Mrs. Tuttle's CAP Class ~ Shields Elementary
February 25, 2016
Did you hear the news? 6th Grade CAP!!
Working wth Kindergarten
The Kindergarten teachers have asked if CAP students would come teach their students about Hawaii. So on Friday, our class will be visiting all the Kindergarten rooms to complete an interactive book with them. We also have leis to share! I don't know who is more excited about this event, the CAP students or the Kindergarteners!
In our class, students will be "visiting" Hawaii through text and videos. They will be completing an online course in Schoology to learn about Hawaii and show what they've learned. Their final activity will be to write a response about if they would or would not like to visit Hawaii and why or why not. Of course text evidence is a must!
- The qr code on the homework for the area model song was incorrect. I shared the correct link in Schoology.
- The spelling word should be "decathlon." This was also posted on Schoology and we talked about it in class so all students were made aware of my mistake on Tuesday.
- When revising a rubric in Schoology, it was showing that students only received 1 or 2 out of 6 points. The old rubric was only worth 2 points so the students did just fine, but when it switched to 1 or 2 out of 6 it made it look like the students did very poorly. My mistake! I'm sorry for causing concern for some of the students (and you!). I have since fixed this so all should be well!
Thanks for allowing me to try again!
President Biography Bottles
We are hoping to put them on display at the Lewes Library too!
I try to leave frequent feedback to celebrate what students are doing well and let them know areas they can improve. This week we looked at a question from an earlier comprehension quiz and then at students responses (no student names were displayed). Students scored the responses using the rubric. They offered some very constructive critique! My goal is they will apply this critique to their own work!
To support this at home when you are reviewing any written work please encourage them to be using text evidence in their reading responses. I will be providing additional practice for this skill in future homework!
Schoology and Grades
Just a couple notes:
- I post updates in the CAP GROUP so if something comes up (like my mistakes) I try to post asap so students get the information. I remind the students to check Schoology often and they do this first thing when they enter class to make sure they are on top of items. You can also remind them to check Schoology from home.
- Some assignments are graded in Schoology, but will not be included in eSchool which is the program used for report cards.
- Assignments in Schoology that are graded by a "completion rubric" will never be included in eSchool as this is more of a formative assessment where I'm looking for completion and understanding of content so I know where we need to go next with instruction. So even though a 1 out of 2 is a 50% it would never be recorded in the actual gradebook!
NEW!! Spelling Homework NEW!!
Students will need to know how to spell and the meaning of the prefix/suffix of the week as well as the example words that use the prefix. Each week students can earn five bonus points for finding their own word that includes the prefix/suffix.