News from Room 15
December 7-December 22, 2015
The students really enjoyed our space unit! I think a favorite was making the astronaut helmets and painting planets. For the next few weeks we will be learning about winter holidays - Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa. Some activities in the unit include vocabulary games, art projects for each holiday, singing Christmas carols, and sharing holiday traditions. We will end our unit with a Winter Party!
- If your child receives progress notes for an IEP, those updates will be coming home after the break.
Have a great week!
~ Ms. Jackie, Mrs. Joyce, and Mrs. Ingle
Theme and Stories We Will Share
Christmas Is... by Gail Gibbons
Merry Christmas Mom & Dad by Mercer Mayer
Snowmen at Christmas by Carolyn Buehner
Clifford Celebrates Hanukkah by Norman Bridwell
My First Kwanzaa by Karen Katz
Three Bears Christmas by Kathy Duval
Little Critter's Night Before Christmas by Mercer Mayer
We will know the name and sound for the letters Gg and Ss. (literacy)
We will be able to write the letters Gg and Ss. (literacy)
We will be able to segment the sounds in a word. (literacy)
We will know parts of a book and concepts of print. (literacy)
We will be able to retell and sequence a story. (literacy)
We will know the letters in our name and be able to write our names. (literacy)
We will know the numbers 1-5. (math)
We will be able to count items up to 5 and rote count to 5. (math)
We will understand what it means to be a Super Friend. (PBS)
We will understand how to be safe, kind, and responsible at school. (PBS)
We will know vocabulary related to winter holidays.
We will understand that different holidays are celebrated by people in December.
Activities for Home
- Practice counting items up to five and recognizing numerals 1-5 in print.
- Watch for holiday related items on TV or in books. Ask your student to tell you something about the item. For example - what do you do with it, what does it look like, etc.
- Ask your student to tell you the parts of a book when reading - front cover, back cover, and spine.
- November 30th - December 11th - Hats and Mitten Drive for Salvation Army
- December 7th-11th - Duckling Days - wear duckling shirts or blue and yellow
- December 18th - Winter Party
- Tuesday, December 22nd - NO PM Classes - Records Day for teachers
- December 23rd-January 5th - NO School - Christmas Break
- Wednesday, January 6th - Classes Resume
- Wednesday, January 6th - Parent Meeting for Child Center Presentaions
- January 11th-15th - Duckling Days - wear duckling shirts or blue and yellow
- January 14th & 15th - Child Center Presentations Part 1
- January 18th - NO School - MLK, Jr Day
- January 21st & 22nd - Child Center Presentations Part 2
December 11-13: Liam S.
December 18-20: Emma S.
January 8-10: Drew W.
January 22-24: Brayden S.