November 8, 2020
Harding Middle School Mission, Vision, and District WIG
Mission: Harding exists to ensure a safe space in which each student is afforded unique opportunities to learn and grow.
Vision: Harding will become an innovative school that empowers each student to be academically, socially, and emotionally prepared for life.
WIG: Black/AA males will meet or exceed other categories of students in all measures in 2 years.
Nuts and Bolts
School Board Meeting
- Due to conditions in Polk County regarding COVID-19, a Board Mtg has been scheduled for Sunday, November 8th at 5pm where Dr. Ahart will make the following recommendation to the Board:
Approve application to the DE for a waiver to resume remote instruction;
Suspend the start of the high school hybrid instructional model (students will transition to Term 2 classes as scheduled, but stay remote), and
Return preK, elementary and middle schools to remote instruction on Monday, November 16.
Start of 2nd Quarter
- The last day of term 1 is Monday, November 9. Grades will be finalized on Infinite Campus by Friday, November 20. Students are encouraged to continue to work with their teachers and submit work to improve grades. Please check grades online as report cards will not be sent home until the end of the semester. If you have questions about grades, please communicate with your child's teacher via School CNXT or email. If you need help accessing grades on Infinite Campus, please reach out to Jenny Rink by calling 515.242.8445.
- Most classes for students will be remaining the same for 2nd term. The classes that may change are Extended Core classes (Music, Health, Art, or Business/Technology).
- Please be aware that students that have switched cohorts may repeat the class they had in 1st term in order to keep student groups together throughout the day.
- Thank you to the support parents have given for Harding staff over the first term of school. Whether we are teaching in person or virtually, the Harding staff is committed to providing a high quality education for each of our 816 students. We appreciate the help you have provided to keep staff and students safe. Please continue to remind your children to wear masks at all times while in the building, wash hands or use hand sanitizer frequently, and maintain a safe distance from others.
- Please know that the Harding Administration is available if you have questions or concerns. Use the link at the bottom of the page to set up a meeting with one of the administrators if needed.
District Interim Assessments
District Interim Assessments: DMPS is replacing the MAP Growth assessment with the new district interim assessments that directly align to EL and Illustrative Math curriculums used at Harding Middle School. All 6th-8th grade students will take this assessment the week of November 16th-November 23rd. It is essential that your student take this assessment as it measures their ability to achieve at grade-level. Please talk to your student about the importance of getting a good night's sleep and a well-balanced breakfast before and trying their hardest on this test. If you have questions regarding this assessment contact Shannon Camodeca at email@example.com or (515) 242-8445.
Sunday, November 8
- School Board meeting - link
Monday, November 9
- Last day of 1st term
Tuesday, November 10
- 1st day of 2nd term (new schedules handed out in advisory)
Wednesday, November 11
- Veteran's Day
- M/T Cohort
- Fire Drill @1:20
Wednesday, November 18
- Th/F cohort