Mrs. Nelson's 1st Grade News!
Week of March 28th
Our school wide field trip is on Friday! If you have signed up to be a chaperone, and have not responded to my e-mail confirming you are indeed coming, please do so as soon as possible. I am making the groups for Friday! :)
Please see below for general reminders and important notes for this week!
Popping Nouns and Verbs!
Important Notes For This Week!
- There WILL be HOMEWORK this week! This was sent home with your child today. The reading/math homework will be due on Friday.
- There will NOT be spelling words or a spelling test this week!
- As always, students are expected to obtain their 100 minutes per week of reading. Please keep track of this on your child's behavior sheet nightly. Remember, you can put minutes from the weekend on the "Friday' spot.
-Field Trip: We are going to the zoo this Friday! If you checked that your child would be bringing a lunch from home, please do not forget this on Friday!
- Please sign your child's take home folder nightly (the reading log and behavior sheet are now combined) and take out any papers that need to stay at home.
-"Graded Work"- Please look through your child's folder nightly and discuss any work that does come home. If you notice that your child is having trouble with a specific area, please take this opportunity to discuss the work with them to have another chance to practice. :)
- If you notice any work that is marked, "please sign and return",or "correct at home"; please be sure to look at those and return them to school. :)
- Unfinished work- you may notice that your child brings home papers daily that look unfinished. If it is not marked on by me, it is likely work that is complete during our "intervention" time while they were at centers. This was not work that I graded. This is just in case you were wondering. :)
- Baggy Books: If you notice that your child is bringing the same book home each night, or picking books that area below their level (marked on their baggy); please remind them it is their responsibility to change their books every morning. I remind them daily, but this is their task. :)
- We go to the library on our normal day this week, Tuesday! Please help your child remember to bring their book back!
What Are We Learning?
- identifying and reading high frequency words
- decoding words (we call this Chunky Monkey)
- forming letters (handwriting)
- writing legibly
- matching sounds to letters
- writing- at least 5 complete sentences (beginning, 3 details, ending)
- story comprehension, story structure, and retelling a story (beginning, middle, and end), summarizing, main idea, author's purpose, retelling, and plot! We are also talking about making predictions and drawing conclusions! This week we are really focusing on story elements; setting, characters, plot, problem, and solution.
- parts of speech; nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs!
- sentence punctuation and capitalization
- We are really starting to "chunk" words we don't know in order to help us sound them out. This basically means we look for parts we know; word families, blends, diagraphs, etc. This is the "chunky money" strategy!
-word families: "ope" and "ose"
- review of special sound rules (focus on ("u" sound oo)
- We are starting to take a deeper look into TIME! :) We will practice telling time to the hour and the half hour using both analog and digital clocks.
- We will be looking and plants and identifying the different parts. :)
None this week!