Ms. Kilar's Class News
Friday, April 29, 2016
- Reading: This week we read a non-fiction story about the giant Sequoia trees. We reviewed how graphic features add meaning to the text. We also spent time reviewing practice questions for the M-Step.
- Writing: Our focus this week was on taking notes for our biography report. There is a note in the Friday folder with more information about the biography report. Please email or call if you have any questions. *Please be sure to read the note in the Friday folder about Night at the Museum.
- Grammar: We reviewed correct end punctuation and punctuating dialogue.
We had such a wonderful presentation thanks to our local bookstore Between the Covers! Author of "13-Story Treehouse" series Andy Griffiths came to Harbor Springs to speak to our elementary students! He was very funny and got the students motivated about reading.
This week students learned how to rename a mixed number (3 1/2) as a fraction and rename an improper fraction (7/2) as a mixed number. They also learned how to add and subtract mixed numbers.
Science and Social Studies
- Science: We wrapped up our unit on waves and information. We learned about how patterns can be used to send messages. Students worked in a small group to design and test a digital device to send words using Morse code and pictures using 1s and 0s. They were very creative with this investigation.
- Social Studies: We finished talking about the three branches of government. We also learned and read about the Harbor Point Lighthouse, which we'll be visiting on Tuesday, May 3.
M-Step Testing and Ipads
All iPads and chargers need to be returned to school on Friday, May 5. We start testing the following week and I want to be sure all iPads are charged and ready to rock! iPads will only come home a few nights after that to work on the biography project.
- May 3 -- Field trip to Harbor Point Lighthouse in the afternoon (1pm-2:30pm)
- May 9 - M-Step testing begins for 4th grade
- May 10 - M-Step
- May 17 - M-Step
- May 18 - M-Step
- May 19 - M-Step
- May 18-Night at the Museum
- June 2 - Field trip to Tahquamenon Falls and Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum (Returning around 6:30)
- June 9 - Sleeping Bear Dunes (we will be returning around 6:30pm)
- If you'd like to send in a treat for the kids on one of the M-Step testing dates please let me know. I know they would appreciate a treat for their hard work and concentration.
- If you know you'd like to help chaperone one of our June field trips please let me know.
- Monday - Art
- Tuesday - Library
- Wednesday - Gym
- Thursday -Music/Library
- Friday - Art
- Spelling - Spelling list and spelling homework. The spelling list is also updated on Spelling City for the students to practice.
- Math - Worksheet
- Reading - Cause and effect story and graphic organizer