Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Contains all essential amino acids
- 5.4 times the calcium in 2% milk
- 8.7 times the omega-3 in wild Atlantic salmon
- Lose weight without starving
- Balance blood sugar
- Feel more energized all day
- Bake with less fat
- Age-defying antioxidants
- Cut cravings for food
Nutrients in Chia Seeds
There are vitamins B, D, & E
There are minerals such as Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Zinc, Boron, & Niacin
Chia was harvested in the Valley of Mexico from 2600-2000 B.C.
Pre-Colombian civilizations used chia as a raw material for medicines.
Aztecs also offered chia to the gods during religious ceremonies.
Chia seeds first started growing in the center and valley of Mexico City,
Recipe: Chocolate Pistachio Chia Shake
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, plus more to thin if desired
- 2 tablespoons black chia seeds
- 3 whole medjool dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup roasted + shelled pistachios, plus more for topping
- 3 frozen medium + very ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt or use coconut milk yogurt for a vegan option
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a small bowl mix together the milk and chia seeds. Let this sit for 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile add the pistachios and dates to the bowl of a food processor or high powered blender. Blend until the mixture becomes finely chopped and almost butter like, scraping down the side as you go. You want to get it as smooth as possible. I let the mixture blend for about 5 minutes.
To the blender add the chia seeds + milk mixture, the frozen banana chunks, cocoa powder, greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Blend until thick, creamy, and smooth, about 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed. If the shake is too thick add more milk to your liking.