St. Bede School
October 22, 2021
Dear St. Bede School Families
Next week St. Bede School will participate in Red Ribbon Week. Red Ribbon Week is celebrated annually from October 23-31 and is the country's oldest and largest drug prevention awareness program. It began as a tribute to fallen DEA special agent Enrique Camerena in 1985.
Enrique "Kiki" Camarena was a Drug Enforcement Administration Agent who was tortured and killed in Mexico in 1985. In honor of Kiki's memory and his battle against illegal drugs, friends and neighbors began to wear red badges of satin. Parents then began to form coalitions using Camarena as their model while embracing his belief that one person can make a difference. These coalitions adopted the symbol of Camarena's memory, the Red Ribbon. Today, the Red Ribbon serves as a catalyst to mobilize communities to educate youth and encourage participation in drug prevention activities. (www.redribbon.org accessed 21 October 2021)
We have many activities planned for our St. Bede School Red Ribbon Week:
Monday, October 25th
- Students will sign pledge sheets in classrooms to be drug-free.
- Each class will place a Red Ribbon on the doors around the school.
- We are CRAZY about Being Drug-Free - Crazy Sock Day: Students can wear their crazy, wild socks with their school uniform.
Tuesday, October 26th
- Classes will create Drug-Free Looks Like Me posters.
- Your Future is Key, so be Drug-Free - Students can wear their Favorite College/High School sweatshirt or shirt with their school uniform.
Wednesday, October 27th
- Classes can choose to decorate doors or hallways with red ribbon art or theme. There will be no door decorating contest this year.
- Team Up for Safe Choices - Sports Team Dress-Up Day. Students are allowed to wear a sport's team shirt with their school uniform.
Thursday, October 28th
- We are RED-y to Make Smart Choices -Wear Red Dress-Up Day: Students can wear red to school with their school uniform.
Friday, October 29th
- Drugs Are Scary - Orange and Black Dress-Up Day: Students can wear orange and black to school. Orange and Black Dress-Up Day is an out-of-uniform day. We have Mass today, so please wear appropriate clothing.
St. Bede School is also having a canned food drive during Red Ribbon Week. Our goal is for all of our students to bring in one can of food for the needy.
It is our pleasure to announce that the dates are set for Confirmation 2022 for our students in St. Bede School and Our Lake of the Lakes Parish Religious Education program. The Confirmation day, times, and locations are:
- Saturday, April 23, 2022, @ 10:00 am in St. Bede Church, Ingleside, or
- Saturday, April 23, 2022, @ 1:00 pm in St. Peter Church, Antioch
Bishop Jeffrey Grob, our Vicariate Bishop, will celebrate the Masses.
Each year Our Lady of The Lakes Parish holds an Enrollment Mass where students sign an Enrollment Promise indicating that they are ready and willing to prepare for Confirmation. They will sign those in their classes and should bring them with them on Enrollment Sunday as a symbol presented to the Church of their readiness. They will also sign in the Book of Elect in their classroom that is kept in the Church archives.
All Confirmation Students and their families should attend one of the Confirmation Enrollment Masses. The Confirmation Enrollment Masses are:
- Saturday, October 24, 2021, @ 4:00 pm in St. Peter Church, Antioch, or
- Sunday, October 24, 2021, @ 11:00 am in St. Bede Church, Ingleside
More information will be forthcoming about Confirmation requirements. These include the Letter to the Bishop, Saint Selection, Confirmation Retreat, Confirmation Gown Ordering, and Mass selection.
Make sure you check your family e-mail often so you don’t miss these announcements.
We are currently testing a program called LanSchool Air. LanSchool Air is a cloud-based classroom management tool for Chromebooks. It allows teachers to see what is on the screen of every student in their classroom. They can see the active tab the student is currently looking at, as well as any other open tabs in the browser.
Limit web availability: This helps students focus on their work by limiting online access to approved websites and disabling internet access during tests and quizzes.
Screen monitoring: Teachers can quickly view every students' monitor — or switch to view individual students' screens.
Messaging: Receive students’ questions and chat one-on-one — or send a message out individually or to the entire class.
Push websites: Instantly launch the same website on every classroom device to ensure students are always on task, focused, and ready to learn, helping save valuable class time.
Snapshot: Quickly take screenshots to showcase exceptional student work in the classroom and share their progress during parent-teacher conferences.
Battery status: Track the battery status of every student device, reducing classroom disruption and inconvenient shutdowns during quizzes, assessments, and other digital classroom activities.
We have had several calendar changes:
- Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held virtually instead of in person. Conferences are on Tuesday, November 23, from 12:00 - 7:00 pm.
- There is no afternoon Extended Day Program (EDP) the afternoon of Tuesday, November 23 due to Parent-Teacher Conferences. There will be morning EDP on Tuesday, November 23. Please plan accordingly.
- The Music Education Services Band Concert is scheduled for Monday, December 13 at 6:30 pm.
- Our St. Bede School Christmas Concert has been moved to Thursday, December 16 at 6:30 pm.
Book Fair - October 25-29!
The Book Fair will be held October 25-29. Below is the schedule for Preview and shop times for each grade level. We still need several volunteers for each of the days of the book fair. Please
consider helping out! Here is the link to sign up to volunteer: https://signup.com/go/LXEHTry
St. Bede Book Fair Schedule
Thank you to everyone who ordered from our Charleston Wrap Fundraiser! We raised $1,713.00 for the school! Even though the fundraiser is over, there is still time to order if you didn’t have time to do so already! St. Bede will still receive 40% profit for orders through December 3rd. See the attached flyer for the ordering code. Thank you for supporting our school!
Box Tops for Education
Remember to get your Box Tops in! You can turn in paper Box Tops to the school by October 27th. We have raised $55.40 so far in the digital box tops app. Our goal is to raise $600.00 for the year for the school! We are currently working on doing an all-school competition. If we can meet our goal of $600.00, we are planning on a special treat for the students at the end of the school year.
Parent Association News
Our next PA meeting will be on November 10th at 6:30 pm in the library. All are welcome to attend!
We are looking for volunteers that can shadow the Fun Fair on February 3 and 4th during Catholic Schools Week. This is the last year for our current volunteers to run this event so they are looking for people to shadow the event this year and take it over next year. Contact Anne Vauk for more details. She can be reached via phone or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: 815-451-4239
The PA Board will have 5 open positions for the next school year. We will be sending out more
information about the positions soon. Please consider being a part of the board! It is a very fun and rewarding position to help be a part of such a great school and community! If you have any
questions, please contact Nikki Brooks at email@example.com
We Need Your Help!
We are still in need of committee members for the following events:
- Picnic Planning
- Playground Planning
- Daddy-Daughter Dance
- Teacher Appreciation
- Golf Outing 2022
- St. Bede Wine Night
Contact Nikki Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested, or for more details. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Congratulations to our 6th Grade Girls' Volleyball Team!
Congratulations to our 6th-grade girls' volleyball team for their 1st Place finish in the Prince of Peace VolleyBoo Tournament! We’re so proud of you!!
A special thank you to our fantastic coaches Mark Ikusz and Sheila Williamson for all you have done for the team this year. We’re so grateful to you!
7th & 8th Grade Girls' Volleyball
Congratulations to our 7/8th Grade Girls Volleyball team on an UNDEFEATED 9-0 Northern Illinois Catholic Conference (NICC) Season!
This accomplishment earns them a team banner to be proudly displayed on our gym wall for years to come.
Thank you to our incredible coaches Nathan Tews and Carly Yanecek for everything you have taught the girls and for all of the time and effort you dedicated to this team. We're so fortunate to have you!
On to the Conference Tournament next week! Our first game will be at St. Bede on Monday, October 25, at 7:00 pm. Best of luck, St. Bede! Go Falcons!
Cross Country Finishes Strong!
Congratulations to our St. Bede School Cross Country Team for finishing strong at the NICC Championship last week! Our entire team ran the 2-mile Varsity course in order to max out our scoring potential.
Our Varsity Girls finished 5th out of 10 schools, which is fantastic considering we only had 4 girls running!
- Addison finished 10th out of 38 girls with a time of 15:31.
- Gemma finished 23rd with a time of 17:45.
- Lilianna finished 32nd with a time of 20:07.
- Gianna finished 33rd with a time of 20:28
Our Varsity Boys finished 4th out of 9 schools, and we had a 1st PLACE FINISHER!
Zach C. finished 1st overall out of 56 boys with a time of 12:04, which was 20 seconds faster than the 2nd place time. In honor of this tremendous feat, he will have his name printed on a banner that will be displayed in our gym!
- Zach B. finished 22nd with a time of 15:10.
- Dylan finished 24th with a time of 15:21.
- Ryan finished 28th with a time of 15:37.
- Bryant finished 39th with a time of 17:29.
- Gael finished 41st with a time of 17:47.
- Liam finished 43rd with a time of 17:58.
- Quinn finished 54th with a time of 21:21.
- Kevin finished 55th with a time of 21:51.
We're so very proud of you for the time that you put in each week at practice and for your strong finish!
Thank you to our fabulous coach, Matthew Shannon, for sharing your time and talent. We appreciate your dedication and heart!
Looking forward to Track season in the Spring! Keep a lookout for registration to open in December. Go Falcons!
St. Bede School Athletic Association Open Positions for 2022-23
We will have three board positions open for NEXT school year if you are looking to get involved with a super fun group that works together to run our awesome Athletic Program here at St. Bede. If you'd like to get your feet wet this year, you can start shadowing now in order to learn the ropes while we still have our current board intact!
- Athletic Director – Tina Lutzke
- Secretary/Registrar – Angela Shannon
- Events & Fundraising Coordinator – OPEN (currently Jacinda Collins)
- Treasurer – Lauren Ziemba
- Concessions Director - Michael Paulino (currently Linda Pryde)
- Assistant Concessions Director - OPEN (currently Michael Paulino)
- Volunteer Coordinator – OPEN (currently Julie Webb)
- Spirit Wear and Equipment Coordinator - Tammy Mortensen
- Uniform Coordinator – Lori Banner
Additionally, we're looking for someone to coordinate the St. Bede School Holiday Bazaar next year and someone to start shadowing to learn how to coordinate the St. Bede School Halloween Hustle.
Please contact Tina Lutzke at email@example.com or 414-322-1557 if you are interested!
St. Bede School Halloween Hustle
Once again, the St. Bede School Student Council is providing a special classroom treat/party to two classrooms - the classroom with the highest percentage of participation (including teachers) and the classroom with the highest amount of pledges.
The pledges and registrations have been tallied! As of tonight, 7th Grade is in the lead with the most pledges, and 6th grade is in the lead for the highest percentage of classroom participation!
The contest will close Saturday, October 23.
Online Registration is currently closed, but you can still turn in a paper form OR register the morning of the event at the pavilion. (Day-of Registration is an additional $5 per event.)
Interested in pledging a classroom? Pledges can be turned into the office in an envelope marked "St. Bede School Halloween Hustle Pledge for _____ " (insert specific classroom, Priest, or pup)
Pledges can also be made online at https://www.stbedeschoolhh.com/pledge-donate
*Please note total pledges posted online through the above link are not the net amounts after fees and some donations were incorrectly designated. The posted chart has the correct net amounts.
We can't wait for Saturday - thank you for everything!
The weather is becoming cold and blustery outside
It’s that time of year again when the weather is becoming cold and blustery outside! We would like to stress the importance of students wearing the appropriate outerwear to school. Our goal is to have students go outside for recess whenever possible. Please make sure that your children are dressed appropriately so that they might be warm and comfortable, and protected from the elements. Students should come to school wearing a winter jacket, gloves, scarves, hat, etc. A sweatshirt or hooded shirt is not considered appropriate outerwear when it is extremely cold outside. Make sure to label all extra gear with your child’s name; we have a lot of removable clothing items this time of year, and labels help us keep our students and teachers organized. It also enables us to return “lost” items to their rightful owners!
Have a great weekend everyone and I hope to see you tomorrow at the Halloween Hustle!