April 15, 2022
It is that time of year when we look to you for feedback on our school and the district. The more survey information we receive the more we can improve!
Parent Perception Survey - The district would like you to take Fulton County Schools’ Annual Parent Perception Survey about your student’s school and the district. Your answers to this survey will help the district identify strengths and areas for improvement. The survey is anonymous and confidential and should take about 25 minutes to complete. The survey will be open through Friday, April 22.
Also, another reminder about the upcoming Georgia Milestones Assessments. Participation will be critical. With the absence of significant testing data from the last two years, this year’s scores will be used to establish a new baseline for the schools and districts. The results will be used for College and Career Ready Performance Index (CCRPI). High School students will be tested in the areas of (American Literature and Composition, Algebra I, Biology and U.S. History) April 25th-29th. More specific information can be found later in this newsletter.
All the best,
Dr. Mike Todd
April is Child Abuse Prevention and Awareness Month
Greetings Chattahoochee family, it’s Child Abuse Awareness and Prevention Month and I'm Alicia McClung, the School Social Worker. I want to take the time out to share some resources with our school community on how to grow better together. Protective factors are strengths within a family and community which help develop and promote health and well-being among families. The five protective factors are parental resilience, social connections, concrete support in the times of need, knowledge of parenting and child development, and social and emotional competence of children. Parenting is the hardest job ever! We all need support and encouragement for the journey of raising healthy kids. This link provides tip sheets of discussion starters that can be used to explore ways to better engage with your family.
When we embrace and foster these protective factors, it provides a solid foundation of growth and positive relationship building. If at any time you have questions or want to explore additional support, feel free to reach out to me at 470-254-7557 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advanced Placement Exams
AP Exams will run from Monday May 2nd through Friday May 13th, 2022.
- For morning exams, students must report by 7:30am at the latest. Note that this means that students will need transportation in the morning earlier than the morning school bus runs.
- For afternoon exams, students must report by 11:30am at the latest. Note that this means that students will need transportation in the afternoon later than the afternoon school bus runs.
- CollegeBoard charges fees for any late changes and for any unused exams – failure to report will result in a $40 fine per exam added to the students FCS account
- Reach out to our AP Coordinator, Mr. Abelkop at email@example.com if you have any questions.
AP Late Change Fees
If your student dropped an Advanced Placement course for second semester (or changed their AP exam order after November 12, 2021) – the CollegeBoard charges a $40 AP Exam Late Change Fee that students/families must pay. To do so, please visit the payment/OSP link HERE. If unpaid by April 11, fines will be entered onto the student’s account in Infinite Campus which would impact a student’s ability to receive graduation tickets, diploma, and have final transcript sent until the fine is paid. Any student who fails to report for their AP exam will be charged $40 for an “unused” exam fee. Questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Abelkop at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EOC Testing Schedule
- Monday, April 25 - American Literature Part I
- Tuesday, April 26 - American Literature Part II & III
- Wednesday, April 27 - Biology
- Thursday, April 28 - US History
- Friday, April 29 - Algebra I
All students taking an EOC should visit
http://www.gaexperienceonline.com to become familiar with the platform.
The graphic below will provide information on Student Device Testing Readiness.
9th-11th Grade Final Exams - Spring 2022
Student Parking for 2022-2023 School Year
Parking information (and applications) for the 2022-2023 school year are now available on the Chattahoochee website HERE. Please keep in mind that student discipline & student attendance impact student eligibility to be approved for a parking permit – more detailed information is available on the website.
Summer School Information
Registration is open for both face-to-face Summer School at Johns Creek HS as well as Fulton Virtual and GA Virtual! Parents/guardians should check their student’s transcript on Infinite Campus under the Documents tab to see which courses need to be retaken, both from prior years and this current school year – check your student’s total # of earned credits as well. Please keep in mind that not every course is offered in the Summer. Directions to register and additional information for each option is below. After June 3rd, please contact Johns Creek HS with any Summer School questions.
As a reminder, students must have earned the following # of credits by August 1, 2022 to be listed in each grade:
- 10th grade – must have earned 5.0 credits
- 11th grade – must have earned 11.0 credits
- 12th grade – must have earned 17.0 credits
Face-to-face Summer School at Johns Creek High School - June 8th – July 8th
- Regular registration closes on May 26th
- Late registration for classes that still have availability will be in person at Johns Creek HS on June 6th and 7th
- To register, go to https://www.fultonschools.org/Page/18470 and click on the link on the right side under Summer Learning Registration
*NO tuition required for students retaking a course they previously failed*
- Abbreviated transportation is available. Please check the Summer School website above closer to the start date for specific stop and time information for your student.
- Students who require Special Education transportation per their IEP must register by April 27th to ensure their route is in place for the first day of Summer School.
Fulton Virtual - June 1st – July 13th
- To register, go to www.fultonschools.org and click on the ClassLink icon in the green bar
- Login to ClassLink (Username and Password are the student’s credentials they use to log into their school device and email)
- Click on the Genius – Fulton Virtual icon
- Students are permitted to take up to 2.0 total credits in the Summer – however, we do not recommend students take more than 1.0 credit on Fulton Virtual due to the amount of time they are expected to spend on their classes each day.
- Required for students taking a course for the first time
- $225 per 0.5 credit/semester course, $450 per 1.0 credit/year-long course
- Students approved for free or reduced-cost lunch: $180 per 0.5 credit/semester course, $360 per 1.0 credit/year-long course
*NO tuition required for students retaking a course they previously failed*
- Students must meet the completion benchmarks below to stay enrolled in their Fulton Virtual courses. If they do not meet the benchmarks, they will be administratively dropped by FVS and will not receive a refund of tuition.
- 33% complete by June 15th at 11:59 pm
- 50% complete by June 22nd at 11:59 pm
- 66% complete by June 29th at 11:59 pm
GA Virtual – June 6th – July 14th
- Opens March 15th at www.gavirtualschool.org
- Courses offered - https://www.gavirtualschool.org/Course-Info/Summer-2022-Courses
- Students must first create an account at https://gavs.geniussis.com/PublicWelcome.aspx to register for their classes
- Do not create a new/duplicate account if you have trouble logging in to an existing account! Students should submit a GAVS helpdesk ticket or email Nikki Walker at Nicole.Walker@gavirtualschool.org for assistance with accessing existing accounts.
- Be sure to indicate the correct selections for the following fields – any other selections you make will send the course requests to another high school!
- Out of State = No
- Program = GAVS
- County of Residence = Fulton
- Student Type = Public
- District = Fulton County
- School = Chattahoochee High School
- Course requests will be processed by the school counselors each Friday, so please be patient.
- $250 per 0.5 credit/semester course, $500 per 1.0 credit/year-long course for all students
Upcoming Events & Senior Reminders
4/20 - Counseling Seminar #4 - Career Exploration at 5pm (Teams Link: https://bit.ly/SeminarApr20)
5/11 - Counseling Seminar #5 - Q&A with Counselors at 5pm (Teams Link: https://bit.ly/SeminarMay11)
Class of 2022 – Reminders about Senior Exit Survey and Graduation Tasks
- ALL Seniors:
- Must complete the Senior Exit Survey – if this is not done, you will not receive your graduation tickets at practice!
- Must complete the Name Pronunciation for Graduation – if you upload an audio recording of you pronouncing your name, please record it in a quiet area, as background noise makes it difficult to hear.
- Students planning on attending college next year:
- Must indicate in the Senior Exit Survey the college they are attending
- Must submit their final transcript request! If you haven’t yet decided where you are attending, please submit a final transcript request for any colleges you are still considering. We cannot send a final transcript without a request.
- Upload proof of all college acceptance letters – not just the college you are attending
- If you have been admitted to colleges that you’ve decided you are not going to attend, please let them know ASAP. If you haven’t yet notified them, you could be taking a spot from a student who wants to be admitted off the waitlist!
- Students planning on taking a gap year, working, enlisting in the military, etc. are not expected to upload proof of college acceptances
The Powerpoint from the Senior Meeting held on April 15th is below.
Seniors - A Note from the Cafe
When you return from Spring Break, please see any cashier for a Refund Request form if you’d like to have your Café balance mailed to your home. Your parent or guardian will need to complete the form and fax or mail it to our Nutrition Office in Atlanta. (Instructions are printed on the form). The Café does not have enough cash to process refunds. If you have a younger sibling currently attending Chattahoochee and would like to transfer the balance to that sibling, your parent or guardian should email the Café Manager, Anne Prianti at email@example.com to transfer any or all of the balance. For transfers between siblings who attend different schools, please email the balance transfer request to Susana Meliawati in the Nutrition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
PTSA Senior Gold Envelopes
The CHS Senior Events Committee is sponsoring Senior Gold Envelopes for all graduating seniors. This tradition is a special opportunity to honor our 2022 graduates with personalized notes or cards to commemorate this big event in their lives. We invite you, other family members, friends, VIPs and members of the CHS faculty to write notes of congratulations to your son or daughter. We will distribute them at the graduation rehearsal. Every senior will be presented with a large Gold Envelope containing collected messages as well as community giveaways. The notes and cards will be kept confidential until graduation.
Please see the attached information for all the details.
Girls Soccer in 2nd round of GHSA playoffs
Boys Tennis playing at Dalton in 1st round of GHSA playoffs
Girls Tennis playing Rome in 1st round of GHSA playoffs
Administrators and Department Chairs
Jonathan Adel - ELA and Fine Arts
David White; ELA; Whitedp@fultonschools.org
Lori Buonamici; Fine Arts; BuonamiciL@fultonschools.org
Garrett Abelkop - Math, PE, World Language, and TAG
Beth Smith; Math; Smithec@fultonschools.org
J.J. Hicks; PE; Hicksj@fultonschools.org
Nadia Ali; World Language; Aliahmady@fultonschools.org
Amanda Wile; TAG; Wile@fultonschools.org
Gwen Harris - Science and CTAE
Matt Mihordea; Science; Mihordea@fultonschools.org
Kylie Dayton; CTAE; Daytonk@fultonschools.org
Ingrid Parham - Social Studies and IRR
Tim Reeder; Social Studies; Reedert@fultonschools.org
Jeanne Dongieux; IRR; Dongieux@fultonschools.org