SUMMER 2018 OPPORTUNITIES
PAID SUMMER EXTERNSHIPS
COMMUNITY FOOD BANK
CULINARY NUTRITION ASSISTANCE
Nutrition Research Assistant
UANN Summer Volunteer Training
PAID LAS MILPITAS COMMUNITY FARM INTERNSHIP
UA undergraduate students with an interest in community sustainability are matched with projects across all 15 Arizona counties. Students work 35 hours a week for 10 weeks during the summer, from mid-May – August, alongside local UA Cooperative Extension faculty and staff. Projects change every year based on county needs; the six 2018 projects include:
- Local Food and Beyond - Growing the Connections in Graham County: Safford, Graham County Extension
- Tucson Village Farm Seed to Table Program (4 positions): Tucson, Pima County Extension
- Local Farmers Markets and Community Gardens, technical assistance and programming: Tucson, Pima County
- Kitchen Garden: Flagstaff, Coconino County Extension
- Yavapai Farm and Food Education: Prescott, Yavapai County Extension
- Water Wise: Sierra Vista, Cochise County Extension
COMMUNITY FOOD BANK
Dear NSC Students,
My name is Moira O’Neill and I coordinate the Abundant Harvest Cooperative at the Community Food Bank. The cooperative enables backyard gardeners and small farmers to sell their food at a shared table at our weekly farmers’ markets. This summer we are looking for an intern to assist us with the various components involved in running the cooperative. Please see send questions to Moira O’Neill.
Thank you for your time.
Community Foods Coordinator
Community Food Bank
of Southern Arizona
Culinary Nutrition Assistance - Work with an RDN!
I have opportunities over the next few months for students interested in culinary nutrition food prep and event experience. If you know a student who may be interested, here’s a sample of May activities:
- 5/8: Vinegar cooking demo & tasting workshop: 5:45-8:00 (prep and assisting during event)
- 5/25: Veggie Tarts (Friday night cooking party class) (prep and assisting during event)
- 5/10 or 5/11: Catering prep for 50 people (prep work)
- 5/16: Facebook Live Cooking Show w/ a guest: 11:30-1:30 (food prep before & camera assist during show)
- 5/23: Facebook Live Cooking Show w/ a guest: 11:30-1:30 (food prep before & camera assist during show)
- 5/29 and/or 5/30: Catering 30-40 people for an event with a candidate running for attorney general (food prep)
I can be reached at email@example.com for any students interested in learning more.
Michele Redmond, MS, RDN
Chef Dietitian and Food Enjoyment Activist
It’s about Making Food First
Nutrition Research Assistant
- Interviewing respondents for 24 hour recalls
- Conducting patient reported outcomes surveys
- Scanning and coding behavioral measurement data
- Data entry of behavioral data
- Misc. administrative tasks as needed
- Computer and phone skills
- Basic knowledge of nutrition
- Must work at least 12 scheduled hours per week
- Ability to work at our off campus office located at 3950 S. Country Club Rd.
- Nutritional Science Major/Minor
- Spanish language skills
- Summer availability
- Sophomore or Junior standing
- Work study eligible
Please apply via Handshake. Job posting ID is #1518703
UA Nutrition Network Summer Volunteer Training
Every summer the UA Nutrition Network extends its service to the KIDCO program via Parks & Recreation which follows a camp-style approach. This is a fun and engaging opportunity to work with elementary-aged students and a great way to collaborate with peers.
The UANN will also be supporting Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) efforts this year and we hope to get your support. The activities and events around the SFSP efforts will be scheduled more sporadically throughout the months of June, July and some early parts of August. Further details will be provided soon.
In general, we will need volunteer support weekly between the hours of 9:00am through 11:00am and 1:00pm through 4:00pm.
Training and Orientation for this opportunity will be held on:
Thursday, May 17th from 4:00-6:00pm in Shantz Building Room 159.
If you are interested to volunteer with the UA Nutrition Network this summer, please RSVP to TrishaBautista@email.arizona.edu . For any questions and concerns, you may also reach me at 520-626-4920.
Paid Internship - Las Milpitas Community Farm
Are you interested in teaching others how to garden in the desert? Would you like to connect and empower community through food?
Apply for an internship to work at Las Milpitas through AmeriCorps Arizona Serve!
Our internship position is part-time, based at Las Milpitas Community Farm and supports our program. Activities include: leading volunteer work day activities, supporting community gardeners, teaching workshops, completing farm chores and more! The position runs from Aug. 2018-Aug. 2019. Compensations include a small, monthly stipend and scholarship money at the end of the internship to apply towards higher education opportunities or student loans.