Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 3/23
I am pleased to see so many students utilizing IXL & TenMarks at home. The IXL challenges are continuing! Challenge #3 is due this Wednesday & Challenge #4 goes through the end of quarter (3/31). Remember: IXL can be accessed at home, and one computer lab is open from 7:30-8:05 each morning for students to practice.
Challenge #3 (3/18-3/25): F.4, U.10, W.4
Challenge #4 (3/25-3/31): D.23, Q.4, S.7
UPDATES, OBJECTIVES, & LINKS
I Love to Read Month Continues...
THIS THURSDAY - 3/26: Stripes & Dots Day -- wear anything with stripes or dots
THIS FRIDAY - 3/27: “Springy Best” Day -- Friday is Spring picture day!
3/31: Hilarious Hair & Hats Day
**Students are working to earn a reading & movie party NEXT Tuesday to celebrate end-of-quarter & the conclusion of a successful I Love to Read month!
We are on WEEK 7 for our Nightly Roots & Vocabulary Homework!
This Week's Important Updates:
- Science Museum Trip Payment: Payment for our Science Museum trip must be made in full by April 10th. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
- 4th Grade Music Projects: Music projects are due next Monday, March 30th. Please see the attached flyer from Mrs. Johnson for further information.
- Homework Routines: Students are assigned to reading 30-35+ minutes nightly, practicing math facts for 5-10+, completing the nightly Study Link/math assignment, and completing a roots assignment nightly.
- Transportation Changes?: Please write a note in your child’s planner, send me a note, or send me an e-mail any time your child has a change in transportation plans. This is very important! Thank you!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are reading Encantado: Island of the Pink Dolphin and working on nonfiction text strategies.
- We are developing our understanding of figurative language (similes, metaphors, personification, hyperbole, alliteration).
- We are utilizing the PRUNES (Preview, Read x2, Underline, Notice key words, Eliminate, Survey/ check) strategy while reading passages and answering questions.
- We are building reading stamina and working on expanding vocabulary.
- We are renaming fractions and decimals and percents.
- We are exploring repeating and terminating decimals.
- We are working on determining the perimeter and area of irregular figures.
- We are creating tally charts, tables, and graphs.
- We are developing speed and accuracy with multiplication and division facts. Please help your child remember to practice facts at home each night for both multiplication and division! It is essential that students know basic facts with speed and accuracy. Thank you!
- In Science, we are inventors/inventions and advances in technology.
- In Social Studies, students are learning about the southern region of the United States. Students will have a test on ALL states and capitals that have been studied thus far THIS THURSDAY.
Check out Learning Locator!
Your child now has received his or her codes for both Math and Reading. Visit: http://perspective.pearsonaccess.com/perspective/appmanager/mn/family to get started! Please email me for your child's code/another copy of the code sheet if needed.
Wishing you a terrific week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.