The Counseling Capsule
From the CYES School Counselors
For the Week of February 8 - 12, 2016
February's Pillar is Citizenship
A Lesson on Citizenship
Here is a cute video lesson on citizenship for your students!
The 6 Pillar Shuffle
Students will be learning this and having fun with this at the Assemblies on Wednesday.
Get your cheese on and join in, teachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Special Events and Activities this month
Events, Meetings and Activities this Week...
Citizenship Food Drive for Backpack Buddies program February 8 - 26, 2016
PTO will be providing Boxes to Teachers for the Food Drive. Hold Tight!
Spelling Bee, Monday, February 8, 2016
Positive Behavior Assemblies, Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Gifted Screenings, Wednesday, February 10, 2016
PTO Meeting, Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7 pm
Spirit Day: Wear Purple! Friday, February 12, 2016
Coming Next Week...
Proud to be Me Week (spirit week) February 16- 19, 2016
Advisory Council Meeting, February 16, 2016 7 pm
Jump Rope For Heart, February 25, 2016 6:30 pm
Mrs. Lang's Schedule (Grades 1, 3 and 5)
Mrs. Lang's Schedule is as follows:
Monday, February 8
Food Drive Begins
9:10 am Character Slips Announcements
9:20 - 10 Classroom Counseling Mrs. Borror Grade 3 Study Skills Bingo Cards
10 - 10:40 Classroom Counseling Mr. Barton Grade 3 Study Skills Bingo Cards
10:40 Classroom Attendance Review and Reporting
11 am - 1 pm Lunch Groups
2 - 3:30 Spelling Bee Grades 3, 4,5
Tuesday, February 9
7:45 am Positive Incentive Program Committee Meeting (Character)
9:20 - 10:05 Grade 5 CLT Meeting (Struggling Student Form, Review of Supports)
10:15 Classroom Attendance Review and Reporting
10:40 - 11:20 Grade 3 CLT Meeting (Struggling Student Form, Review of Supports)
1:35 - 2:20 Grade 1 CLT Meeting (Struggling Student Form, Review of Supports)
2:25 - 3:00 Classroom Counseling - Ms. Paulhamus * - Paying Attention Penguin
(* Please note that this may be rescheduled if I attend a CLT meeting at that time for Mrs. Raquedan who is not at CYES on Tuesdays)
Wednesday, February 10
8:30 RIP meeting S. E . 1Simmons
9:20 - 10:00 Assembly, Grades 1 and 2
10:00 - 11 Classroom Attendance Review and Reporting
11 - 12:30 Individual Counseling
12:30 -2:15 Gifted Screenings
2:15 - 3:00 Assembly, Grades 3, 4 and 5
3:15 IEP Meeting
6:30 pm PWRCA Board Meeting
7:00 pm PTO Meeting ( Mrs. Lang will not be in attendance due to above conflict)
9:20 - 10 Classroom Counseling Mrs Jones Grade 3 Study Skills Bingo Cards
10:00 - 10:40 Classroom Counseling Mrs Crouch Grade 3 - Leadership
10:45 Classroom Attendance Review and Reporting
11 - 4 pm Mrs. Lang OUT at KLC - Elementary School Counseling Dept Meeting and Mentoring
Friday, February 12
Spirit Day- Wear Purple!
AM Character Slips announcements
9:30 Classroom Attendance Review and Reporting
10 - 10:40 Classroom Counseling Mrs Bouch Grade 3 Study Skills Bingo Cards
11-12:30 Goal Setters Lunch Bunches
12:30 - 2 Individual Counseling
2:25 - 3:00 Classroom Counseling Mrs. Coster Grade 1 Regina's Mistake
***3:00 - 3:30 BLAST*** (since we didn't have it Thursday)
Monthly Awareness Dates : February
African American History Month
National Boost-Your-Self-Esteem Month
National Children’s Dental Health Month
National Teen Dating Violence Awareness
and Prevention Month
1-5 National School Counseling Week
1 National Freedom Day
2 Groundhog Job Shadow Day
3 Digital Learning Day
9-15 Random Acts of Kindness Week
22 World Thinking Day
23–March 1 National Eating Disorders Awareness Week
These principles are what we use to guide our collaborative efforts in creating a firm foundation for our school community based upon the Six Pillars of Character.
Briefly, these principles are:
- The school community promotes core ethical and performance values as the foundation of good character.
- The school defines “character” comprehensively to include thinking, feeling, and doing.
- The school uses a comprehensive, intentional, and proactive approach to character development.
- The school creates a caring community.
- The school provides students with opportunities for moral action.
- The school offers a meaningful and challenging academic curriculum that respects all learners, develops their character, and helps them to succeed.
- The school fosters students’ self-motivation.
- The school staff is an ethical learning community that shares responsibility for character education and adheres to the same core values that guide the students.
- The school fosters shared leadership and long-range support of the character education initiative.
- The school engages families and community members as partners in the character-building effort.
- The school regularly assesses its culture and climate, the functioning of its staff as character educators, and the extent to which its students manifest good character.
These 11 principles are the goals of Chris Yung Elementary School and our community as we work together to form new traditions, incentives, and a positive school climate within our school culture.
Bet you didn't know there were 11 of them!
CHARACTER EDUCATION ARTICLES, LINKS, AND RESOURCES
Teaching Good Citizenship - Five Themes
Tips for Creating a Culture of Kindness in Your School
The Responsive Classroom - Why is everyone so nice in here?
WEBSITES and LINKS
Awesome Blog by Barbara Gruener
Have a great week, everyone!