DOs and DON’Ts
What is Virtual Netiquette? The manners that you present while using the Internet.
- Do unto others as you would have them do to you
- Be courteous in all online and email communication
- Ask yourself, "Would you say it to that person's face?"
- Think before you hit send - Your message could be shared with everyone
- Remember your words are never erased. They will always be 'out there'.
- Include a signature block in your emails
- Keep it short - Readers usually only read the first part of the message.
- Ask for permission before including someone in a Newsletter email list
- Be ethical
- Use good grammar & spelling
- DON'T break the law
- DON'T use offensive language
- DON'T use humor and sarcasm - It is difficult for others to know you are joking
- DON'T use all CAPS - It is considered to be shouting
- DON'T visit a web page without making sure it's safe
- DON'T be confrontational - It could lead to an argument
- DON'T forward spam, jokes or chain letters
- DON’T push the send button in a communication when you’re angry or upset - You'll probably feel different about it in the morning
- DON’T send an email with “no subject” listed