=sf_link
Thanks to everyone for all their support!
Fall Musical Rent December 1-4th
Opening night was last night. Performances will continue through Friday, Dec. 2 and 3 at 7 pm, and Dec 4 at 2 pm in the Essex High School Auditorium.
Tickets can be purchased online through the EHS Theater Website here. Or tickets can be purchased at the door. $5 for students and $10 for general admission
*Dec 2 at 7 pm is an ASL-accessible performance. Subject material may be inappropriate for younger audiences.
Not Receiving Bus Cancellation Notifications?
If you have not received a recent email/phone call update from the school or District, please follow the steps below:
- Check your SPAM folder. Sometimes email providers will think that multiple emails from a specific email address are junk/spam.
- You can also try searching in your email for the following email address and see if anything comes up: email@example.com If you do find emails from this address have been marked as 'SPAM,' you should be able to update that and mark them as 'not SPAM.'
- If the phone calls alerting families about bus cancellations are showing up on your phone as 'Potential SPAM,' you can save that number as a contact in your phone and that should fix that.
If you are still having any issues, please reach out to EWSD Communications Coordinator Ben Dickie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Go here to apply!
Permits can be picked up in the main office after the application process is complete.
- Graduation: Will be held on Saturday, June 17th, 2023. *More information to follow as we get closer to June.
- Cap and gown ordering through Balfour can be found here. No payment is needed at this time, payment is due when you pick up your cap and gown. Links for cap and gown ordering can also be found on the EHS website, the Hornet Buzz newsletter (in the senior section), and our social media pages.
- Yearbook: Senior photo submission and senior quote deadline was Friday, November 18th. Please find that information on the EHS Website: Under the Activities tab, Yearbook Linked here.
- Free Senior photos are available for those who want them. Please contact Jesse Keefe in the AV studio located in the Library. For more information and to schedule a time, please email Jesse at email@example.com
Assistant Principal Grade Assignments
10th Grade: Lynn Kozloski
11th Grade: Gayle Botelho
12th Grade: Jeff Goodrich
EHS Events Calendar and Website
-Essex High School Website: Check here for announcements and important information about our school, handbooks, daily schedules, and staff directory.